martialartsnerd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This one's for all those who are either new to clinchfighting or looking to improve their clinchfighting.

What's a common problem you started out with that was frustrating af to get over?

For me, it was learning to relax and stop trying to just overpower my opponent.

Took me about 6 months to get comfortable in that, and no lie, getting manhandled by my training partner in that range wasn't fun at the time!

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
This one's for all those who are either new to clinchfighting or looking to improve their clinchfighting.

What's a common problem you started out with that was frustrating af to get over?

For me, it was learning to relax and stop trying to just overpower my opponent.

Took me about 6 months to get comfortable in that, and no lie, getting manhandled by my training partner in that range wasn't fun at the time!
Working clinch defense, I hate the hand/glove in my face when you push up and to one side. I love using it on others but I hate to be on the other end of that.

OP
M

martialartsnerd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Working clinch defense, I hate the hand/glove in my face when you push up and to one side. I love using it on others but I hate to be on the other end of that.
Ooh, you talking about getting cross-faced? Yeah, it does suck to receive one of those. Once I get tired of it these days, I like to go for an overhook.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
looking to improve their clinchfighting.
1. Control inside and on top (not outside and under).
2. Fight against your opponent's 1 finger, the thumb (not 4 fingers).
3. Rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm is rotating (not against it).
4. Don't let your opponent's hands to pass your elbow joints.
5. Try to achieve that you have 1 grip on your opponent while he has no grip on you.
6. The moment that your opponent has a grip on you, break it apart (or pin his arm against your body).
7. If your opponent wants to bend his arm, help him to bend even more.
8. If your opponent wants to straight his arm, help him to straight even more.
9. Separate your opponent's arms away from his head/body.
10. If your opponent's arms are close to his head, lock his arms along with his head.
11. Use your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm.
12. Guide your opponent's arm to a location that won't give you any trouble.
13. ...

You can write a PhD dissertation on this subject.

OP
M

martialartsnerd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1. Control inside and on top (not outside and under).
2. Fight against your opponent's 1 finger, the thumb (not 4 fingers).
3. Rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm is rotating (not against it).
4. Don't let your opponent's hands to pass your elbow joints.
5. Try to achieve that you have 1 grip on your opponent while he has no grip on you.
6. The moment that your opponent has a grip on you, break it apart (or pin his arm against your body).
7. If your opponent wants to bend his arm, help him to bend even more.
8. If your opponent wants to straight his arm, help him to straight even more.
9. Separate your opponent's arms away from his head/body.
10. If your opponent's arms are close to his head, lock his arms along with his head.
11. Use your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm.
12. Guide your opponent's arm to a location that won't give you any trouble.
13. ...

You can write a PhD dissertation on this subject.
You absolutely can, and while I appreciate the input, I feel like I should've clarified what exactly I was asking.

I was asking everyone what they felt their most common problem was in clinchfighting.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You absolutely can, and while I appreciate the input, I feel like I should've clarified what exactly I was asking.

I was asking everyone what they felt their most common problem was in clinchfighting.
The most common problem in clinch fight is people don't follow those guideline.

For example, A has 2 grips on B. B has 2 grips on A. Nobody can do anything. It's a deadlock.

The guideline is when this happen, you should break it apart and start all over again.

dead_lock1.jpg