(Choe's) hapkido?

racerx65

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I have an 11 year old son with about a year of experience at a great school, learning thai boxing & ju jitsu. He loves the fact that he goes to school and trainsin real world situations: face to face and on the ground fighting. Problem is this: it's almost an hour and we find that we cannot attend much now due to schedules. There is a Choe's Hapkido 5 minutes from us. Can you help me with the effectiveness of hapkido? He is more interested in practical usability than show/tournaments. Also, any worjd on the Choe's schools? Ours is in Mt Airy, Md. Thanks for any help or opinions!

OP
R

racerx65

White Belt
Reaction score
hope it was okay to post such a newb question here. look forward to any advice/opinions about the effectiveness of this art in school/street application and any specific knowledge of the Mt Airy School. Thanks. --chris.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to Martial Talk, as far as the question Hapkido can be great for alot of people. The best thing one can tell you is go to the school and watcha few classes and maybe even try one or two and go from there. It is always best to try before you get involved in it.

OP
R

racerx65

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Instructor of the school said the same thing, offering a couple intro lessons. I know my son will love to train. I just thought I read a few post in the past saying that HKD had a lot of holes in it relating to practical self-defense (fighting).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks. Instructor of the school said the same thing, offering a couple intro lessons. I know my son will love to train. I just thought I read a few post in the past saying that HKD had a lot of holes in it relating to practical self-defense (fighting).

It can if you do not have the right instructors for it, remember it is all about the instructor and there staff on what is really tought. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Latest Discussions