Chodan-bo

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there anyone who can give me more info on chodan-bo....
Many Thanks..

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean the probationary black belt rank? I'm not a big fan of those by the way. Either you're a black belt or not in my book. At my school, the probationary black belt students are brown belts.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
A agree with dancingalone, I don't like them either. For me you are or you aren't. I know there are a lot of instructors that make a lot of money on this (rank) and I think it is wrong. That's as bad as the instructor that test a student and then wait a year or so to see if they will stay around. If they leave their paper work is never put in and the instructor pockets the money. Once again, it is wrong. Can you imagine a college working like that. You go, you pay your money, you pass your courses and then they say that your certificate is a probationary one. Oh my! Sorry, I've seen this happen too many times to too many people and it just kind of ticks me off.

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your views....
Still not sure what to do about this...
My instructor is starting a course after xmas and im in a dilema..
I no if i take this course i will only be teaching the younger students[kicking cubs] and this entails basics, and also benefit from some one on one with my instructor..
I enjoy everything about the club and feel i have something to offer younger students and also new adult students..
My heart says go for it ..but my head says no..
My own training will continue so im realy tempted..
ANY ADVICE......

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for your views....
Still not sure what to do about this...
My instructor is starting a course after xmas and im in a dilema..
I no if i take this course i will only be teaching the younger students[kicking cubs] and this entails basics, and also benefit from some one on one with my instructor..
I enjoy everything about the club and feel i have something to offer younger students and also new adult students..

Is this a new topic? I am confused as to what this has to do with a probationary black belt.

My heart says go for it ..but my head says no..
My own training will continue so im realy tempted..
ANY ADVICE......
Why does your head say "no"? What are the downsides?

If you have the time to do it, and your Instructor invited you to do it, then it may be good to do!

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
Is this a new topic? I am confused as to what this has to do with a probationary black belt.

Why does your head say "no"? What are the downsides?

If you have the time to do it, and your Instructor invited you to do it, then it may be good to do!

Sorry if this was confusing...
The probationary black belt course will start after xmas and i have until then to decide if i want to be part of it...

My head says no because part of me feels that while i am still training for my black belt i should leave the instructing side to the current black belts..And also theres a worry that students will, maybe not take me as serious knowing that i am not a full black belt..

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry if this was confusing...
The probationary black belt course will start after xmas and i have until then to decide if i want to be part of it...

My head says no because part of me feels that while i am still training for my black belt i should leave the instructing side to the current black belts..And also theres a worry that students will, maybe not take me as serious knowing that i am not a full black belt..

Oh!

That is an interesting question! I look forward to the answers you will get. The way I see it is this way: So what if people think that you are only a probationary black belt? You ARE a probationary black belt, no?

You can still get your licks in there, get some experience. How can one learn to lead a class sometime except if they practice that? Besides, if your Instructor gave you the nod to do it, then its all okay. The Instructor has to know.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is your instructor starting this program with the idea being that he needs more instructors? If that's the case then it's a red flag to me. If your style doesn't allow anyone but blackbelts to teach then only full blackbelts should teach. If, like mine, it allows brown belts (or whatever comes right before black) to teach then he should ask you to teach at your current rank. I'm with most others in this thread on the topic of probie blackbelts. I don't like 'em. If your instuctor believes you are ready for sho-dan then he should test and promote you (and give you your certificate) full out with no strings attached.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Are you testing for or testing from 1st kup? In my school, you'd be respected by anyone you outrank, whether you are black belt or not. It's part of the courtesy/integrity in practice that would be taught to white belts.

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Are you testing for or testing from 1st kup? In my school, you'd be respected by anyone you outrank, whether you are black belt or not. It's part of the courtesy/integrity in practice that would be taught to white belts.

I am 40 yrs young....
At the moment i hold a blue belt..Next belt is brown,then brown-white and finaly black..

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
Is your instructor starting this program with the idea being that he needs more instructors? If that's the case then it's a red flag to me. If your style doesn't allow anyone but blackbelts to teach then only full blackbelts should teach. If, like mine, it allows brown belts (or whatever comes right before black) to teach then he should ask you to teach at your current rank. I'm with most others in this thread on the topic of probie blackbelts. I don't like 'em. If your instuctor believes you are ready for sho-dan then he should test and promote you (and give you your certificate) full out with no strings attached.

This indeed is a very good point..I believe he does need more instructors,and there is also a small matter of a £400 fee for the course,which set alarm bells ringing for me..

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, he's offering to let you jump over two ranks if you agree to pay $800? That's more than alarm bells, my friend, that's lights and sirens and confetti falling from the ceiling. I may be reading the situation all wrong but if my instructor had made that offer to me at blue belt I'd have started checking his head for the lump he got from the falling anvil.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is for theletch1.......................................................................

:whip:

Thanks, I needed that.....................................

Very well put.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
And I'll just confirm what everyone else has said up to this point. Something is very wrong if your instructor is willing to allow students to jump rank in exchange for a fee. It doesn't matter if he is offering you a probation type rank, a black belt, or a pink belt. If you are comfortable enough talking to your instructor, talk to him and find out what the cause of this is, and make a judgement call based on what you think is best, which from the sounds of it, you already have a good idea of.

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
Must admit that this was the one point[money] that had indeed got the alarm bells ringing...
The reason for this fee [so we have been told ] is that the Governing sports council in England are setting new guidelines for instructors and this is a course run by them..
So the money is payable to them..Hmmmm.
Thanks for all replies[especialy the Letch1] think i need to ask more questions...

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
in the matter of asking more questions, make sure he gives some sort of paperwork from this governing sports council, a brochure or something, to make sure that this isn't just some farse.

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've got a Chodan-bo rank
Its normal rank between 1st kup and 1st dan
its for preparation for 1st dan test - something like revision of all kup grades and pretest for black. Black trim and red belt (black for tournaments and demos)

OP
K

kelvino

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got a Chodan-bo rank
Its normal rank between 1st kup and 1st dan
its for preparation for 1st dan test - something like revision of all kup grades and pretest for black. Black trim and red belt (black for tournaments and demos)

Did u pay any sort of fee?..Or attend any course to put yourself at this rank?

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Only examination fee. Three months waiting from 1st Gup.
its 120 zloty = about 40 bucks, and board costs (14 bords for about 1 buck each one) so its total 54 bucks.
From Chodan-bo to chodan you waiting minimum one year

Latest Discussions