Chinese names for strikes and fists?

kdizzle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

Double Noob here (New to Kung Fu and MartialTalk). I am 40 and wishing I started my journey when I was 5 like my son. I wanted him to go to Kung Fu and now I am loving it with him.

My question: Does anyone know of a good reference for looking up chinese names of strikes and fists? I am taking Choy Li Fut. What I lack in body ability at my age I find I can learn more because I am interested in learning the entire martial art not just the martial part.

Thanks to all.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, we could fill the whole site with CLF terms!

I recommend a Book by Doc Fai Wong: "Choy Li Fut Kung Fu: The Dynamic Fighting Art Descended From the Monks of the Shaolin Temple" It is a great introductory book with lot's of terminology.

Also keep in mind that your instructor will give you the terminology as you learn the movements :)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Check this online website they have a good selection of terminology for those that want to know the Chinese/English translation however my only complaint is that they don't utilize the characters, so sometimes its hard to understand it by the English translation which in turn is several times easier if they utilized the Chinese characters. But decent overall.

http://www.lexicool.com/online-dictionary.asp?FSP=C343&FKW=martial-arts

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are many CLF terms missing in there. Great resource though!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello All,

Double Noob here (New to Kung Fu and MartialTalk). I am 40 and wishing I started my journey when I was 5 like my son. I wanted him to go to Kung Fu and now I am loving it with him.

My question: Does anyone know of a good reference for looking up chinese names of strikes and fists? I am taking Choy Li Fut. What I lack in body ability at my age I find I can learn more because I am interested in learning the entire martial art not just the martial part.

Thanks to all.

Your sifu should give you everything you need. What are you looking for in particular?

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
蔡李佛, Cai Li Fo:

Which branch do you study?

京梅?
北勝?
江門?
or 佛山洪勝?

Or are there more than the 4 main branches? I would guess maybe there are some subsets? Sorry, not incredibly knowledgeable on this topic about Choy Li Fut.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
蔡李佛, Cai Li Fo:

京梅?
北勝?
江門?
or 佛山洪勝?

Or are there more than the 4 main branches? I would guess maybe there are some subsets? Sorry, not incredibly knowledgeable on this topic about Choy Li Fut.

Eh branch don't matter... CLF is CLF when it comes to basics. Chan/Hung Sing(s)/Buk Sing is all CLF.

What are you looking for?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
蔡李佛, Cai Li Fo:

京梅?
北勝?
江門?
or 佛山洪勝?

While Cai Li Fo is correct, most CLF practitioners use the cantonese spelling to honor it's origins in the south. And like the poster above noted, when it comes to terminology and basics, CLF is CLF.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While Cai Li Fo is correct, most CLF practitioners use the cantonese spelling to honor it's origins in the south. And like the poster above noted, when it comes to terminology and basics, CLF is CLF.

That's true but for Mandarin speakers we generally use Cai(Tsai) Li Fo personally I would use the word's Choy Li Fut as well. But my Cantonese is decent but not as well as Mandarin since I grew up with Mandarin.

I understand what your saying however thanks for sharing...

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh branch don't matter... CLF is CLF when it comes to basics. Chan/Hung Sing(s)/Buk Sing is all CLF.

What are you looking for?

Just more info on the particular family line that the op is from as to get a better understanding, personally I'm not that familiar with CLF. So however a dumb question I stated it helps me understand more about CLF.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just more info on the particular family line that the op is from as to get a better understanding, personally I'm not that familiar with CLF. So however a dumb question I stated it helps me understand more about CLF.

Gotcha... true... the OP could give a little more info on what's being looked for & it'd help.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's true but for Mandarin speakers we generally use Cai(Tsai) Li Fo personally I would use the word's Choy Li Fut as well. But my Cantonese is decent but not as well as Mandarin since I grew up with Mandarin.

I understand what your saying however thanks for sharing...

I appreciate that. Personally, I prefer using mandarin. I respect the use of the Cantonese, I would just like to have one pronunciation for a character instead of two or more. I've worked hard to get my Mandarin to where it is (and it is nowhere near where I want it) and I personally have a hard time understanding cantonese.

I rejoiced when Pinyin 拼音 was formally adopted in Taiwan this past January.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic, my CLF linage is through 佛山 under 黄德輝. How about everyone else?

Latest Discussions