Children's Thai Kickboxing in UK

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
From Shocking pictures which show tearful five-year-olds forced to fight in kickboxing contests

A blonde-haired girl with her hands strapped into boxing gloves sobs at the side of the ring.
In another image her twin brother takes a direct hit to the face from a sparring partner.

Miah and Kian Flanagan are just five years old.

But already they are seasoned fighters, taking part in an alarmingly fast-growing 'sport' that pits children against other children in the terrifying public arena of the boxing ring.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok what does this accomplish in the long run, low self esteem and go ahead and abuse me it will be OK, because I am a fighter please this is child abuse plan and simple. Now if they are enjoying themself and protection is being held in the highest regards then it is great.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't really see a whole lot there that is shocking. 5 year olds in our dojo learn to spar, and compete in tournaments. Generally, they have a lot of fun, and they look really cute all decked out in their gear. The only thing I really saw in the article is the girl that would cry before her fights. Clearly, she doesn't want to fight, and shouldn't be forced. However, that is really no different from any other kids being forced into gymnastics, equestrian, or similar sports that also have their dangers.

Sounds like everyone is hyping themselves up into a lather over nothing. If something inapppropriate is going on, then shut the event down. However, don't ban kids from learning to spar and fight in martial arts. My experience with the little ones at my dojo indicates that they really seem to enjoy themselves, and no one usually gets hurt.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree about teaching 5 year old kids Martial Art (I will too if my daughter wants when she is that age).
But my idea of teaching a kid and that article are two different things. Kids are still in development, shocking their bodies with sparring can be more dangerous that anyone can think. Not to mention that putting the wrong kid (as in psycologically) in front of sparring can send away the kid from MA even when he/she will be an adult.

There are many things, MA related, that a kid that young can learn and have fun at the same time. But I would darw a huge line between the kid MA and the adult MA.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I posted before on another thread on this subject this site will probably tell you what it's about! It isn't about MA as such but parents living through their children and making money out of it. It's a shame the parents chose Thai boxing though.

http://www.strictlybabyfightclub.com/

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone gave this link on U Tube to the programme. This is part 6 where the boy Thai is fighting. There's more of the programme if you look at the index.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions