Children's Curriculum

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does your school have a specific curriculum for children or do they do the same program as the adults or perhaps a modified version of what the adults do.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our youth, have a modified version of the adult program. We have the basic self defense attacks. Wrist grabs, lapel grabs, bear hugs, chokes, punches, kicks. We also show defenses for full nelson, tackle, mount, guard, & club. Along with a few jujutsu throws.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We modify to some degree for all childern can't handle the hard grinding work from day to day, there body just can't keep up right now....., mine can't anymore either.GOD BLESS AMERICA

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our 'Kids' follow the I.K.K.O. curriculum the same as the adults, though I don't expect a 9 yr old yellow belt to comprehend the information as I would an adult yellow belt. We do expect them to punch, kick, and know their basic stances as an adult. Kids, especially boys grow rapidly as we all know, and when they start maturing and a growth spurt hits them, they may have to play catch-up with their brain to their body- All arms and legs..etc. So when one day the 11 yr old who had Short 1 down pat, suddenly is falling over their size 11 feet at age 13 and their striking is 'off', be aware that it's not your teaching, or their lack of retaining the info,. but it's a phase in their development and the instructor needs to be understanding.
How I got off on this tangent :shrug: :D

~Tess

O

OC Kid

I set my training for one month periods. So say this June We're working on pull drags , so I'll teach the foot work then add a say round kick, then side, , ax ect then add the hand combos say bf/ body. certain stances are covered also. I will pick one or two self defense sits, say a r/h grab and punch and we will work on different defenses for it all month. I try to use the block of the month for the s/d sit.
Then the following month go onto something else.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
we don't really modify our teachings for kids but we do not show them everything we show adults.

PPKO
Just wondering;
IF you don't 'show them everything'...
isn't that modified?

How do you determine what you do and don't show the kids compared to the adults?
Thanks PPKO

Your Brother
John

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Just wondering;
IF you don't 'show them everything'...
isn't that modified?

How do you determine what you do and don't show the kids compared to the adults?
Thanks PPKO

Your Brother
John
Yes I guess you are right, we teach the pressure points and feel that some should not be shown to children.

Best regards,
PPKO

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My current school has a separate children's curriculum and my previous school had a modified children's curriculum where the kids learn half the number of techs that the adult's do, and some are shortened. They also do not learn any weapon techs.

Donna :asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
My current school has a separate children's curriculum and my previous school had a modified children's curriculum where the kids learn half the number of techs that the adult's do, and some are shortened. They also do not learn any weapon techs.

Donna :asian:
And they don't spar until 18 or 19.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our dojang, the kids learn "slower" than the adults. Like we do our first form at white belt. They don't learn theirs, till yellow. I guess you can call it "delayed" learning. They also don't learn as much as the adults as far as self defense goes (I think). As far as kicks, blocks, strikes, one steps, ect we all learn the same stuff.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I belive Children's Curriculum should be different than the Teen/Adult Curriculum. Children can not always comprehend the complexities of some of the techniques, forms and theories in most arts. Let the child earn a Junior Black Belt in a course that is designed to fit them. Once they are a Junior Black Belt introduce them to the adult program. Use a graduated learning program such a stars or colored bars or chevrons to show where they are in the adult program. Once they are old enough and have completed all the material let them earn their Adult Black Belt.

8 yr old black belts, 11 yr old 2nd degree black belts, 12 yr old 3rd degree black belts are part of what is ruining the martial arts. It is time to put things back in order.

Latest Discussions