Chernobyl - 20 years later...and nuclear power

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Anyone who lives someplace like Chugach, Alaska, or on various islands in the South Pacific can tell you that localized grids are less reliable, and have no back-up capability. The failure of a decentralized grid could easwily cause people on life-support to die.

People can do without electricity for a little while, but I think in time it will become less unreliable, as it becomes more widespread. And as for the life support thing, hospitals have generators so that doesnt happen.

Here's an interesting report on reducing radioactive waste. http://www.ipd.anl.gov/anlpubs/2003/05/46719.pdf
They're basically working on a way to absorb the radioactive ions using Diphosil, a glass highly resistant to radiation. A guest speaker brought some in to class, they're completely safe, and look like obsidian.

I've been reading up on geothermal heating pumps, and they seem to be a good way to decrease oil consumption. They use the constant heat of the soil underground to heat or cool water that flows from a refridgerator type thing capable of heating or cooling your home. They reduce heating costs by 25-60%, and are even capable of heating water as well. Theyre a bit expensive, but with the govt subsidies and the savings you make, it may be worth it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lorax said:
People can do without electricity for a little while, but I think in time it will become less unreliable, as it becomes more widespread. And as for the life support thing, hospitals have generators so that doesnt happen.

Most homes don't, and people do stay at home on life support.

The Lorax said:
Here's an interesting report on reducing radioactive waste. http://www.ipd.anl.gov/anlpubs/2003/05/46719.pdf
They're basically working on a way to absorb the radioactive ions using Diphosil, a glass highly resistant to radiation. A guest speaker brought some in to class, they're completely safe, and look like obsidian.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with that.

Actually, I think that Accelerator Transmutation of Waste holds the most promise in this area. I was hoping to be able to do a proof of principle prototype, but, well, funding has been cut for all sorts of things, and duty called elsewhere.....:uhohh: :eek: :uhoh: :flushed:

It's the sort of thing that won't actually get done until there's a real perceived need, and then it will be too late to do properly, and will be dangerous....

The Lorax said:
I've been reading up on geothermal heating pumps, and they seem to be a good way to decrease oil consumption. They use the constant heat of the soil underground to heat or cool water that flows from a refridgerator type thing capable of heating or cooling your home. They reduce heating costs by 25-60%, and are even capable of heating water as well. Theyre a bit expensive, but with the govt subsidies and the savings you make, it may be worth it.

I installed this n our present home, and the next house I build will also have geothermal heating and cooling-we'll still burn wood in the winter, though, because we like to......

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Most homes don't, and people do stay at home on life support.

I installed this n our present home, and the next house I build will also have geothermal heating and cooling-we'll still burn wood in the winter, though, because we like to......

I didnt think of that, but isnt that really uncommon?

How is it, does it work as good as oil burning heaters and regular AC? Does it reduce the amount you spend on heating as much as it says it will? And if you dont mind, how much does it cost to install it, none of the company's websites give prices.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lorax said:
I didnt think of that, but isnt that really uncommon?

How is it, does it work as good as oil burning heaters and regular AC? Does it reduce the amount you spend on heating as much as it says it will? And if you dont mind, how much does it cost to install it, none of the company's websites give prices.

Not as uncommon as you'd think, but comon enough to be indemnified against by most utilities insurance policies-along with frozen foods and other "perishable items," heh-heh.

I did it all myself, and it depends upon geography, siting and system-it ran us close to $20,000 in 1997 dollars, when it was all said and done, but a large portion of that was for renting excavation equipment (wstuff I later wound up buying for myself, anyway, but I'm not counting that...)

I haven't turned the furnace on since, except to test it and to bring the temperature up on that first really cold day of the year, but our house is in New mexico, albeit alpine New Mexico, and our winters are generally really, really, mild.Don't have AC, and mostly don't need it-though we do burn wood in the winter, 'cause it smells good and looks good!

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it's a bit expensive but worth looking into.

Latest Discussions