Century Kicks, sizing question

brownie710

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just bought a sparring gear set from Century (my first set of sparring gear) and am curious about the size of my boots. Is it better to have them larger or smaller? I seem to be right at the end of one size and the beginning of another. I'm in my 30's so I doubt I'll need to leave "buffer" room in case I have a growth spurt. They stay on when kicking a bag and doing footwork but there is certainly a good two inches between the tip of my toes and the end of the boot. thanks for any thoughts.
Brownie

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really thought your question would be answered by now, but since it hasn't been:

It really doesn't matter. Just get some that feels good to wear. Honestly, everyone in my class has footwear that is too small, but let's be honest here, boots aren't really needed anyway. The point of them is to protect your feet, but honestly If you are kicking correctly they do absolutely nothing for you. In fact, I've slipped and fell due to my boots lack of traction and my brains perceived notion of it ( my brain thinks i'm wear my Vans, which have incredible traction btw )

The gloves on the other hand are incredibly important.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought a sparring gear set from Century (my first set of sparring gear) and am curious about the size of my boots. Is it better to have them larger or smaller? I seem to be right at the end of one size and the beginning of another. I'm in my 30's so I doubt I'll need to leave "buffer" room in case I have a growth spurt. They stay on when kicking a bag and doing footwork but there is certainly a good two inches between the tip of my toes and the end of the boot. thanks for any thoughts.
Brownie

The problem with dipped foam footgear is that the strap across the bottom is not adjustable and if the boot is too large, your feet will slip out from under it, leaving you kicking with a boot floating above your foot on your ankle somewhere. Not really that good for a tournament, for example. But if the boot is too small, your toes can be unprotected and you can be injured when kicking; it is hard to hold your toes in the proper position when kicking using dipped foot protection anyway.

I have ditched the dipped foam foot protectors and gone to Piranha Gear. They raised the price recently, but they are good. They also fit me better and are more comfortable to wear for a longer period of time.

http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-Foot-Kick-Pads/dp/B000X66JD8

If I had to stick with foam-dipped, I guess I'd rather have too large than too small if my feet did not slip out from under the plastic strap on the bottom. If they did, then I'd go with too small.

Latest Discussions