Not open for further replies.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its been brought to my attention that a few folks have problems with the way we run MartialTalk.

We've been called 'censors', 'nazis', 'facists' and 'communists'. We've been told we take too long to stop a flame, or jump in too early. I've been told we ignore complaints. It was mentioned that we are 'biased' in how we moderate, going 'easy' on some, and 'hard' on others. That we 'lock threads for no reason other than to stifle discussion'.

Well....enough already.

I'm tired of putting in 30, 40+ hours a week, hundreds of dollars of my own cash, to deal with back stabbing, back room muttering, and the slings and arrows of cowards.

Heres your chance.

This thread is for an open discusion of what a vocal few seem to find so very wrong with this forum. You have a problem? Let us know here.

We cant fix it if we dont know its broken.

To those who have worked with us, I apologize for this outburst. I take the shots personally.

And to those who have been muttering, PMing, emailing each other....its time to put up, or shut up n move out.

Any wanker can sit there and *****, but it takes an adult to build a sollution.

As I said before...if anyone has a problem, I'm always here, and open to discussion. In the end, I will do what I think is right for this forum, not me and not you.

The floor is yours folks.

:soapbox:

Note to all MartialTalk Staff - hands off this thread. If this turns into a huge flamefest, then, that just shows the true color of those who flame. No posts are to be tossed, edited, or locked in this thread. No warnings or other action is to be taken against anyone for comments made in -this- thread.

J

Jill666

Have I always agreed 100% with solutions or timing of response to a problem? No- but as I have said elsewhere, unless I want to put my effort where my mouth is, then I'll abide. I don't want the pain in the *** job of moderating.

No problems here, and I'm saying it publicly. I'll not be saying anything else privately.

And for the record, I think you have balls for starting this thread.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
moderators are much more even handed and laid back here than in other forums...yet the flames don't (usually) get out of hand, few members are suspended/banned. Could it be that some are pissed simply because a mod didnt take their side???
It has to be a thankless job; you guys do well with it.

K

Kirk

I saw the phrases "eating *****" and "Blow Jobs" used on the
forum, that went without warning, until I was given a warning
for saying "moisterizing her tatas", and complained about
inconsistancy. Then and only then were these words addressed.

I would point to another thread where I asked why a warning
existed, or a thread was locked. Yet a thorough search, and I
cant' find it! :confused: Pretty sure I checked in the right place.

Remember, it was the thread where there were jokes made at
the expense of a VERY hairyman, who existed in the 19th century.
You guys felt that jokes at this dead man's expense were just too
terrible and horrific, and his feelings MUST be spared! I believe
"this discussion is over" was the final comment there.

Here's yet another suggestion ... why not quote the rule violation
in the locked thread, or when the warning is posted? That would
create more consistancy would it not?

This whole thing came up, because you locked a thread where
the whole message was basically "take it outside". My comment
that the board can and HAS been used to insight, or take pot
shots at someone DOES exist, and SHOULD BE addressed. Yet
that post went unanswered. Note, it was DIRECTED RIGHT AT
A MOD. Yet, went unanswered. And I have proven .. by the fact
that this thread exists .. that nice little snips in signature lines
CAN AND DO HURT PEOPLE'S FEELINGS!

R

Rob_Broad

Give em Hell Kaith! I am no angel, and I have had my complaints but I bring them to you and usually offer a solution. I know how hard the job is especially when you have pain in the *** memebrs who try to destroy what you have build.

Keep up the good work!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I saw the phrases "eating *****" and "Blow Jobs" used on the
forum, that went without warning...

THe post was discussed by the moderation team and action was taken. Just because you didn't see evidence of it doesn't mean nothing was done. Furthermore, no one made a previous complaint about said post, so it wasn't brought to our attention the second it was put on the board. Unfortunately, we cannot watch the board 24/7. We all have real lives that take precedence. However, the action you were warned about took place in a moderator's presence, so therefore, it was dealt with immediately.

Cthulhu

S

sweeper

ewll I don't realy have any complaint, but it is anoying to come across a thred you havn't read, see it getting realy heatd, go through 40+ posts with a page of stuff you want to say than find it locked.. man that's anoying cause there's no outlet.. my brain just wants to scream..

ok but realy I have hod no problems personaly and this is the nicest board I have come across so I got say you are doing some thing (more likely things) right.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Cthulhu
THe post was discussed by the moderation team and action was taken. Just because you didn't see evidence of it doesn't mean nothing was done. Furthermore, no one made a previous complaint about said post, so it wasn't brought to our attention the second it was put on the board. Unfortunately, we cannot watch the board 24/7. We all have real lives that take precedence. However, the action you were warned about took place in a moderator's presence, so therefore, it was dealt with immediately.

Cthulhu

That is a bald faced lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thread was ONLY deleted
AFTER I gave the link to arnisador! Don't try to pass b.s. over on
me, if it was discussed in the mod lounge, Arnisador would've
known EXACTLY what I was talking about instead of saying he
had no knowledge of it!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, we can't monitor the board 24/7.

Do you have access to the moderation team's discussions?

No. I didn't think so.

Do you actually know what we do and do not discuss?

No. I didn't think so.

Did you consider that maybe we discussed the matter, took action, and then took further action at a later time?

No. I didn't think so.

Did you consider that, because we all have other responsibilities to attend to, a couple of the mods may not have the latest information?

No. I didn't think so.

Cthulhu

R

Rob_Broad

No he may not have current modration powers but he does know how thngs are handled here. I really like this place, i brought a lot of people here because I like it here. But from time to time there is some inconsistency in the moderation. Especially whwn the person doesn't pull the Modern Arnis party line.

I seen many things in the Forum Mod Lounge that made me want to scream, but even though I left the mod team, I stayed as a member and continue to bring new people here.

K

Kirk

Again, we can't monitor the board 24/7.

Do you have access to the moderation team's discussions?

No. I didn't think so.

Do you actually know what we do and do not discuss?

No. I didn't think so.

Did you consider that maybe we discussed the matter, took action, and then took further action at a later time?

No. I didn't think so.

Did you consider that, because we all have other responsibilities to attend to, a couple of the mods may not have the latest information?

No. I didn't think so.

Cthulhu

it was DAYS and PAGES later that you guys took action .. mod
presence was there after that fact ... face it .. you guys aren't
consistent at all! I considered all that you said ... and while
I'm not privy to reading the latest, I do have experience in it ...
you expect me to believe that arnisador wasn't aware of a
discussion about that thread for a few days? C'mon, I was a
mod, deliver your lies to someone else.

G

GouRonin

I do not always agree with the way you run things. Some times, however, I agree. This is how life works. Life is not fair but it usually has it's own way of working itself out.

I am sure for each time I am cheesed off about how you run things I should remember that I myself have probably caused you to pull at your hair in frustration.

So far this seems to be the best way to run this board. Until a better solution comes along I suggest you keep doing what you are doing.

K

Kirk

Okay, and the point behind that, Cthulu was what? What point
exactly were you trying to make?

Are you going to sit there, and actually try to pass of that while
arnisador was VERY active in MANY MANY other threads during the
time that the comments were made, and sat there .. and while
he was active in the chat .. the he never once visited the mod
lounge, and hit the thread where you brought up said words,
and discussed it?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The point has already been made. You no longer know what goes on with the moderation team. You no longer know how things are run. It is no longer any of your business, unless we decide to share said information. If that is a problem for you, well, them's the breaks.

Cthulhu

K

Kirk

The point has already been made. You no longer know what goes on with the moderation team. You no longer know how things are run. It is no longer any of your business, unless we decide to share said information. If that is a problem for you, well, them's the breaks.

Cthulhu

Okay, so you're saying that you're not open to suggestions, and
that this thread is just lip service??? And that no matter what
problems anyone has here, then they should just shut up and
take it, cause you da man here, and they're just members? How
it's run is NONE OF MY BUSINESS? Then why even put this thread
up?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Okay, so you're saying that you're not open to suggestions, and
that this thread is just lip service??? And that no matter what
problems anyone has here, then they should just shut up and
take it, cause you da man here, and they're just members? How
it's run is NONE OF MY BUSINESS? Then why even put this thread
up?

Where exactly did I say that, hmmmm? I responded to your complaints, since no one else really had such a vehement response on your topics. At NO TIME did I imply I was not open to suggestions. The simple point was made that you are no longer privy to what the moderation team does or discusses. You apparently completely missed that point and inferred that I was 'not open to suggestions'.

Furthermore, my comments are my opinions and views only and in NO WAY reflect the opinions and views of the other members of the moderation staff.

Now, I'm going to enjoy the BBQ sammich my wife got me from my fave BBQ joint.

Sweet dreams.

Cthulhu

K

Kirk

Where exactly did I say that, hmmmm? I responded to your complaints, since no one else really had such a vehement response on your topics. At NO TIME did I imply I was not open to suggestions. The simple point was made that you are no longer privy to what the moderation team does or discusses. You apparently completely missed that point and inferred that I was 'not open to suggestions'.

Furthermore, my comments are my opinions and views only and in NO WAY reflect the opinions and views of the other members of the moderation staff.

Now, I'm going to enjoy the BBQ sammich my wife got me from my fave BBQ joint.

Sweet dreams.

Cthulhu

And YOUR comments are lies! LIES LIES LIES! First you said that
you guys were aware of it, but did nothing, then said you were all
aware of it, but Arnisador wasn't ... arnisador, who's the most
active moderator on this board. How could ANYTHING be changed
THAT MUCH so that ARNISADOR wouldn't be aware of it?!?!?!

And you didn't address MY comments at all. The fact of the matter
is that within seconds of my comment, I got a rude warning. A
week after someone mentions eating ***** and Blow Jobs, AND I
POINTED IT OUT TO ARNISADOR WHO KNEW NOTHING OF IT, then
you guys took action. You're not explaining the WHY of that are
ya? OR that the fact that shots taken at people in sig lines and
titles need to be addressed. This is the second thread in which
NOTHING was said about it! NOTHING AT ALL!! Zilch! Zip! Zero!
Nada! But I guess you're waiting for Arnisador to make his rare
appearance on this board so that you can discuss with him how
to address it?

R

Rob_Broad

Cthulhu

Back the FiretrUCK up. The idea that a forum where members contribute, some on a daily basis, and you decide what is fine and fair for some and not others is just wrong. Saying it is none of anyone's business unless you decide to share said information just rubs me the wrong way.

I watched Arnisador with his hardon wanting to ban Gou everyday, and it was just pathetic. The slightest comment and it was"Lets ban him". It was a load of bull. You would pipe when you logged on but usually bythen the matter had been decide already.

This forum has a fair size of steady posters who love to contribute but I have seen people singled out the in louge because they rubbed one of the guys the wrong way. I respect Bob for what he has done here. I respect Renegade for really promoting this site at all the events and helping out with the moderation as his schedule permitted. As for you and Arnisador I could really care less. Tshadowchaser really put his heart into the job and has done great.

I also remember reading how in the beginning some of the moderation team didn't want this to be as open a forum as it is. I remeber reading not really wanting the kenpo peopel here or was it all other martial arts other than modern arnis.

IF you want to toss me for this post I could care less. I really like what Bob has started I just think he needs a little more evenhandedness from the rest of his administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions