CCTV in schools

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At a public high school, a student reported that his book bag was stolen. The principal reviewed the footage from the CCTV system and found the perp. The bag was returned. The student's parents requested to know who stole the bag. The principal refused to reveal the identity.

Is what the principal did legal? I think a parent has the right to know who the thief is so their son can avoid this person.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem is you are probably dealing with a minor, under the age of 18, and legally the school may not be able to release the name of the student involved. Whether or not they inform local police or law enforcement is another matter.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh this reminds me of those little kids who stole. There was this little girl in my kindergarten who I still remember to this day because she stole anything not nailed down if you are not paying attention to your stuff.

I always wonder what happens to those kids who stole. Or those kids who were still wetting themselves at school all the way up to like the 4th grade.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The problem is you are probably dealing with a minor, under the age of 18, and legally the school may not be able to release the name of the student involved. Whether or not they inform local police or law enforcement is another matter.

Good point.

If the perp was caught again, would not be surprised to see local police get involved.

Also the student body has their own way of figuring out the identity of the perp.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
At a public high school, a student reported that his book bag was stolen. The principal reviewed the footage from the CCTV system and found the perp. The bag was returned. The student's parents requested to know who stole the bag. The principal refused to reveal the identity.

Is what the principal did legal? I think a parent has the right to know who the thief is so their son can avoid this person.

They certainly would not be criminally or civily liabile for not releasing that information to a private citizen. In fact, the contrary might be the case, they might be civily liable FOR releasing the information.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over here to release the information would be a breach of the Data Protection Act. It might seem an odd twist but the footage collected by the CCTV camera's {that seemingly outnumber us these days} is supposed to be confidential except under certain legally prescribed conditions.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Due to the way schools are today, I'm surprised there was not a school resource officer there. Pretty much every school where I live has them. Whether or not there was one, it may've been a good idea to contact the police. CYA with a paper trail. As for avoiding this person....not sure how that can happen.