Capoiera!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Too funny not to share! (yes this is purposely made to be a joke... no this is not me.)

Last edited by a moderator:

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Normally I don't go out of my way to start trouble with inmates at the prison where I work. But the other day as I was walking down our range of segregation recreation cages I caught an inmate trying to teach another inmate some basic Capoieria. I would have written them both up if it wasn't for the fact they were both so pathetic. After I stopped laughing at them I simply asked them if they would like a piece of cardboard so they could continue their break dancing session on the ground?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got 14 seconds in and had to stop it. He has that type of voice with those types of inflections that literally shut my brain down.

On a related note, I cannot watch the films of Channing Tatum.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Normally I don't go out of my way to start trouble with inmates at the prison where I work. But the other day as I was walking down our range of segregation recreation cages I caught an inmate trying to teach another inmate some basic Capoieria. I would have written them both up if it wasn't for the fact they were both so pathetic. After I stopped laughing at them I simply asked them if they would like a piece of cardboard so they could continue their break dancing session on the ground?

Why write them up? Are they not allowed to practice martial arts?

IMO Capoeira is highly underrated. Learning good striking in any capacity requires understanding of rhythm and movement. If you want to just beat up unskilled people, it probably isn't useful, but learning to fight/compete for a high level I think it has its value.

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No federal inmate in the US prison system is allowed to practice any type of martial art or fighting system. It's bad enough that some of these thugs already come in with prior training. I've seen boxers both amateur and professional. Guys with Karate, Kung Fu, BJJ back grounds. Had a couple who fought MMA. Even had one who was an expert in Escrima. With that being said I and my fellow officers are the ones who have to restrain these guys and break up their fights. Even when their armed and we are not. You see as a federal officer all I carry is a pair of hand cuffs, my keys and a radio, 3 or 4 cell flashlight is optional. So do I really want the inmates who already know what their doing teaching others. Not so much. As far as Capoiera goes it's flashy and impressive if your looking to win over change from tourist or beat the average guy who has never been in a fight. But the stark reality is that it's an art that takes the practitioner off balance, and faces the practitioner away from his opponent with several of its kicks. Not smart. A lot of wide sweeping kicks done with the upper torso below the waist. Good way to end up face down in a hurry. In Capoiera you find more avoidance than blocking so if that's the case why not just run away?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

No federal inmate in the US prison system is allowed to practice any type of martial art or fighting system. It's bad enough that some of these thugs already come in with prior training. I've seen boxers both amateur and professional. Guys with Karate, Kung Fu, BJJ back grounds. Had a couple who fought MMA. Even had one who was an expert in Escrima. With that being said I and my fellow officers are the ones who have to restrain these guys and break up their fights. Even when their armed and we are not. You see as a federal officer all I carry is a pair of hand cuffs, my keys and a radio, 3 or 4 cell flashlight is optional. So do I really want the inmates who already know what their doing teaching others. Not so much. As far as Capoiera goes it's flashy and impressive if your looking to win over change from tourist or beat the average guy who has never been in a fight. But the stark reality is that it's an art that takes the practitioner off balance, and faces the practitioner away from his opponent with several of its kicks. Not smart. A lot of wide sweeping kicks done with the upper torso below the waist. Good way to end up face down in a hurry. In Capoiera you find more avoidance than blocking so if that's the case why not just run away?

If Capoiera is ineffective, whats the problem?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Understanding rhythm and what capoiera has to teach you will do a lot for your striking abilities. That's all I'll say about it.

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every martial art has something that can be taken away from it and learned from. That is the whole foundation of JKD and MMA. I get that and I follow it in my own training. I take my training very seriously. The lives of others and my own depend on it. I don't think anyone here can dispute the fact that there are some forms out there that are less than practical when it comes to true self defence or combat situations. Don't get me wrong if your in it for the flash and fitness of Capoiera or the inner peace and balance found in Ti Chi that's cool. But if it came down to it and I had to choose between going up against a boxer, wrestler, TKD practitioner, or the guy who does Capoiera. Well bring on the Solid Gold Dancer.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did not know inmates weren't allowed to train martial arts either, although it makes sense. What about Tai Chi? Does that count?

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did not know inmates weren't allowed to train martial arts either, although it makes sense. What about Tai Chi? Does that count?

No on the Tai Chi because if you speed up the movements of Ti Chi you have a very proficient form of Kung Fu. The good news for the inmate population is that they can do yoga! Although I hear that not to many inmates are that crazy about the squatting dog position. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No on the Tai Chi because if you speed up the movements of Ti Chi you have a very proficient form of Kung Fu. The good news for the inmate population is that they can do yoga! Although I hear that not to many inmates are that crazy about the squatting dog position. :)

I wouldn't think they would be lol.