Cancelling Zones

K

Kirk

What is required for true zone cancelling?

If I kick a man in the groin (Ideal phase), and he bends over, have
I cancelled his height, or have I merely dropped his height?

What constitutes a true zone cancel??

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kirk

I will take a stab at it.

Basically striking, or checking an opponent in a manner where they cannot kick, punch, block, etc. you for a period of time desired.
If you kick an opponent in the groin you actually could say you both Check and Drop his height. You check his height in the manner that he won't be able to kick you or probably even move his legs, except to fall. And you drop his height by him bending over (probably) due to the kick. This is just a basic explanation. I am sure it can be tore apart, and broke down ALOT more. :):asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Unfortunately you've done neither, you've simply brought a target closer to weapon, if that was your intent. To drop or cancel height would require the use of weight on the legs, to add, subtract, or equalize in a broader base. A groin kick will probably not have that effect. However, by bending him over in the front, you have temporarily disabled the ability to kick to the front, but not to the rear, and the opposite if you bend them back, the ability to kick would be to the front and not rear but it hasn't cancelled the ability to kick in a true height cancellation.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Unfortunately you've done neither, you've simply brought a target closer to weapon, if that was your intent. To drop or cancel height would require the use of weight on the legs, to add, subtract, or equalize in a broader base. A groin kick will probably not have that effect.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I guess it depends on how hard you kick them. LOL! :D

OP
K

Kirk

Unfortunately you've done neither, you've simply brought a target closer to weapon, if that was your intent. To drop or cancel height would require the use of weight on the legs, to add, subtract, or equalize in a broader base. A groin kick will probably not have that effect.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Okay, then let me put it another way. If someone does, say a
lapel grab, and I pin that hand as I step forward .. he can't back
away from me, but he can close in on me ... what is it that I've
done (in kenpo terminology if you can) to his depth zone?

OP
J

jeffkyle

I do have to say...this IS candy for the brain. Great Questions Kirk!

OP
L

LoneWolfandCub

Actually if your stepping forward he could back away because your giving him the space if your stepping forward it would probably be more feasable to cancel the hieght if you have control of a pinned or checked hand while stepping in.
Cancelling the depth would require you disabling the rear arm or leg with either the way you pinned the hand or controlled the arm you have with an angle of disturbance. Almost putting yourself into an obscure zone for him. Making him unable to strike with his depth

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are 3 separate concepts that deal with the Dimensional Zone Theory.

Kirk, in your "Boot to the groin" example, you "Disturbed" his height zone, which may or may not have "Cancelled" his height dimension. If it cancelled the height zone, then it could be considered a check. Remember a check is intended to only "momentarily negate the action of another." I would think that in all liklihood you had this momentary check.

Having said that, I really don't think it was a check. Confused yet? I think you used a strike, front snapping ball kick, to the intended target, the groin, with the intent to injure or create a desired reaction for you next retalitory strike (borrowed force, or positional advantage.) You inadvertantly, or purposfully created a check by your strike, but was that your intent? No, you were trying to kick him between the legs. You could have done a front thrusting ball kick to the inside of the groin, checking depth and width, and cancelling height probably. The groin strike itself should check, to some extent height and depth, but not width, (as he falls grabbing your legs.

A lot of Kenpoist think that a check is more of a "control" that lasts more than "momentarily." I think that if it lasts more than a fraction of a second, you are moving into a Contact Manipulation but employing Restraining Pressure, for the intent of striking or manuvearing, not contact immobilization.

Well, you get the idea, Kenpo is a sophisticated world of limitless opportunities for retaliatory strikes.

Oss

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Michael Billings

Kirk, in your "Boot to the groin" example, you "Disturbed" his height zone, which may or may not have "Cancelled" his height dimension. If it cancelled the height zone, then it could be considered a check. Remember a check is intended to only "momentarily negate the action of another." I would think that in all liklihood you had this momentary check.

Having said that, I really don't think it was a check. Confused yet? I think you used a strike, front snapping ball kick, to the intended target, the groin, with the intent to injure or create a desired reaction for you next retalitory strike (borrowed force, or positional advantage.) You inadvertantly, or purposfully created a check by your strike, but was that your intent? No, you were trying to kick him between the legs. You could have done a front thrusting ball kick to the inside of the groin, checking depth and width, and cancelling height probably. The groin strike itself should check, to some extent height and depth, but not width, (as he falls grabbing your legs.

A lot of Kenpoist think that a check is more of a "control" that lasts more than "momentarily." I think that if it lasts more than a fraction of a second, you are moving into a Contact Manipulation but employing Restraining Pressure, for the intent of striking or manuvearing, not contact immobilization.

Well, you get the idea, Kenpo is a sophisticated world of limitless opportunities for retaliatory strikes.

Oss

I like it! Thanks!

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Michael Billings

Oss

Informative, but leading to more questions :D

So in Delayed Sword, the groin kick can temporarily check his
height (I realize depth too, but I just wanna keep it to main ones
to keep this all straight). And in Crossing Talons I've checked his
height, but also used Contact Manipulation??

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geez, there is so much stuff on the 1st move of Crossing Talons.

In the most rudimentary sense, the least you have done is cancelled height and width - I am assuming and leaving out a lot here, but I think you are talking about one of the various arm bars that can be used in Crossing Talon. You are also checking with your leg, and initiated the Contact Manipulation before/as you begin to step. It is activly being applied long before you get to the actual settled stance in what most consider the 1st move.

I initiate a wrist lock on my initial move into pressure points on the posterior side of the arm.

Gotta go eat. Later

OP
K

Kirk

K .. I guess what I should have asked is:

I'm a purple belt. Using up to blue belt material on the 16 tech
system, could someone please tell me the difference in cancelling
height zones are, versus controlling the height, and now (thanks
to Mr Billings :p ) what contact manipulations .. using techniques
as examples.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Hey, this looks like a good thread!
:D

An answer I formulated to Kirk earlier, without benefit of my notes or any books, which I think may be what he is looking for here because of its simplicity is:

A Zone is Cancelled when that Zone can no longer be employed.

For example - if your opponent can not turn left or right then his Width is cancelled.

That is very simple but it is how I understand it.

Similarly of course if your opponent is on his toes as in Lone Kimono (I saw this on a Tatum tape once) and can not rise further on his own or drop his weight (because of your armbar/hyperexension) then his Height is cancelled.

It is my extrapolation that it is "Cancelled" because he can no longer employ it.

I know this may be simple, but tell me if it is also correct. Same goes for Depth I may as well add. In Taming the Mace, if you have sandwiched your opponent against the wall then he can not move backward or forward (because of both your elbow and knee for example) and his Depth Zone is Cancelled here.

I really hope I am not far off on this.
:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Informative, but leading to more questions :D

So in Delayed Sword, the groin kick can temporarily check his
height (I realize depth too, but I just wanna keep it to main ones
to keep this all straight). And in Crossing Talons I've checked his
height, but also used Contact Manipulation??

That kick is actually the depth ck and one of the primary reasons you use it in Delayed Sword, and the residual effect is bringing the head and shoulders forward for the next strike. If the arm is still pinned and you step back it should pull your opponent forward to cancel width and add weight to the forward leg to cancel height. The motion of stepping back also has the advantage of a momentary depth ck until the kick is delivered. Hope that helped clarify that part.

Crossing Talon is a bit more complicated, especially when you do the technique with a pull to 2 oclock. Taking the angle of least resistance and moving from Point of Origin are the concepts this tech. is teaching in the first move. Once your arm makes contact with their arm the contact manipulation begins and your zone cancellations will start to take effect

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

Kirk

I think I may have it now .. in Mace of Agression, once I pin the
arms, the attacker can still move forward, so it's a check. If I
keep my foot on top of his (maintaining my base) he can no longer
move forward or back, so I've cancelled? If I buckle his knee with
mine, then I've used contact manipulation? Is that right?

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

I think I may have it now .. in Mace of Agression, once I pin the
arms, the attacker can still move forward, so it's a check. If I
keep my foot on top of his (maintaining my base) he can no longer
move forward or back, so I've cancelled? If I buckle his knee with
mine, then I've used contact manipulation? Is that right?

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

The rake to the side of the head is the depth ck but keep in mind the pin is to make sure they are not able to move away from it. The idea of grabbing someone is to control them, when you pin their appendage to your own body you have regained control.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

Kirk

The rake to the side of the head is the depth ck but keep in mind the pin is to make sure they are not able to move away from it. The idea of grabbing someone is to control them, when you pin their appendage to your own body you have regained control.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

First, thanks a bunch for your help! Secondly, I understand the
point you made ... was I right about the rest, or way way off?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

First, thanks a bunch for your help! Secondly, I understand the
point you made ... was I right about the rest, or way way off?

The pin on a foot would be a height ck no doubt as it prevents them from using it. The buckling of a leg and the striking a leg are two different things. If you strike a leg that would be considered to be contact penetration whereas buckling a leg would be contact manipulation. The differences can be subtle but most times obvious. I used a punch the other day to stop a hook kick off their forward leg. I waited until he brought the knee up and punched his thigh at the quadracep. It defintely had the desired effect of stopping his kick LOL, but the fact that he was balanced on only one leg and the the power of the punch pushed him off balance, cancelling height, and depth.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by cdhall
That is cool.
Were you wearing hand gear?

I was wearing gear but it still left a bruise on his leg and he limped for a couple of days after that, we had a good laugh about it yesterday tho because he had a couple of other bruises on his chest from the infamous TOE KICK I've got. I've conditioned my toes enough to be able to kick with just the big toe. I actually dropped a guy to his knees after he caught one in the right pectoral. I thought I killed him from the expression he made LOL. He told me it was like getting hit in the chest with a round nose ball peen hammer.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions