Canada makes good swords

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sigh..

So when you say that you originally meant to just say you liked the swords, you're frankly lying. You've been caught out, and are trying to minimise the damage.

I didn't realize that I didn't know as much about swords as some of the people on this board and so yes, I am trying to minimize the damage.

Did what for "about a year"? That's the damn question! Give the website, name the system, something that tells me what you actually did.

This is the website NJ Aikikai and Budokan

"I think it was good" is different to "these items are good" (quality). Note which one you used.

Than I should've said it like that.

Really? Do you know the difference? Do you know why you wouldn't buy one? Is it based on anything you actually know, or is it based on some false assumption like most of the rest of your posts?

Does it matter?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't realize that I didn't know as much about swords as some of the people on this board and so yes, I am trying to minimize the damage.

Okay. Hopefully you've learnt something from this thread, then?

Oh dear… "Tenshin Ryu"? Fred Lovret's system?

Look, I'll be a little blunt here… there are some huge question marks over anything related to Fred's systems… he has some very questionable "ranks" amongst some of his legit training, and created Tenshin Ryu as his expression (inaccurate) of "samurai martial arts"… but, to be honest, the 16 second video on the home page of the guy swinging around his bokuto like it was a baseball bat showed me all I needed to know about the quality of sword at that school…

And you should never, and I will repeat here, never have done any of that with a live blade. If you were given one in the school to use, that's an accident waiting to happen.

Than I should've said it like that.

Okay.

Does it matter?

Yes. If you're going to say that you aren't going to buy something, it'd help to know that you're making that decision based on actual knowledge and insight… after all, you might be ruling out some items that are very well suited to your needs due to an inaccurate bias. I mean, you'd be ruling out most Iaito straight across the board… which are largely mass-produced… and are far better training tools than a "hand forged" sword…

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think swinging a fishing pole is something I'd compare to swinging a sword
Well it seems to be the case here. Lots of talk about using safe swords which is important. Apart from that it's digressed into 'cutting things".

Tameshigiri tests the blade but mostly the skill of the owner. I can teach someone how to hack through an item in 30 minutes but there is no skill involved. but its not tameshigiri. just someone hacking things up with a sharp tool. And to make it even funnier some post it on YouTube.

Doing any art require years of practice. Sword work is harder because over the years it has developed into what are 'wheels of a cart".. You cant do Kendo and be good at Iaido/Iaijutsu. likewise you cant do waza/kata and be able to fight/fence. Likewise I have seen Iaido 7th dan bend a blade doing tameshigiri. Someone who didnt practice one more wheel of the cart, Battojutsu. I realized this many years ago and took it upon myself to learn 'all' the facets and each time it meant going back to being a beginner.

So... many of you I am sure and know that you may be good at your particular art. But If came into your training area and told you I was also an expert at what you did because I had high grades using a sword? You would laugh your head of

Last edited:

Latest Discussions