Can you write Chinese?

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for someone who can write in Chinese. I just need a two word phrase transcribed into Chinese text/characters. If you or someone you know can do this, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you I'm sorry but will ask another member to see if they know how to do it for you

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK, while we're on the subject... I was told that the attached image is my name in Mandarin...

Here's some background information to start off with...

The boy's name Andrew \a-nd-rew, an-drew\ is pronounced AN-droo. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "man, warrior". English form of the Greek name Andreas. Biblical: the first chosen of the 12 apostles. Saint Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and Russia. The "Saint Andrew's Cross", representing Scotland, appears on the flag of the United Kingdom. Andras is a Welsh form; Andy is the pet form.

Any thoughts, Xue?

By the way... I was named after Saint Andrew... the name of my father's first church in Belmont, MA. Most definitions come back as manly or courageous... but, I noticed in this definition that the original Greek meaning is Man Warrior.

TOO COOL! :ultracool

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew the "Man Warrior" %-}

Attachments

• $Andrew in Chinese.png
    $Andrew in Chinese.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 152

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-------
Mod. Note:

Thread moved from the "Locker Room" to General Chinese Martial Arts where it is felt it will get a better response.

- Jonathan Randall
- MT Senior Moderator

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My screen name :)

Kiai (&#27671;&#21512;, &#27671;&#21512;&#12356;) is a Japanese term that is a compound of ki (&#27671;) meaning mind, will, turn-of-mind or spirit and ai (&#21512;, &#21512;&#12356;) being the contraction of the verb awasu (&#21512;&#12431;&#12377;), signifying "to unite"; literally "concentrated spirit". Kiai is a term used in martial arts and in the board game go where it describes fighting spirit. See go terms for its use in the context of the game go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiai

You can also take the Kanji for Aikido, well the first two and reverse them, that gives you Kiai, but it's not Chinese, it's a Japanese word.

OP
B

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I was concerned that since Kiai is a Japanese term, that it might not be directly available in Chinese. I like the idea of using a Chinese character for big and Japanese for Kiai.

If anyone has anything else to share or add, please do. To all who replied, thanks again, I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I was concerned that since Kiai is a Japanese term, that it might not be directly available in Chinese. I like the idea of using a Chinese character for big and Japanese for Kiai.

Kanji (Japanese: &#28450;&#23383; ) are the Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese logographic writing system along with hiragana (&#24179;&#20206;&#21517;), katakana (&#29255;&#20206;&#21517;), and the Arabic numerals. The Japanese term kanji (&#28450;&#23383;) literally means "Han characters".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Essentially the 3 characters given would be the same in Chinese or Japanese as far as I understand it.

Latest Discussions