Can police seize your camera? A Canadian Cop chimes in on the issue.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Officers must be sure of their powers, you can not just go and take a camera from someone because they are going to put the video on youtube or sell it to the media.

I was listening to the so called experts on the radio show and found it interesting how they talked about how officers are uncomfortable with the knowledge that their actions are being video taped or pictures taken of them. I for one have no problem with this as it works both ways. We use video tape evidence all the time and as long as you doing your job professionally out on the streets then officers have nothing to fear. Unfortunately we are human and have lapses in judgement at times and these seem to get caught on video and plastered all over the internet and media. One bad action can paint a bad picture for all of us. So be aware be professional and as a police officer know your powers when it comes to photos and video. Also check with your crime units and crown attorneys as to the laws in seizing these items in your area.

Theres a lot more
, good read.

Comments?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see where LEOs might be un-nerved by being recorded while performing their duties. It stands to reason the only images or video that get uploaded to the Internet will be dramatic and possibly unflattering. I once spotted a police constable friend writing a ticket at his radar stop. I pulled over and stood by while he spoke to the speeding motorist. Everything came up clean, but the driver didn't have his registration on him. My police friend kindly told him to present it to him at court, and he would request that the infraction be quashed, leaving the driver to fight only the speeding ticket.

It was a civil exchange between an officer and a private citizen. Who's gonna put that on Youtube? Nobody.

I think argument for photographing and recording officers is that they are public servants. Much -- not all -- of their work is done out in the public where they don't have the same expectation of privacy as other professionals -- teachers, doctors, nurses.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Folks can record me all day long.......from a reasonable distance. Getting up and interfering with the stop, however, is a criminal act. So long as what the guy with the camera is doing is merely observing, and not inserting himself in to the situation, why should I care?

Latest Discussions