"But in a real fight we'd do it like this ..."

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
While this is one way to "Morph" a technique for an alternate application, this is not the techn ical paramater for Won Hyo #s 2&5 etc. Inward knifehand strike bringing opposite side fist to the shoulder.

It is not the technical parameter in your system, other systems/schools do some things different to the way you do them. Another example is the downward palm block/spearfinger thrust in To San, the ITF seems to do them both simultaneously as a block/strike whereas in RTKD it is a block to knock down the guard and then a strike.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not the technical parameter in your system, other systems/schools do some things different to the way you do them. Another example is the downward palm block/spearfinger thrust in To San, the ITF seems to do them both simultaneously as a block/strike whereas in RTKD it is a block to knock down the guard and then a strike.

Thanks for the flattery, but it is not my system.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it extremely encouraging to see a discussion of this type in this section, particularly the portion that touches on the punch being chambered on the hip. As many have stated, there are many legitimate, viable reasons for this that often center on grasping. This can be for increasing the power of the punch by bringing the opponent into you. But it can also be an off-balancing movement to either preceded a strike or, used in conjunction with the horse stance, to set up for a lock or throw. My involvement in Aikijujutsu was one of the things that brought this out clearly for me.

One of the things I've most often seen was a misunderstanding of the chambered punch and the horse stance. Take away those labels and change the setting from a structured line drill to an actual altercation and one can readily see the realistic applications each presents. From increasing the power of a strike, to off-balancing for a throw or lock to an escape/evasive movement. Each can be practical and usable in real world altercations.

Latest Discussions