Bush Rejects Solo Talks With North Korea

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bush Rejects Solo Talks With North Korea
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...AR2006070700560.html?nav=rss_email/components

By Michael A. Fletcher
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 8, 2006; Page A02

CHICAGO, July 7 -- President Bush on Friday defended his response to the budding crisis spawned by North Korea's missile tests, saying he will not "get caught in the trap of sitting alone with North Korea at the table."

Bush said he will patiently wait for the other countries taking part in the six-party talks to speak with a single voice, urging North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons program and refrain from further long-range missile tests -- a process that he acknowledged will take time.

"The problem with diplomacy, it takes a while to get something done," Bush said. "If you're acting alone, you can move quickly. When you're rallying world opinion and trying to come up with the right language at the United Nations to send a clear signal, it takes a while."

The United States is working with China, Russia, Japan and South Korea to urge North Korea to abandon its nuclear program. The White House has encouraged tough economic sanctions since Tuesday's launch of seven missiles, including one with the capacity to reach Alaska. But China and Russia have resisted sanctions, even as Pyongyang has threatened to move ahead with more tests.

Bush's comments came during an unusual news conference here at the Museum of Science and Industry. With the exception of his foreign trips, Bush almost always holds news conferences at the White House. But Friday's event involved local reporters as well as the national news media who travel with him.

"I'm sure you're wondering why I would have a press conference in Chicago," Bush said. "It's a fabulous city; plus, I like to see what it's like to have a major press conference outside of Washington. It might do me some good. The truth of the matter is, it might do the White House press corps some good as well."

....click link for whole article....

What do you think about the situation with Korea?