Building up our common martial arts communities.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is something that I first posted on the "General Martial Arts Talk" section, but I wanted to specifically target the Kenpo community and see what you all had to offer or say, especially those of you that have lead schools for some time (Mr. Conaster?)

I have been thinking about this for some time and wanted to know what my martial arts brothers and sisters around the world think of it, please feel free to share!

I believe that the martial arts have a lot to offer the communities that we live/teach in and that we needn't focus as much on the competitive nature of the other 'local schools', but rather can elevate the general perception of the martial arts in our communities. If we were to go to the schools in our area and co-host seminars/workshops, free self-defense workshops, open tournaments, demonstrations in the park...etc. TOGETHER... if we were to do this we could present the martial arts in the powerful and positive lite that they deserve. Schools that squable tear down the positive perception a great deal.

What are some things that an instructor, school board, assistant instructors or students could do to 'build up' the martial arts communities???

lets brain storm together...
Your Brother
John

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey bro
No offense meant, but
I'm not familiar with that crest icon you use in your avatar.
where does it come from??

Your Brother
John

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a fine association, but I really like the look of that patch too. Could you e-mail me a larger version??
thanks
Your Brother
John

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about the original post here guys?
What are your thoughts on building and nurturing our Martial Arts communities?
I thought of this originally when considering the amazing impact that Mr. Parker had on the martial arts world in general and all the good that he did.
THEN: as I often do, my mind turned to this question "How can we honor and continue what Mr. Parker did?"

thoughts???
Your Brother
John

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

This is something that I first posted on the "General Martial Arts Talk" section, but I wanted to specifically target the Kenpo community and see what you all had to offer or say, especially those of you that have lead schools for some time (Mr. Conaster?)

I have been thinking about this for some time and wanted to know what my martial arts brothers and sisters around the world think of it, please feel free to share!

I believe that the martial arts have a lot to offer the communities that we live/teach in and that we needn't focus as much on the competitive nature of the other 'local schools', but rather can elevate the general perception of the martial arts in our communities.

If we were to go to the schools in our area and co-host seminars/workshops, free self-defense workshops, open tournaments, demonstrations in the park...etc. TOGETHER... if we were to do this we could present the martial arts in the powerful and positive lite that they deserve. Schools that squable tear down the positive perception a great deal.

What are some things that an instructor, school board, assistant instructors or students could do to 'build up' the martial arts communities???

lets brain storm together...
Your Brother
John

John your heart is in the right place but several factors haunt such and undertaking.

While your concept is a good one, you must remember that studios are in business and as such many do not want to work together for many reasons.

Other businesses that have broken these barriers have developed things such as group buying power for martial arts equipment, advertisment sharing, insurance co-ops etc. But usually the downfall is that someone drops the ball and leaves the others holding the bag or bills!!

I have worked together with some individual's and studios successfully at times and even from different systems. I have done demonstrations on several occasions with different studios and were very successful and fun. I even started the Arizona Referee Association that is still talked about today.... we had several different promoters that got together and developed one set of rules for all to use, developed a yearly calendar and even tested referees and arbitrators.

It all depends upon the individuals involved and what it is that you want to accomplish.

:asian:

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
As always
Thanks for sharing your experience and insights Mr. Conaster!
I appreciate it.

I know it will be hard, but I'll try to make a go of it the best I can anyway.
I've got three things going for me:
1. idealistic
2. stubborn
3. I take action on dreams

I'll take your counsel for later use so that I can say some years down the road:
"He told you John!" :D
Your Brother
John

K

Kenpo Yahoo

In Dallas there is a non profit organization called Fight Back America. It was created in response to the happenings of 9-11 in order to educate the general public as to the benefits of the martial arts. While there were several various karate schools (1 or 2 kenpo), what made me take notice was the fact that Carlos Machado (BJJ), and Guy Mezger (the guy who beat Tito Ortiz) were actively involved. They each took the time to teach a short seminar every few months for free. Both men are highly sought out and pretty expensive as far as instruction is concerned, yet they participated for free. I was able to attend the first couple of seminars, but haven't been back since. Each one is a great martial artist in their own right, and it was quite an experience to see some of the different views on the subject of personal defense. These gentlemen are some of the big names in their respective genres. If they could do it and make it work, even if just for a while, then I don't see why you couldn't do the same.

Good Luck

Hope to see you at the March Vegas Camp.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think one of the things individuals can do, regardless of rank - is volunteer their time to community based charitable organizations ... In their schools or Associations behalf. This is not done for promotion of the business, as the people or group I volunteered for would never be able to afford regular lessons. Examples are:

THEOS - large, no huge, group of elderly individuals who have lost their partner or spouse. Some in walkers and wheelchairs and most infirm due to age, even if otherwise healthy.

CHURCH GROUPS - as a donation to underprivileged kids, Donate time weekly for 6 weeks to teach Kenpo & values to a youth program (under 10 yo.) Most of the families were on some type of welfare or assisted living.

SPECIAL GROUPS - e.g. The the Blind or Deaf. Once again a time donation, with a twist. It required more time out of class than in, for me to plan responses appropriate to the class.

These are some ways to promote a positive spirit of the Art, without running into the conflicts Mr. Conatser is referring to. Getting stuck with the bills BITES, and can ruin friendships or Associations, and always leaves a bad image with the community - for example a fly by night school takes the money from a "Black Belt Program", shuts down shop and leaves town ... the next school to open up really has a tough rep to overcome.

Joon Rhee worked wonders with some of his programs in Washington DC, especially with his kid's programs and getting our Legislators involved in the Martial Arts and aware of them. Chuck Norris has been another high profile individual who has taught values through his art. I am 100% Kenpo at heart, but recognize the impact these individuals have had through their expression of their Arts.

Short answer - KISS - (Keep It Simple Student.) We each do what we can, anytime we can ... and make the effort!!!

WALK THE WALK, DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK!

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Latest Discussions