Boxing Legend Reacts & Analyzes BRUCE LEE's Punch

Wing Woo Gar

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have to understand I am looking at Bruce's Lee's punch from a perspective of someone who has been hit by some of the greatest punchers in history. Believe me I know punching power lol I have also coached a lot of fighters both pros and Amateurs. I have of course seen countless demonstrations of the one-inch punch. I have also seen and felt the punches of people who claim to have amazing power many it turned out were more hype than anything. In the end you gain an insight into punching power. Bruce is showing a very unique ability to use his body and have penetration. I see a lot of people doing these demonstrations in a pushing manner. He is truly penetrating his target and using his body in a very special way. It is actually one of the hardest motions to teach beginners and pros!
I have no doubt you know more than most including me. I would not claim to be anything near to Bruce lee or you for that matter. I am critical of the set up however. You are correct about the penetrating force in my opinion. My Sifu could stack people and then strike the one in front but move the one in back. Kinda like the 5 metal balls suspended in a row where the middle 3 dont move but the ones on the ends swing and trade impact.

Wing Woo Gar

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it's probably because I always seek where an opponent is resisting. I can guide the resistance by putting pressure to feel the push back. It's difficult to explain but it's like this. I can feel objects push back. When I push a cup with my fingers it feels like the cup is pushing back. When I push against a wall it feels like the wall is pushing back. That push back provides feedback and tells me the force that I need to apply and in which direction I need to apply it.

So as long as I have some sort of contact prior to the strike I have no problem. But if there's no contact, then it feels empty to me, which in this case I have to perform the strike as I would in a form when I strike the air. I'm goofy like that. lol Contact is very important to me. The longer the contact the better, that includes punches. Here's how it works for me.. Each letter is a punch that makes contact with me.

I know what you are doing = Grappling where contact is 100%
I w r g = Someone who punches one punch at a time..
I Kn w wha ou a doin = Someone throwing combinations

It's possible to detect things like body shift and weak rooted stances through punches. The more I get the easier I can make out the direction they are heading in and what they are trying to set me up. Keep in mind these are punches that I receive to my guard and not to my face lol.

yep the strike is real but like you said it's really difficult for people to get it. It's one of those things that most people won't get until they can feel that connection once, then it becomes easier for them to use the technique.
That is Newtons third law in action. Equal and opposite forces.

Oily Dragon

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the best illustrations of the concept of the "one inch" power, good old Grandmaster Lam from Canton.

This is not Wing Chun, but it's an open secret that the "one inch" bridge below is also biu ji, a core Wing Chun concept.

What's probably not clear to many is why in the photo below, the snake is at the full extension of its strike, but in demonstrations of inch "ging" power, the distance is a much shorter. About one inch, hence the name.

Basically, the idea is that the more you can put into a shorter distance, the more powerful the impact. Like a spring. Hence the coil of the snake leading to the last inch of nasty pointed teeth.

1640206223407.png

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1640206767594.png

Pai Mei's "what if an enemy is three inches in front of you" scene from Kill Bill 2, same idea. Three inches, saam cheun.

Oily Dragon

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another perspective from the Choy Li Fut side.

One of the Ten Seeds, the Na/La bridge, is a core piece of CLF's snake form.

means to seize with the hand (not exactly "shooting fingers" like the Wiki says) but it's executed as biu ji techniques (definitely means darting snakey fingers) for a reason, that last inch doesn't have to be a strike the way Lee did it, it could be a grab. It could be a strong push, too. It could be chest to chest. It's all still the same one inch bridge.

You'll also see Southern family Crane techniques in this video, because like a lot of animal forms, they tend to mix in animal energies that go together like Snake and Crane. I always find it helpful to compare things like Wing Chun and CLF, you can see where Wing Chun has lost some of its mobility compared to the broader, deeper styles.