Borrowing the opponents force

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. A rather different interpretation of using/not using strength. I humbly disagree... however I am not familiar with this version of wing chun (fut sao) so to be fair perhaps this is how they interpret the art.
Also, his po pai usage IMO is open for exploitation.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. A rather different interpretation of using/not using strength. I humbly disagree... however I am not familiar with this version of wing chun (fut sao) so to be fair perhaps this is how they interpret the art.
Also, his po pai usage IMO is open for exploitation.
I concur. I would add that the attacker's pak is also in need of explanation.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that if someone does their Pak Sau properly , hitting at the wrist and moving in with their whole bodyweight , I don't think you would be able to do a Tan Sau as shown in the video.

By the time you have tried to rotate into Tan your forearm has already been pushed across the centerline and the punch is already on it's way
You might get away with it , if you are a lot bigger and the person is not doing Pak Sau correctly.

The small guy in the video is actually doing the Pak Sau too far down the forearm , he's lost leverage , you are not going to move a big guys arm that way.
He needs to get his elbow behind his Pak Sau as well , so he has a nice line of force from his elbow and out through his palm heel.

I believe it better to let your arm turn into Bong Sau and pivot , your arm is being pushed that way anyway , why not go with it?
A little bit slower for sure , because you have to then lap sau and fak sau the throat , but in my opinion structurally stronger and more safer against maybe a larger opponent with a powerful Pak Sau.

Reverse Tan Sau as we call , it with a pivot is much better suited to a force coming straight in at you rather than a sideways force such as a Pak Sau in my opinion

Latest Discussions