Book Recommendation(s)

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did a search, but I suppose it was too generalized as it came up with about 125 pages of posts (way too many for me to sift through), so I'm posting with the hopes that you very kind TKD folk can help me out.

My partner has recently taken up TKD and while I have directed her to this lovely site, I don't know that she has or will join. So, I'm posting on her behalf (I tend to lurk and post more in the Krav area as that's my art of choice), regarding books on technique.

What technique focused books would you recommend? I think her school teaches a more traditional form of TKD, opposed to a more sport oriented form.

Thank you for the time, I apologize for any faux pas' made in referring to your art.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First of all, welcome, and welcome to your partner also, she should register and post as well!

Of course, it depends on what you wish to know from the book. I have not read many books, but I can recommend ANY book that is written by Gwon, Pu Gil.

I have just tried to search google for a particular book that he wrote which is called Dynamic Art of Breaking, but could not find it. Why do I suggest this book? Not only to learn about breaking, but, you can look at the pictures and see TOP NOTCH TaeKwonDo techniques.

Also, the book Man of Contrasts by Cho, He Ill is a very good one.

Most of this you will learn from your Instructor, though. I like these books because you can learn from them, but also, the pictures show True Master Instructors doing the motions, so you can refer to them for proper execution, anytime you wish, just pick the book up.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Secrets of Korean Karate by S. Henry Cho is a fine primer on "old" style tae kwon do. You could probably glean a lot of useful information from Dynamic Karate also.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Korean Karate, by Duk Sung Son, if you can find it.....(dons fireproof soot and shuffles to appropriate corner)

Secrets of Korean Karate by S. Henry Cho is a fine primer on "old" style tae kwon do. You could probably glean a lot of useful information from Dynamic Karate also.

I've got'em both (three, actually; I have both of the DSS books)... and elder, you can come out from your corner—why apologize for excellent taste? The DSS books, from one of the true masters and pioneers of Kwan era TKD, are genuinely great reference works.

My own addition to this excellent list would be not a book, but the book-length series of Combat TKD newletters by Simon John O'Neil, available here. O'Neil provides explicit, well-reasoned overviews of practical combat applications of TKD forms, along with a wealth of information on the cultural and historical context in which TKD emerged on the foundations of Okinawan and Japanese karate, and the factors which contributed to its own particular historical career. Unlike a lot of people whom you seem to run across in the KMAs, O'Neil doesn't tell you, do it this way because I'm telling you too, and my exalted rank is reason enough for you to believe me; he actually explains in detail why certain interpretations of TKD hyungs are impractical and unrealistic for real combat against a dangerous antagonist, and why other interpretations make much more sense. He has also done a substantial amount of historical background research on the emergence of TKD in the late 1940s, the way TKD was adapted by the Korean military for battlefield use, giving rise to a combat system second to none in terms of lethal application, and much other useful information. I think the wole set of 12 newletters comes to thirty-something bucks, making it one of the great bargains in the MA world.

For that matter, check out the free, downloadable articles at Iain Abernethy's site here. Iain is a karateka, but his analyses of form application for combat carry over brilliantly to TKD, and he's a real prince among MAists. You won't get a single patronizing, overbearing or self-serving syllable out of him, but his views on form analysis, and those of his guest contributors on this and many other topics, are good as gold. Funny how it usually works out that way, eh? :wink1:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If she practices Ch'ang H'on TKD (first pattern is called Chon-Ji) then The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do will be very useful. You can sometimes find it here - not cheap, but well worth the money, as is the DVD collection. You don't need to buy both, unless your partner likes paper and electronic copies for different purposes.

OP
Z

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the recommendations and responses. I appreciate it immensely.

She loves TKD but feels frustrated that she just doesn't 'get' the techs during class. I hope one or more of the recommendations will go a way towards helping her feel more comfortable.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the organisation your TKD class belongs to they may very well have books specifically targeted at their own syllubus. I'm from the UK and belong to the TAGB and they produce very clear guide books to the techniques by belt colour. They use photographs in a step by step presentation. The TAGB are ITF based but does not use sine wave. The first book is called Tae Kwon-Do: White Belt to Yellow Belt: The Official Tae Kwon-Do Association of Great Britian Training Manual (Tae Kwon-do). It retails around £14 but somestimes cheaper on Ebay. May not be useful if you are not TAGB.

Like EXILE suggested definately check out Iain Abernethy's website, the guy is amazing. Exile also recommended a book to me by Stuart Anslow entitled Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sol Real Applications to the ITF Patterns Vol.1. I'm a newbie and haven't learnt these forms as of yet but am finding it a fascinating and inspiring read and its feeding my enthusiasim for the art. Bear in mind that its not a technique book but an application of patterns book though so may not be what you need.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on the organisation your TKD class belongs to they may very well have books specifically targeted at their own syllubus. I'm from the UK and belong to the TAGB and they produce very clear guide books to the techniques by belt colour. They use photographs in a step by step presentation. The TAGB are ITF based but does not use sine wave. The first book is called Tae Kwon-Do: White Belt to Yellow Belt: The Official Tae Kwon-Do Association of Great Britian Training Manual (Tae Kwon-do). It retails around £14 but somestimes cheaper on Ebay. May not be useful if you are not TAGB.

Association-specific text references are always a good choice, when available; it avoids all sorts of problems with other organizations' interpretations.

Like EXILE suggested definately check out Iain Abernethy's website, the guy is amazing. Exile also recommended a book to me by Stuart Anslow entitled Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sol Real Applications to the ITF Patterns Vol.1. I'm a newbie and haven't learnt these forms as of yet but am finding it a fascinating and inspiring read and its feeding my enthusiasim for the art. Bear in mind that its not a technique book but an application of patterns book though so may not be what you need.

For the reason given above (avoid others' interpretations, which are often different) I'm going to disagree with this recommendation, and any other recommendation that involves application texts, especially those not from one's own association. Also, as an instructor, I don't want my students locked in by what they read in a book - I want them to work with the techniques themselves, and discover for themselves what does and doesn't work, because it's going to be different for each person, based on their own physical capabilities. Using a book that says "this is the way" - or even "this is a recommended way" - to apply a technique tends to shut that process down, and it's really hard to get it going again. Then students are working by rote, following what they've read in a book, instead of working through the process themselves and actually understanding what they're doing, which is what I, as their instructor, want them to do. It's harder, but leads to broader understanding and a greater ability to respond to unexpected situations.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was a child, we were told to not read the martial arts magazines, or go to the martial arts movies. I had no idea why, and I did not listen to the Instructor about this. Instead, I continued to read martial arts magazines, and books, of course I would never do any strange technique in at the school, only away from the school.

Regarding the movies, all bets were off. When the movie "Good Guys Wear Black" opened up -- there was everyone -- lined up outside of the movie building waiting to pay their money.

The inclination to read these things and see the movies were too great for me (and for others).

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are some good books by GM Hee-Young Kimm. He has Taekwon-Do, Hapkido, plus Han Mu Do books. They are great referances for any style of TKD.

www.hanmudo.com

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a child, we were told to not read the martial arts magazines, or go to the martial arts movies. I had no idea why, and I did not listen to the Instructor about this. Instead, I continued to read martial arts magazines, and books, of course I would never do any strange technique in at the school, only away from the school.
I can't see forbidding students from reading books. Unless they're constantly practicing the stuff out of the book or incapable of critical thinking, few books manage that much of a hold over the average reader.

I've never been too interested in the TKD technique books floating around myself. Having a book that explains stuff I've already learned in class just makes my eyes glaze over. (Worse if I'm looking at a book that differs slightly in execution of basic techniques.) MA mags can be entertaining, but they usually just spent an eyeblink on a technique of the month, and since I don't actively practice what they're throwing out there, I don't really absorb much from 'em.

With books, though I tend to read those just to see how techniques and strategies work. I end up relating those techniques back to TKD though, so I don't spend a lot of time studying them or fixing my mind on one explanation of a technique over the other since my primary training takes precedence in how I perceive the techniques. I like seeing various potential applications for movements I'm already doing anyway. Echoes and resonances are always neat.

I mainly find books that deal with mindset and strategy etc to be the interesting ones, and those don't tend to be especially style specific.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with this recommendation, and any other recommendation that involves application texts, especially those not from one's own association.
Interesting. So by that reckoning, as many associations do not have their own books, then they can only get one (Gen Choi's).

Interesting you mention "application text" as this is a major component missing from most TKD schools and thus sorely needed.. I would however be interested in what books on applicational text you refer to as, despite what you feel, I would be interested in getting them as I didnt realise tere were that many about!!

Using a book that says "this is the way" - or even "this is a recommended way" - to apply a technique tends to shut that process down, and it's really hard to get it going again.
I gotta disagree with this. Books & other reference material helps give them options and is no different from an instructor saying "this way" and then being taken as gospel, in fact, there may be other ways that are better for the student that the instructor doesnt know about!

As for recommendation, I have an extensive book collection, gathered over the years, some TKD specific, others not. I'm a martial artist first and foremost, who just happens to have TKD as my base art. TKD is not my cage, its my springboard and as such I enjoy reading all sorts of books on all sorts of arts.

Rather than simply list them here, heres alink to some Id recommend: http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/Recommended_Reading.html all good books and well worth getting.

To the OP.. if you after something for the style of TKD you practice, I would ask your instructor for recommendations as he/she will know whats suitable.

Stuart

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My own take on the issue of what Kacey calls application texts is that such texts can be excellent introductions to the general method of pattern analysis for realistic application. I don't know of one single such text (of which TKD has only a couple, so far as I can tell, but of which karate has many) which says, do this and this and this, period. Books such as Stuart's, or Simon O'Neil's, or the bunkai analyses in Iain Abernethy's books (and excellent DVDs) as well as those of Bill Burgar and others, give you applications as the equivalent of worked examples of a general method, or set of principles, for decoding bunkai application. There's a term in Japanese, kaisai no genri, specifically for this decoding process, the general method of interpreting kata for combat tactics, consisting of a set of 'keys', so to speak, that enable you to identify multiple sets of practical instructions for combat from what look like martial folkdances. No one says, you must memorize these applications; rather, they say, here are some (possibly surprising) sequences of controlling and striking moves that correspond to the movements of the kata or hyungs or hsings, but which are in effect disguised by the way these patterns are packaged, and you can rethink the standard pattern interpretations you've learned, for much greater practical effectiveness, by applying the guidelines that these particular reanalyses illustrate. The concrete, 'worked' examples are similar to what you see in a physics textbook, for example, where in each chapter, some general mathematical relationships are sketched that correspond to concepts, laws and principles, and then you are given certain physical situations and asked to find, on the basis of the data you're given, what the value is for certain dynamical variables. You're given three or four such 'worked examples', typically, showing you the kind of mathematical tricks and techniques that may come into play, and then, at the end of each chapter, you're given a number of problems which you have to solve on your own—often a large number of them. If you study the worked examples carefully, you will be far, far better prepared to strike out on your own and deal creatively with the increasing difficulty of the unsolved problems thrown at you at the end of each chapter, than if you were simply given the straight derivation of the mathematical relations among the physical parameters and then asked to solve the same set of chaper-final problems.

For example, the 'windup' interpretation of an arm/fist chamber is firmly drilled into most students of both the KMAs and Karate from the beginning. But once the hikite interpretation is pointed out to you—that that retraction isn't primarily an isolated set-up for the next strike, but actually involves a forcing/controlling manipulation of an attacker's limb, and often involves a wrist grab and twist to hyperextend the attacker's gripping or striking arm—a whole set of possibilities open up which might never have occurred to you. The fact that the motion of a down block, when analyzed in terms of kaisai no genri, can be seen as a sequence of two elbow strikes (one going up, followed by a spearing strike coming down) followed by the blocking motion that's actually a hammerfist strike to an attacker's throat(or temple, or collarbone, or...), can give the student a radically expanded sense of the possiblities latent in ordinary-looking kihon techniques—possibilities explored in the multiple applications derivable from kata/hyung sequences, and a wide-open set of them at that. Look at the title of Rick Clark's landmark book Seventy-five Down Blocks—and they're all there, every one, beautifully illustrated with clear photographs. That's not someone telling you, do it this way, and mayb this way, and that's it; that's someone who's saying, look at the vast realm of technical possibilities that are open to you once you start thinking of kihon techs, and more expansively, kata subsequences, along the lines illustrated. Or again, Simon O'Neil's Combat TKD shows some nice, clear examples of how to derive throws of various kinds from what are standardly presented as 90º, 180º and 270º pivots in TKD hyungs; in conjunction with the other 'unmasked' applications of blocking- and striking-type movements (as per the standard Itosu packaging), with the addition of muchimi-type moves (where the striking hand becomes a gripping, controlling hand as part of the followup tech), it becomes clear how one can parlay such pivoting motions into powerful unbalancing/throwing moves. I don't find such guides to be Simon-says recipe collections (add exactly this much pepper and tarragon and cook for precisely twenty-two minutes); I see them much more as radically mind-opening illustrations of the practical effectiveness stored in MA patterns, waiting for us to discover them... if we have the skill to read them; and that's what this kind of research tries to make available to us, giving us samples of the possibilities, and inviting us to extend them as we start thinking about them from this novel perspective.

I'm very much looking forward to the appearance of Simon O'Neil's forthcoming book on the combat applications of TKD hyungs, with primary emphasis on the Taegeuks (a lot more practical fighting methods there than they're generally given credit for; see his January 2006 Taekwondo Times article for a preview of what he's up to). Together with Stuart's book, it'll provide coverage of the possibilities of a very large domain of TKD patterns. And that will lead to more such work. I have, sitting on my desk, something like four full-length books on the combat applications of the Pinan kata set alone. All different, all very suggestive, raising further questions of how to evaluate competing interpretations, and so on. To my way of thinking, this whole direction in the karate-based arts, and the associated emphasis on non-compliant pressure-testing and realistic scenario drills with a partner—something that people like Abernethy, O'Neil and Burgar all explicitly identify as part of their own methodology in 'vetting' the applications they present—represents the real hope for progress, and the restoration of credibility, in the TMAs.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kim Jeong-Rok's Tae Kwon Do textbook volume 1. This book is excellent for beginners in WTF Tae Kwon Do. It is the single best patterns book I have seen, with detailed foot movement diagrams. Great for the student who is struggling to 'get it'. Sickeningly the patterns have changed slightly since this book was produced, however combined with instruction I still consider this to be an invaluable tool. Good value too here..

For the traditionalist with an already solid background in TKD of any style I whole-heartedly recommend Practical Taekwon Do: Defenses Against Weapons Art of Self-Defense: A Text Book For Advanced Students. Expensive now as hard to find, but available HERE.. Written by one of the fathers of TKD this book contains hand & foot combinations, lots of self defence techniques, armed and unarmed patterns and training tips and exercises. My most prized MA book.

On the other hand if you are an ITF student, I would recommend against the TAGB series. Didnt like them at all. Written by very good instructors mind you.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
real hope for progress, and the restoration of credibility, in the TMAs.

Good post Exile. Unfortunatly (and I mean no offence to anyone) some refuse to see that TKD needs to progress and restore its credibiity. Doing what we've always done only gives us what we've always got.. and Im sure you know what that is in regards to the image of TKD!

That aside, I cannot understand any instructor that doesnt like their students to spread their wings and learn and by not doing so.. the "dont read any other book thing" it is they that limit their students.. and to say it makes them fixate on a certain way is just ludicrus, as that is exactly what happens when instructors enforce such policies. Maybe some just dont like to be seen to not know something (a common ocurance in high ranks) so berate certain things as wrong, incorrect, misinformed etc. Personally, I feel its an instructors duty to try and make/educate/train a student to be better than themselves.. that is our job!

A little known fact about me is during my younger years (80s/early 90s) I was into hip hop (its golden era) and in regards to the books discussion.. one song sprinsg to mind.. "Knowledge Is King" by Kool Moe Dee.. Ill leave you with some wise words from the song:

I feed off knowledge
And can't get enough
Knowledge is infinite
Suckers ain't into it
Ignorance is bliss
And they're kin to it
Party and dance*
And don't ever glance
At a book or look
For their mind to advance

* or do patterns with no emphasis :D

Stuart

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. So by that reckoning, as many associations do not have their own books, then they can only get one (Gen Choi's).

Many students also feel that, by having a book, they don't need an instructor. Books, like other media, are supplementary material, for students who have reached a level where they understand the underlying concepts, and can use them for enhancing their own understanding of technique and application. I do not generally recommend them for students below black belt because they often cause more confusion than they solve - not always, but often. Likewise, books from outside one's association or style often use different terminology; unless and until one has sufficient understanding and experience to accommodate that, then I find that relying on books rather than notes from direct instruction is counter-productive. I also find that the use of books by most junior (which is often in place of experimentation rather that in addition to experimentation) can lead to over-confidence, especially with techniques/applications that are only known from the book. Since the question from the OP was about a person who had recently started TKD, I answered from my perspective as an instructor - I do not encourage color belt students to use such texts.

An example: when I was a color belt myself, another student in the class had Jhoon Rhee's books in the Ch'ang H'on patterns, which he had used during a hiatus from active training - but there were many stylistic differences between the tuls in the texts and the way they were taught in the ITF (which we were in at the time). There were also some applications... one of which he tried on someone, and caused significant injury - how, precisely, I don't recall, as it was about 20 years ago and I was a yellow belt. But I do recall the statement our sahbum made, about being cautious with information from books, and asking him first before trying such things on others, due to the risk of injury. Later experience through the years has reinforced that lesson for me.

That does not make either of us right or wrong; it means that different people have different experiences, which likewise lead to different opinions.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Many students also feel that, by having a book, they don't need an instructor.
This is something I have heard before and something I again, dont agree with. Those that may fall into this type of being are few and far between.

I also find that the use of books by most junior (which is often in place of experimentation rather that in addition to experimentation) can lead to over-confidence
Sorry, but this sort of thing has always "irked" me (not you per se).. why should a student be left to "experiment".. we are here to teach, not give half hearted techniques with no meaning.. what if a student experiments turns up crappy stuff, or injures someone.. at the very least an instructor shoudl give them options, not show them a technqiue and say there you go, go work it out! Unfortunatly, thats what we all had to do.. the book I released chnages that somewhat.. but many resist such change.. why, I dont know as it only benefits everyone in the long run!

An example: when I was a color belt myself, another student in the class had Jhoon Rhee's books in the Ch'ang H'on patterns, which he had used during a hiatus from active training - but there were many stylistic differences between the tuls in the texts and the way they were taught in the ITF (which we were in at the time).
Likewise.. I had Hee Il Cho's books to help me learn the patterns as a Kup grade.. I just wrote in any differences.. nothing major and nothing beyond a beginners scope.. perhaps you shoudl give them a little more credit!

There were also some applications... [[edit]] and caused significant injury -
As there are many in the TKD bibles that could potentially do the same!!

Later experience through the years has reinforced that lesson for me.
Please go further.. what experiences (if you dont mind me asking)

That does not make either of us right or wrong; it means that different people have different experiences, which likewise lead to different opinions.
I agree with the different experiences bit, but yes, it can still make us right or wrong... history has many examples of exactly that!

Stuart

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gen Choi's book if I.T.F., also the Jhoon Rhee text on the hyungs. Can be found on Amazon.com

also, if she is doing the W.T.F., well......Tae Kwon Do: The Ultimate Reference Guide to the World's Most Popular Material Art: Updated Edition. Yeon Hee Park, Jon Gerrard, Yeon Hee Park, Yeon Hwan Park . This is a great book for the colored belt ranks and the school library. The bulk of this text is designed as a reference for the Tae Guek series of forms. This can also be found on Amazon.com

Latest Discussions