board breaking

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
which do you think is the easiest kind of board breaking with your hands or elbows or your feet? just wated to know I have broken boards with my hands but not with my feet

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many boards are you talking about? I have broken boards with just about everything, but some stuff I can do just one board (speed breaks), but others I can do with many (up to three with no spacers, so far with power breaks). It depends on the technique and what you are doing (speed break or power break).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Normally for me, hand breaks are easier, but for my third, I'm gonna have to break 60 with a knife hand strike. I don't think my opinion will be the same after that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Board breaking Yea baby, Gemini you have to break sixty at once or different level like stacks of 5 or 10.
terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Board breaking Yea baby, Gemini you have to break sixty at once or different level like stacks of 5 or 10.
terry
One at a time, so I'm told.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
One at a time, so I'm told.

So is there a time limit Gemini? Like do all 60 boards have to be broken with a knife hand in XX number of minutes?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So is there a time limit Gemini? Like do all 60 boards have to be broken with a knife hand in XX number of minutes?
No. But it's in your interest to get through them as quickly as possible. Past 20 or so, your hand, regardless of how conditioned it is, starts to turn to mush. It's sheer will that will get you through it. If you stop and think, you're finished. It's gruelling.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
No. But it's in your interest to get through them as quickly as possible. Past 20 or so, your hand, regardless of how conditioned it is, starts to turn to mush. It's sheer will that will get you through it. If you stop and think, you're finished. It's gruelling.
The most I have ever broke in a one time sitting was 15 and my hand was hurting like the little devel himself.good luck, If anybody can do it, it will be you and that Iron will of yours.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The most I have ever broke in a one time sitting was 15 and my hand was hurting like the little devel himself.good luck, If anybody can do it, it will be you and that Iron will of yours.
Terry
LOL. Thank you, Terry. That's very kind of you. But yes, I'll be hitting with a bloody stump if that's what it takes. We did 30 for our second, and two of those four, though still training, said they will not be attempting their third. That's why only one in a thousand will become a master. It will be me.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have an excellent outlook Gemini and I commend you for even trying such a feat. I believe if you train and concentrate enough you can do anything, the brain is a very powerful tool.

Just make sure that should your family need ANYTHING with your written signature for say the next two weeks, they get it previous to your 3rd test. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Just make sure that should your family need ANYTHING with your written signature for say the next two weeks, they get it previous to your 3rd test. :)
LOL. Good point! I'll keep that in mind.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Original question - I've probably done more breaks with my hands than feet - broke four with a heel palm strke twice and five once.

Stepping-in side kick will break a board like butter, so will an axe kick or spin kick.

Wow, Gemini. I'm speechless. What are you doing to condition up for it?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, Gemini, you might consider having your lawyer draft a Power of Attorney so that someone can take care of business while you recuperate! :)

As far as the original question goes-I think it is easier to break with feet since our feet are already conditioned somewhat. There is not so much fear for the beginning students when breaking with feet as there is when using one's hands. Like anything else, it is a good idea to start gradually and work up to it-using focus pads to condition the hand, then a kwon go board, then boards. I don't let kids do breaking with any part of their hand except a palm heel and knifehand. But, everyone, as mentioned previously, can break with an ax kick or side kick.

Good luck Gemini!

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you can do 30, its probably doesn't mean much more to your hand after that. You probably have it conditioned to the max and then when your hand goes numb, naturally, just plow on. I think it is the same with round kick when we hit the hard paddle (really hard paddle) and after the 5th or so strike, the instep goes numb. Nerves can only take so much. I conditioned my hand for knife/1 patio concrete block for a year, my non-writing hand and then was told to "practice" for an hour, continually breaking a black re-breakable. Well, after it became numb, it really didn't matter how hard the concrete was and it broke on the 1st try. Good luck to you though-no splinters!!

Oh, I agree with Nick, stomp has got to be the easiest. We have the four year olds do that. It absolutely killed me when I saw a black belt woman win with a stomp on a concrete over and over at tournaments. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Wow, Gemini. I'm speechless. What are you doing to condition up for it?
Drink....:p

To the original post, our beginner break is the hammer fist. About the same in difficulty as a stomp.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We're in taekwondo, we're trained to use our feet, adn you guys are all saying your more confortable with your hands? hehe...i feel more comfortable breaking with my feet. So far i'm not sure how many boards i can break back to back, my highest is only 2. Speed breaks i really like doing speed breaks, have any of you done the speed break where you drop the board and side kick it to break it. i had to do that for a test, easier then what it sounds and it looks really cool lol.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speed breaks are always fun, it is just great timing for the break. Remember hands are a part of TKD just not Olympics Style right now.
Terry