Board breaking for rank test

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a good price. Cheaper than contractor’s pricing for 20 board feet of clear pine 1x12 at Lowes in middle TN.
But what they show on their website is not clear so the scrap would a good bit higher.
Not sure what you mean by scrap since you can order a "1 x 12 " board in 1/2" or 3/4" thickness in widths increasing in 1" increments. Order Form - Breaking Boards

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good quality rebreakables fit holders for 1x2 buy might need a small shim. - not kid stuff Official ITF tournament rebreakable plastic boards
I don't personally care for those boards. They seemed inconsistent from one to another (which, it could be argued, makes them more like wood) and I've seen durability problems. How many breaks have you been able to get on one board?
The best I've found are THESE boards. They're available with breaking levels that match anything from little tiny wafer boards suitable for young children, to a 2.5" pine board. They're all the same dimensions and are color coded to make it easy to tell how difficult each is to break. My green board, which is the same as a standard 1" pine board, has been broken a couple thousand times, and I cannot tell any difference compared side by side to a pine board.
Concrete is still my favorite though. Maybe I'm just childish enough to like seeing chunks go flying.

OK, it's not a maybe. I do.

Ji Yuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yet more reasons to use good re-breakable boards, or concrete for breaking.
Do you happen to know how much force it takes to break one ITF regulation board (the white one)? I am thinking about investing some. Thanks

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know how much force it takes to break one ITF regulation board (the white one)? I am thinking about investing some. Thanks
I do not. I don't think the manufacturer does either, because their ad says it's the same as 2-2.5" of wood. Thats... quite a difference.
If you want some serious (Not for kids - well maybe the white one)
breakables try these Plastic Re-breakable Breaker Board - BLACK - 80 - Break Strength One black one is equal to about 2-3 standard 1 x 12 x 12 boards. White ones equal to about one board. Price but heck, you can re break them indefinitely so you get your money back after about 30 breaks
That's part of what I meant by inconsistent. You're talking aabout a HUGE difference in breaking force from one to another.

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Not overly impressed with my form on this one, but it unexpectedly had to be two boards at once (I had missed the memo on that) and that may have clouded me a little. I actually thought I was lowering my center more than I did.

But I passed!! I officially receive rank first weekend in April.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not. I don't think the manufacturer does either, because their ad says it's the same as 2-2.5" of wood. Thats... quite a difference.

That's part of what I meant by inconsistent. You're talking aabout a HUGE difference in breaking force from one to another.
I think the variation - 2-3 boards is based on the difference in the wood - (Closeness of grain, Moisture content) not in the plastic board. Been using the plastic breakables similar to the new ones for decades. The only variation appears after 1000s of breaks. They will get easier over time, but it ha been like I said - thousands of breaks. The variation in the manufactured product is nominal.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not overly impressed with my form on this one, but it unexpectedly had to be two boards at once (I had missed the memo on that) and that may have clouded me a little. I actually thought I was lowering my center more than I did.

But I passed!! I officially receive rank first weekend in April.
WOW, a massive congratulations to you!!! With all the obstacles you've overcome, this is truly inspiring. Incredibly well deserved! Celebrate! A huge milestone in your own unique journey :)

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WOW, a massive congratulations to you!!! With all the obstacles you've overcome, this is truly inspiring. Incredibly well deserved! Celebrate! A huge milestone in your own unique journey :)
Thank you so much Simon. Four and a half years, one and a half lost to COVID (I stayed away from people because of my diabetes), and an actual bout of Omicron a month ago, but I made it! This is the only big goal I’ve ever set for myself just because I wanted to try it, and when I started it I honestly didn’t think I’d get this far.

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Here’s my jump side, only one board. My husband says my hands are faster than my feet, so I went with the hand strike for my double board.

What’s poetic here is that the holder on the left helped me with my very first board break as a white belt. I had so little balance at the time that he actually stood in front of me, crossed his arms in front for me to hold onto like a bar, and traveled with me through the step side kick to keep me on balance. And then four and a half years later he holds for me for a jump side at my first dan test. Pretty cool.

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Sir!! More than once I’ve heard my GM tell people to “flip the board”, and I remember the basic logic of why, but I always forget the direction he’s looking for lol
So it's just a trick. Just a waste of time and absolutely nothing to do with real combat. Might look nice for the onlookers though

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't personally care for those boards. They seemed inconsistent from one to another (which, it could be argued, makes them more like wood) and I've seen durability problems. How many breaks have you been able to get on one board?
The best I've found are THESE boards. They're available with breaking levels that match anything from little tiny wafer boards suitable for young children, to a 2.5" pine board. They're all the same dimensions and are color coded to make it easy to tell how difficult each is to break. My green board, which is the same as a standard 1" pine board, has been broken a couple thousand times, and I cannot tell any difference compared side by side to a pine board.
Concrete is still my favorite though. Maybe I'm just childish enough to like seeing chunks go flying.

OK, it's not a maybe. I do.

Those are 100% the best ones. They're more expensive than other rebreakables, but they last forever. We have 4 of them in different colors for students to practice with, and after 3 or 4 years they're still holding up. Before we were needing to buy new ones like every 6 months.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are 100% the best ones. They're more expensive than other rebreakables, but they last forever. We have 4 of them in different colors for students to practice with, and after 3 or 4 years they're still holding up. Before we were needing to buy new ones like every 6 months.
Second (or third) this. Don't bother buying anything else. Well worth the money as they do seem to last FOREVER.