Blood Policy when training or at studio

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are your policies, rules, or guidelines when somebody starts bleeding while training or at your studio? I'm especially looking for comment from people with blood born pathogen training. I need to write up an official set of rules for my karate classes at my school, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a "trauma kit" with me at training. Depending on how bad the cut is dictates the treatment. Generally I have them bow out (if they are training with someone) with their partner and have them clean and bandage it (I provide peroxide, iodine, anti-bacterial cream, and bandages). If it is bad enough (or they can't do it themselves) I provide first aid gloved of course (I prefer to use Nitrile gloves as they are latex free (avoiding potential skin reactions, you never know who is allergic). If anyone got blood on them I have them scrub immediately, and the mat/floor is cleaned with a 10% bleach solution (I keep it with my kit in a spray bottle). Once it is bandaged and the mat is clean, they are welcome and encouraged to come back and train (providing it won't cause more damage).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as an add-on, while you are working up a blood policy it would probably be a good idea to work up a cleanliness/hygeine policy (staph prevention). I had a minor staph infection earlier. When I was discussing this with the nurse, she was asking me something to the effect of did I have concerns about cleanliness at my house...as there was an uptick in staph infections that relate to (nonhygenic) living conditions.

I assured the nurse that wasn't a concern (it wasn't from training either, it was from roughhousing outside with a very friendly, but very schitzy, chocolate lab), but thought her comment was very interesting. Make sure you have a clean uniform policy and all that good stuff...and ensure the students understand that you require this for health reasons.

I've never been a teacher, but I know I usually get a lot better follow through from my field guys when I tell them why something is important...and not just "do this because I said so". :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with blood is that the mats have to be cleaned and disinfected regularly even when their is not an incident. Winters cause dry skin, dry skin cuts very easily and unfortunately peoples feet bleed so you really have to be on the ball. I check my mats every day to try and ensure that they are clean.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a "trauma kit" with me at training. Depending on how bad the cut is dictates the treatment. Generally I have them bow out (if they are training with someone) with their partner and have them clean and bandage it (I provide peroxide, iodine, anti-bacterial cream, and bandages). If it is bad enough (or they can't do it themselves) I provide first aid gloved of course (I prefer to use Nitrile gloves as they are latex free (avoiding potential skin reactions, you never know who is allergic). If anyone got blood on them I have them scrub immediately, and the mat/floor is cleaned with a 10% bleach solution (I keep it with my kit in a spray bottle). Once it is bandaged and the mat is clean, they are welcome and encouraged to come back and train (providing it won't cause more damage).

Please get rid of the peroxide. Getting on my professional soap box for a minute, let me assure you that there is very little worse for a wound than peroxide. Yes, it foams up and that's very impressive. But it also damages the living tissues in the wound and slows healing. Plain old soap, lots of water, a little neosporin/bacitracin/polysporin/whatever and a bandaid. No peroxide. Please.

The only good use for peroxide is removing blood stains from your uniform. My scrubs see a lot of peroxide. My wounds do not.

But back to the original question. Details would depend on the exact nature of the wound, but in general: Stop the training. Control the bleeding. Clean the wound. Dress the wound. Clean up any mess.

A 10% bleech solution is excellent for cleaning surfaces. Just keep in mind that it needs to be left on the surface for about 10 minutes to really kill the virii.

Please bear in mind that there is little or no risk involved with having someones blood on you so long as it is on intact skin.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have been cleaning them everyday for the last year. it is better to be safe than sorry. We disinfectant with a bleach blend we get from the local Janitorial supply company. As far as blood goes it is always best to make sure the whole area and anybody close to it get immediate attention from someone that is first aid certified. All my BB must have this certificate every year.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please get rid of the peroxide. Getting on my professional soap box for a minute, let me assure you that there is very little worse for a wound than peroxide. Yes, it foams up and that's very impressive. But it also damages the living tissues in the wound and slows healing. Plain old soap, lots of water, a little neosporin/bacitracin/polysporin/whatever and a bandaid. No peroxide. Please.

The only good use for peroxide is removing blood stains from your uniform. My scrubs see a lot of peroxide. My wounds do not.
So noted :)

A 10% bleech solution is excellent for cleaning surfaces. Just keep in mind that it needs to be left on the surface for about 10 minutes to really kill the virii.
Yup, which is why I drag the mat to the side, or just move people if it is on the floor.

Please bear in mind that there is little or no risk involved with having someones blood on you so long as it is on intact skin.
Sure, but it makes people feel good if if part of your policy is to have them wash the area really well. Fortunately, the worst we've ever had was a bloody nose or toe/fingernail bleeding. But I personally have cut myself training for live blade demos and such so I'm always prepared for something worse.

To the OP one of the best things you could invest in would be a first aid locker/cabinet at your studio, easily accessible to your students. So long as it remains stocked you should be prepared for a lot of factors.

Something else you might want to consider, is having all of your instructors first aid certified, just incase the worst were to happen, and they had to do more then hand out a bandaid ;).

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well aside from wiping everything down with bleach, soap & water. As for rules for when someone is bleeding, since we have a sparing heavy environment it depends on the nature of bleeding, injury and/or illness. I actually have them see a doctor before training with me & get a clean bill of health. I've had people get cut or a bloody nose while sparring and want to keep going...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had people get cut or a bloody nose while sparring and want to keep going...

See, this is something that can be quite vexing. You want to train fighting spirit and dealing with pain, but sometimes it can be dangerous. For example, I broke my partners nose with a cross face while he was in my guard. Within seconds, I had his blood all over me, dripping on my face, but he kept fighting and my teacher let the match continue. Looking back, I would have stopped that fight and cleaned everybody up.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
See, this is something that can be quite vexing. You want to train fighting spirit and dealing with pain, but sometimes it can be dangerous. For example, I broke my partners nose with a cross face while he was in my guard. Within seconds, I had his blood all over me, dripping on my face, but he kept fighting and my teacher let the match continue. Looking back, I would have stopped that fight and cleaned everybody up.

Well I do stop for broken noses; think god I haven't had any...

I've only had to stop two sparring matches; one was because the kid tapped and the other wouldn't drop the RNC & the other because a kid split his head up on the asphalt in the alley during a get home scenario drill.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely stop for a broken nose. I get it, fight through the pain and all, but there are safety concerns to address. It's not like it is a professional fight or a street fight where there is something at stake. If their blood gets in your eyes or mouth you are running a risk of something bad. There is no need for that kind of risk in the training hall.

Latest Discussions