blocking wrap ups

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you wrap up to do a down block where do you start with your hands? Or do you even wrap up? Where do you end? I start at my ear and end at my knee. Does your school have a set starting point and ending point. Just trying to master the basic's. All the best in the arts

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you mean the preliminary / preparatory movement / chamber / whatever you call your starting point - we start low blocks with the hands back to back, blocking hand on top, blocking hand by the opposite ear (so, left hand by right ear, right hand by left ear). The block's trajectory is an arc from the opposite ear to over the thigh on the blocking side, while the non-blocking hand moves to the belt.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends.

If you are doing forms, starting point is up, by your ear. If you are in a sparring situation, starting position should be guard position, fists in front of your face.

If in doubt, always ask your instructor. In most cases he will gladly explain the technique further to you. Because there is actually a system to that madness: You practice a big circular motion across your body to block a straight line attack, like a punch or a front or side kick. It is important IMHO to get the motoric down because if you don't swipe, but stab at the attack you wrench your wrist. And yes, painful experience! ;)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's exactly it.

Depends.

If you are doing forms, starting point is up, by your ear. If you are in a sparring situation, starting position should be guard position, fists in front of your face.

If in doubt, always ask your instructor. In most cases he will gladly explain the technique further to you. Because there is actually a system to that madness: You practice a big circular motion across your body to block a straight line attack, like a punch or a front or side kick. It is important IMHO to get the motoric down because if you don't swipe, but stab at the attack you wrench your wrist. And yes, painful experience! ;)

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would like to thank all who posted back to my question. The question i was running in my thought was there a difference in school to school or sabum nim to student differences in the wrap ups. yes there is a difference as to fighting wrap up and a wrap up for forms, but when you are teaching do you make a difference or do you keep the same starting and end point? just seeking lifes little questions. Ha ha! all the best in the arts

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right now at our dojang they are getting us to twist our wrist at as we finish the block. In other words, our arms move towards the blocking position and our hands are facing the wrong way (palm facing you on a knife hand block). Then, at the last possible moment, you twist your wrist and make the block.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When you wrap up to do a down block where do you start with your hands? Or do you even wrap up? Where do you end? I start at my ear and end at my knee. Does your school have a set starting point and ending point. Just trying to master the basic's. All the best in the arts

I would not recommend anyone drop their hands to their knees in a fight.

Latest Discussions