sungjado

White Belt
Reaction score
To all TKD and TSD folks,
Do you now, or have you ever practiced and taught a kicking technique called
a "running-flying sidekick?"
The action would be running at least 10 feet then jumping and performing a
flying side kick.
Tell me why you practice it and why you teach it.
Please respond as I need to hear from all of you concerning this technique.

George
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We used to do it at the end of some of the classes with lots of kids in them. I think it was done for a couple of reasons...

1) The kids love it.
2) It looks impressive to the parents who come to pick up their kids at the end of the class.

We used to do the kicks against a big kicking bag held up by a couple of black belts but we had to stop that, I broke one of the bags. I broke the same bag twice, the first time it just leaned over a bit (bent central column), the second time the column broke off of the base. I also had a habit of scattering the black belts who were trying to hold it up.

We switched to foam kicking paddles late last year. You get more of an arc when you jump rather than bouncing off the bag. You can also swing the paddles back and forth so that timing becomes an issue with the kick.

We put pads down on the floor, the idea is that you take off before you reach the pad. The pads kept getting moved further from the target. We have also put kicking shields up on their side instead of the pads (it works if you bend them first) so that you need a bit of height at the takeoff point.

We have not done it for a few months, ever since we got a new head instructor.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
10 feet? I never measured it, but it's about right I guess.

It's part of the ITA red belt form.

you start from a back stance, the back led starts stepping, 2 steps and the back leg kick...not a lot too it - when done without target. But also fun to hit a bag with it.

About the flying thing...after 2 steps you can get a good deal of momentum, so you need to be aware of your environment
We did a demo on stage with that... you don't want to take a flying leap off the podium! ;)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/Granfire/airs.jpg

Oh, and it is ALWAYS impressive to add a huge Ki-Hap to it!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do this kick as well. It is really about challanging yourself to hit the hanging bag (or any target) correctly with the kick, or as others said to see how high or how far you can go.
More for fun than anything else.

Do you use it at your school sungjado?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To all TKD and TSD folks,
Do you now, or have you ever practiced and taught a kicking technique called
a "running-flying sidekick?"
The action would be running at least 10 feet then jumping and performing a
flying side kick.
Tell me why you practice it and why you teach it.
Please respond as I need to hear from all of you concerning this technique.

George
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

George,

Oh yea. Why I did it? Cause I was told to. Why I practice it, cause if I break contact with one guy I can literaly kick a second one out of the fight with one kick while opening the distance from the first attacker.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, rumor has it is was invented to unseat mounted soldiers.

Considering I am old and don't fly and bounce good anymore I have my doubts, but having seen one of the young guys kick another fellow in the head there might be some truth to it.

Now, the million dollar question: Should we submit this to Mythbusters?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes - we don't measure the length of the run, but we do flying side kick, flying front kick, flying turning (roundhouse) kick, etc. Most kicks can be done as flying kicks. Performing a kick flying instead of stepping or standing increases the momentum of the kick, and thus increases the power; it also increases the distance that can be covered with a single kick. The best use for self defense would be if you were, for some reason, chasing your opponent.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We practice the flying side kick against the hanging bag though not regularly.

The kids love to kick the bag, the adults, not quite as much. It is a great workout-running and kicking, then running to the back of the line, then running and kicking, then running to the back of the line....you get the idea.

We do it because it is fun. As far as practical use, it is an extremely strong kick, but I would think you would use it to knock someone down who is attacking a loved one.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use that tecnique as one of the requirede breaks for our blackbelt exam. Run, jump over a at least 3 kneeling people, break a couple of boards.

As far as practicality is concerned, I prefer just a skipping or stepping motion rather than a full run.

As far as the horse myth goes, most horses are a good 6ft at the shoulder, meaning to hit a mounted guy at the chest (so as to knock him off the horse) you'd have to jump about 8 ft in the air with a ghood side kick form to have a chance at hitting them.

Better to use a long pointy stick. (i.e. spear or pike)

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use that tecnique as one of the requirede breaks for our blackbelt exam. Run, jump over a at least 3 kneeling people, break a couple of boards.

As far as practicality is concerned, I prefer just a skipping or stepping motion rather than a full run.

As far as the horse myth goes, most horses are a good 6ft at the shoulder, meaning to hit a mounted guy at the chest (so as to knock him off the horse) you'd have to jump about 8 ft in the air with a ghood side kick form to have a chance at hitting them.

Better to use a long pointy stick. (i.e. spear or pike)

Peace,
Erik

LOL, actually, considering the origin of the jump side, the horses are more like 14 hands (14x 4 inches...) and the people are not that tall...it's plausible. even western horses (as in Western Hemisphere, not Cowboys) were not that tall at that time. Think the Mongolians and their horses!

it is a subject of interest to me, really, being interested in Horseback riding myself. Sooo, do we submit this to Myth Busters?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only ever seen it used for kids....

As for knocking someone off of a horse, I find that highly unlikely. We have a relatively short horse (15.1 hands) and I guarantee that I can't kick that high....with battle field armor on, I would probably go under the horse. Now warriors from when this rumor was created about would be in considerably better shape and able to jump much higher....but seriously, why not just hit the guy with an arrow or sword, rather than go flying at a mounted troop with a high chance of missing (since he is also probably moving).

Also, consider how people sit on horses. The rider is straddled, with feet in stirrups. Riders also put pressure into stirrups and on top of that, most mounted troops' feet are secured into the stirrups. If you hit that guy from the side or even front or back, Newton's law....he's a pretty strongly rooted object, you're going to fall down....right under the horse's hooves.

In short, I really dont' see this particular myth as being based in fact. Possibly a few daring soldiers tried it....maybe they even got lucky. But to create it for that purpose. Doubtful.

It is much more likely that it was created just a a demonstration kick, so that people could do it over 5 people's backs and break a board!

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL, actually, considering the origin of the jump side, the horses are more like 14 hands (14x 4 inches...) and the people are not that tall...it's plausible. even western horses (as in Western Hemisphere, not Cowboys) were not that tall at that time. Think the Mongolians and their horses!

it is a subject of interest to me, really, being interested in Horseback riding myself. Sooo, do we submit this to Myth Busters?

I agree, with the horse analogy and for protecting a loved one. At 43 my knees don't like me to practice them. It's not the jumping...its the landing LOL. I also think this is one for myth busters too!

Live Long and Prosper

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have managed to reach shoulder height doing the flying side kick which would be useful if enemy invaders rode seaside donkeys or bicycles.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
the other thing to consider, whilst airbrone...one is pretty much committed to the kick. There's no changing directions...if the target moves, oh well. Doing this against some Mongols would amount to making yourself a human clay pigeon for mounted Mongolian archers (PULL! Twang! Thwack! ugh...)

Again, not the sort of attack I'd want to launch against a heavily armed and armored cavalry unit. ...long pointy sticks...that's the way to go. the swiss used them to great effect against mounted knights in Europe. Hell, the Chinese seemed to delight in putting various interesting blades on the ends of long sticks. I just don't see the use of jumping kicks as the best plan of attack in this situation. :)

Peace,
Erik

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do this kick from both standing still in fighting stance and with a running start. The two are different sides of the same kick, and part of the 5th kup test. Crazy powerful, but difficult not to see coming.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seeing it coming and avoiding it is not necessarily the same thing....been hit many times by something on Sunday I saw coming on Wednesday - so to speak.... ;)

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We do more than just flying side kicks. We also do flying front kick, flying round house, and flying hook kicks. Two steps and then launch into the kick. Not sure if that is 10 feet.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
seeing it coming and avoiding it is not necessarily the same thing....been hit many times by something on Sunday I saw coming on Wednesday - so to speak.... ;)

Well, seeing it coming (or telegraphed) is all you can realistically ask for; the rest is up to you ;) If you can't or don't see it coming you won't have to worry about it until after you come to :lol:

Latest Discussions