Black Belt Questions

S

Sparks

I have a couple of questions relative to TKD for those who attain a black belt and above. Once you receive first dan, how do you progress from there to the higher degree belts? No doubt, like with the lower ranking belts, you have to pass certain tests like mastering a form, etc. What denotes someone who's gone from 6th degree to 7th degree for example? Is there a ranking beyond 10th degree or does it even exist?

Also, I was told by my current school that you can study certain weapons but only after achieving first dan. Is anyone here doing any weapons training in TKD and if so what kind of weapon(s) are being taught? Thanks!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 1st dan, (we are WTF-Taegueks) we had to learn the ITF forms including Kwang-Gye. All the testing including board breaking was harder for second. All I heard for 3rd was two more black belt forms, WTF and ITF each, and more self defense plus everything else that we did for 1st and 2nd plus harder breaking. I heard that we have to be able verbally command a new student through forms after 3rd but nothing other than that, well probably everything that we have already learned plus two more black belt forms. My master said that after 6th dan, it is largely a mental test but those that have gone through it would be better to respond to you on that. 10th, I believe from what I have heard, is largely honorary and I thought not bestowed until after death. Could be wrong though...I get this from my master who is a 5th.

For weapons, it used to be required that students get to black belt first before learning a weapon. Now it is being taught to anyone over eight years old. Nunchuku, bo and sai. TW

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
For weapons, it used to be required that students get to black belt first before learning a weapon. Now it is being taught to anyone over eight years old. Nunchuku, bo and sai. TW

Why are you taught Japanese/Okinawan weaponry?

Thanks,

Lamont

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparks said:
Also, I was told by my current school that you can study certain weapons but only after achieving first dan. Is anyone here doing any weapons training in TKD and if so what kind of weapon(s) are being taught? Thanks!
No weapons.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sparks,

Our dojang practices Chang-Hon (ITF) Taekwon-Do. Therefore we only recognize 9 degrees of black belt.

Regarding testing beyond 1st Dan...Our cirricullum designates three patterns for each degree (as opposed to the two per belt for kup ranks). In addition to learning more patterns and the movements therein; we will also be required to demonstrate a greater knowledge of self-defense application (Ho Sin Sool), begin to demonstrate greater ability and power in our breaking (1st Dan requires power breaks of no less than 3 inches and a multiple target flying break (when age appropriate). Also, multiple opponent sparring is required.

Regarding Weapons Training...Aside from learning defense againt various weapons (Knife, club, bayonet, etc.) we do not teach any weapons as part of TKD (because they are not part of TKD). Many schools do offer side training in weapons however I am unaware of any TKD dojang that would require them!

TAEKWON!
SPooKey

OP
R

rainbows

TigerWoman said:
10th, I believe from what I have heard, is largely honorary and I thought not bestowed until after death.
I believe General Choi said that 10th degree black belt represented a whole life devoted to Taekwon-Do and so he could not accept the rank while still alive.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blindside said:
It is probably because my instructor/master/owner of the school was taught bo and nunchaku but :idunno:. The sai came about from someone who came from Karate, 2nd dan in that, but I can't remember which discipline. TW

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To progress from 1st Dan, the requirements are more or less the same as a color belt for my neck of the woods. Forms, sparring, board breaking, weapons. I think the difference between advancing in the color belt ranks and advancing in the black belt ranks is what the focus is on. At the color belt ranks we want to make sure that students are becoming proficent with all the basic material that color belts learn. The focus is proper technique, reaction force, body posture, etc.

At the black belt level, it seems from what black belt forms I know and the black belt forms I see that at our stage, each black belt level is supposed to heavily focus on one aspect of your technique and "take it to the next level".

For example, our 1st dans starting learning practicing single-arm techniques as proper class room movements. The reliance is speed and snap instead of reaction force. 1st dan form focuses on this change of how technique is used and you are required to stay at this rank for around as long as you were a color belt for, assuming you advanced quickly as a color belt.

Our 2nd dan form continues with the single arm movements, but has a lot more combinations with the hand techniques. It seems the idea is to develop more speed, better rythme, and better timing with the hands. Our kicks see a lot more combinations, but it looks more like they are trying to improve our balance on one leg.

The 3rd dan focuses heavily on kicks. I am still a 2nd dan waiting to test for 3rd, but after watching the form many times, it looks like by now they want to focus on the legs. At 4th dan our form has us executing techniques from the ground and kneeling positions.

Sorry for the long post. It was a long way to say it, but I think at the black belt level, instructors focus on taking what you have learned as a color belt and making it much better. Each rank should witness a rising quality of technique. So at 6th and 7th dan, I would say the difference is probably more leadership and knowledge. As for weapons; Stick, Nunchuck, bo, cane, and tri-sectional.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization practices the Kukkiwon/WTF style of Tae Kwon Do. The ranks of 1st-3rd Dan are given to the practice and perfection of physical technique. What that entails is:

1. Perfecting the forms Koryo through Pyongwon
2. Practicing and perfecting your overall physical technique. For younger Dan students, this means going beyong basics and learning the more advanced techniques of Tae Kwon Do. For older students, it can mean practicing what they are able to do to make it effective.
3. Helping your Instructor by coming to class regularly and helping to teach lower students basic technique
4. Attending the organizational tournament either as a competitor or official.
5. Dan students between 17 and 23 who are in good shape can try out for the tournament team. Being on the team is very good for your credentials
6. Having good free fighting technique and steps. This goes back to perfecting physical technique.

Advancing to 4th Dan and above (Master level):
1. Establishing good credibility in the organization. That means you trust and respect your Instructor. If you don't get along with your Instructor, you cannot make 4th Dan. Who would recommend you?
2. Your life. One of the requirements to Master level is having a good life. That means a succesful career, happily married (if married), good relations with your children. If you can't keep a job, are divorced (or multi-divorced), your kids don't like you, have substance abuse issues, or have a criminal history, you cannot make 4th Dan. The higher you go in rank, and the more national and worldly your reputation becomes, the more important these issues become.
3. To test for 4th Dan, you must go before a board of Masters for a Q + A session. They can ask you questions about anything in your life-Tae Kwon Do, your job, your family, your goals etc. They want to see where your mind and attitude are.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I belong to a WTF school that practices Taeguek forms. For 2nd Dan, we learn Koryo and the Palgwe forms. Much more emphasis is put on sharpness and control in the stances, kicks, punches and cadence with a better understanding of the pattern.

We also begin learning hand techniques which until BB, are limited primarily to blocks and punches. For the 2nd Dan test, your partner will attack with a kick or punch and you'll defend with any one of the techniques you were taught. There is no set order. The defender will defend himself as he/she sees fit. Again, control and execution are key.

Sparring is a requirement for children, but optional for adults. Children will spar one on one and have several matches. Adults may or may not have matches. However, ALL are required to take on multiple attackers. There is no padding, but there is no contact either. The purpose is to show control.

Though breaking for BB involves about a dozen boards with several different types of kicking/punching, testing for 2nd is quit different. You will only use a single technique but break 30 boards with it. Again, control and consistency are necessary. Without it, this is very painful.

Weapons in my school are offered on an individual basis. They are not offered across the board.

After BB, one may be offered the opportunity to begin learning how to instruct. This is offered to those who show interest and ability.

For 3rd Dan, I have no idea what to expect as far as breaking, but for the rest, it'll be a continuation of the same. The focus being on knowledge, precision and consistency.

After that, all I know is the tests will become shorter but much less forgiving.

Regards,

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TKD goes to 9th dan.
Rank passed 1st dan is attained through testing and prrof of maturing of your abilities and mind.
beyond 3rd dan, it's more of what You have done to further the art.
And we start weapons training after green belt, which is roughly 9-12 months in.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No weapons training unless it is defense against. Any weapons training you do after black belt is whatever you learn on your own.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I belong to a WTF school that practices Taeguek forms. For 2nd Dan, we learn Koryo and the Palgwe forms. Much more emphasis is put on sharpness and control in the stances, kicks, punches and cadence with a better understanding of the pattern.
What needs to be realized is that each TKD dojang and its intructors are different, therefore, naturally each school is going to formulate its own curriculum. What Gemini wrote above is somewhat similar to the curriculum at my own dojang.

At the color belt ranks we learn all of the Taeguek poomse, in addition, to earn a first dan black belt we must also learn Koryo poomse. Then, from first dan to second dan black we learn all of the Palgwe poomse in addition to Kumgang. We are also trained on refining the techniques used in poomse and learn how to make them crisper and harder. Thereafter, one continues to learn the rest of the black belt poomse, such as Taebaek, etc., etcl

In terms of weapons training, after earning our first dan black we are instructed on the use of the long staff, and we also learn long staff forms. After achieving second dan, we are trained on using the nunchucks. Weapons training for us is really just a small part of our overall MA training. The main focus is to use our body parts for self-defense, and not weapons.

After earning second dan, for us we are at a point where we start becoming more of an instructer of our art. So, at my dojang, a second dan black is considered an assistant instructor.

The learning and teaching continues indefinitely.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Often for ranks above 3rd dan, promotions depend less and less on your own physical ability, and more and more on the quality of the students you train.

Blindside said:

Because some instructors didn't have very good teachers for themselves, and they start running out of unarmed material to teach the upper ranks. But I gotta say, nunchuku are sure fun to play with.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a black belt, but my boyfriend is. Up to 1st dan, we learn the taegeuk series of forms and a bo form. We also learn a series of defensive stuff and one steps. Of course sparring, and sparring combos. When you hit red belt, you also have to regularly assist in class.

From 1st to 2nd dan, there are three forms to learn (one is a bo form). You also have to wait 2 years from 1st to 2nd dan.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BTW, let me add to the discussion, I'm testing for my 2nd dan on May 7th. I'm pumped and hard-core for this opportunity!!! If the practitioners from my dojang are reading this, always remember, Go hard Doggs!!! Being in this realm, that is training in the MAs in general, and for me training in TKD specifically is infinite.

Earning a first degree black belt only means that you are maybe motivated enough to begin thinking about really getting serious about the art. In my own personal training, I've known practitioners who have achieved 1st dan black then they just shut it down. They never come back to the dojang.

The learning of the MAs never, ever stops... R.

:asian:

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:

Thanks,

Lamont
TKD is from Japanese/Okinawan sources so what's the difference?

Many Koreans use nunchakus they're fun.

Latest Discussions