Black Belt Mag on Google

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Black Belt has been a crap fest for a few years now. I would'nt wipe my but with the sell out rag butt I used to like it. Once upon a time before it was completly sold out to advertising Black Belt was a good source of martial arts information. Now I can go back in time to that era. I can't wait to get some more time and find all of the Ed Parker articles and columns.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Zd...sues_r&cad=2_2&atm_aiy=1960#all_issues_anchor

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is incredible. I wonder how long it will be available....hopefully they don't take it down!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great resource. I'll enjoy going through the old BB magazines. My students will love the searchable books.

Black Belt hasn't been a magazine in a long bloody time. It's a platform to sell products, and they aren't the least bit subtle about it. Oftentimes if you see a big story about something, you'll find there's a large ad buy on the same thing.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's amazing they've done this. There's some great information in those old issues.

David

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
interesting

the may 1964 issue lists promotions:
Carlos Bunda (kajukenbo) to shodan
Al gene Carulia (kajukenbo then shorin ryu) to shodan
Robert Trias (shorin ryu) to Judan

i guess self promotion to 10th happened back then too

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
even more interesting, the May '65 issue has an editorial about people selling rank.

wow, all the things we complain about have been around for awhile...........

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's very cool. can't wait to spend some time going through those.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
even more interesting, the May '65 issue has an editorial about people selling rank.

wow, all the things we complain about have been around for awhile...........

"When you look at the world, the various arts have been tailored to be items for sale. Likewise, a person thinks of himself as something to be sold and even the implements of these Ways are proffered as merchandise. This mentality divides the flower and fruit into two, and makes much less of the fruit than the flower. In this Way of the Martial Arts, especially, form is made into ornament, the flower is forced into bloom and technique is made into display: one talks of this or that dojo, teaching this Way or that Way, in an attempt to gain some benefit. Someone has said that "the immature martial art is a source of great injury," and this is certainly the truth."

Miyamoto Musashi
Book of Five Rings
Book of Earth
roughly 1645

-Rob

Latest Discussions