Black Belt curriculum

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What is included in your curriculum afte Black Belt?

I attended the advanced class tonight were the black belts work on their new material. They did the black belt forms and some of the Palgwes, (ex 1st dan did Koryo and Palgwue 1-3). They worked on some knife defense and a sword form that I'm assuming comes from Hai Dong Gumdo. There was a focus on some of the more advanced kicking techniques.

Sirius

White Belt
Reaction score
My old school had an insane curriculum for black belts and post-black-belts. For black belts one had to do all the taeguks 1-8 and korryo, 25 kicking combos twice on each side plus six more given at the test five times each side, five three minute rounds of sparring and then breaking, all without stopping. It used to be pretty hardcore but since we left people aren't really making it through the requirements. I say, people were tougher in my day.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is included in your curriculum afte Black Belt?

I attended the advanced class tonight were the black belts work on their new material. They did the black belt forms and some of the Palgwes, (ex 1st dan did Koryo and Palgwue 1-3). They worked on some knife defense and a sword form that I'm assuming comes from Hai Dong Gumdo. There was a focus on some of the more advanced kicking techniques.

For my 2nd degree test we had to do:
a 10 minute presentation on any aspect of self-defense
1.5 mile run
WTF forms (Taeguk 1-8, Koryo and Keumgang)
ITF forms (Chon Ji patterns - 16 in total)
One step (Hapkidos) 21 in all
2 Bo forms
1 Nunchucka form
2 sword forms
2 - 2 minute rounds of Olympic sparring
1 - 2 minute round of 2 on 1 sparring
all kicks from white belt through black both legs
50 push ups
50 sit ups
2 breaking techniques
topped off with a 1 1/2 hour log demo for the spouses, parents, relatives

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For us, the new instruction for black belts includes weapons training utilizing all types of MA devices, all of the Pal Gwe forms and the WTF/Kukkiwon BB forms of course, and learning how to become a competent instructor. There's more of a concentration on using combination kicks and hand strikes, and new unarmed self-defense techniques. Also, for those who want it, TKD Olympic rules referee instruction.

Latest Discussions