BJJ purple belt running school?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our case, a different branch of Aikido is not directly related. Ueshiba's Aikido is separately derived from Daito-ryu. So expecting them to be equivalent wouldn't be realistic. Many of their schools only use black and white. Those that have other belts don't even use the same colors as NGA. There's no reason arts should look for equivalency when they don't share the same technique set, ranks, and focus. What would we be equivalent in?? NGA will show similar skill levels at a given rank, even between associations (and most independent schools), in my experience.

This is where your analogy fails. BJJ is still all the same style, with just variations. That would be more like comparing Takemusu Association's Aikido with USAF's Aikido (I think these work - not familiar with them). Two different associations, but similar approach to ranking, so you can expect similar results at a given rank. The same problem exists in Karate, perhaps. Different schools have a different focus, so use the ranks a bit differently. Even if there was a 20-man Kumite requirement for all of them, each would likely choose different rules for that Kumite, which would still lead to different levels of competency in different areas. The only way you could make them more equivalent would be to have competition be a central theme, and use the BJJ model of who you can hold you own with defines your rank. There's merit in that, but it requires competition to be effective between schools.

There is of course competition between schools. formal and informal. And your rank in BJJ is your rank everywhere. If you go from a gracie to a machado school. you dont get a white belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is of course competition between schools. formal and informal.
Yeah, that's what I said.
And your rank in BJJ is your rank everywhere. If you go from a gracie to a machado school. you dont get a white belt.
A similar approach tends to happen within NGA. If I went back to the NGAA, I'd probably have to retest my last rank (since my instructor left the Association). Same if I went to one of the other associations.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Other than my main Bjj instructor, I've learned more from purple belts than from anyone else.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can't add much more than folks like Tony have but I'll try to contribute something. I'm a BJJ blue belt, and that took me about 4 years. Our school is run by a black belt and the assistant instructor is a purple. Sometimes I like when our purple runs class as I think he's in between me and the black belt on the journey, so he may they may be more relatable, and can help you with certain details. It's hard to put in words, but sometimes a black belt is soooooo good and has been at it sooooo long they might start having a harder time remembering what it was like at a lower rank. That probably doesn't make sense though.

But anyway, a BJJ purple belt is someone who is a very legit and capable grappler overall, and but still with enough room to grow that lots of under belts can learn from them. I wouldn't hesitate to join an academy run by a purple.

Vince Millett

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard it said that a good purple belt will often know as much technique-wise as a black belt. So, they can teach, no problem. Where they differ is they don't yet have that uncanny black belt ability to be six moves ahead of you at all times. I am a blue belt. I will occasionally catch a purple belt with something or successfully shut down some evil they are trying to inflict upon me but that does not happen with black belts.

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I put up the OP. I was then looking at different schools. I ended up not joining this one in question because their kid's schedule and mine didn't match up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I put up the OP. I was then looking at different schools. I ended up not joining this one in question because their kid's schedule and mine didn't match up.
What, you expect us to just let the topic go because it's no longer relevant? **** that! :p

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, I should have known better.....

Latest Discussions