Bigger Pores

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a pair of rattan sticks. However, one feels lighter than the other. Upon my observation, I noticed that the lighter one had larger pore holes than the heavier one. So, my question is, which will be better to use for stick-to-stick, the more compact pores or the larger pores? Thanks for your help.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that a good-quality astringent soap followed by a cold water wash closes the pores on my rattan sticks.

Best,

Steve Lamade

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so smaller would be better then. So, I will send the lighter one back and get a heavier one.

Thanks for your help. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so smaller would be better then. So, I will send the lighter one back and get a heavier one.

Thanks for your help. :)

Depending on how you got them, you may want to return both insist that you get something thats closer to a matched pair. :)

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I told the guy that I would return the lighter one and would like one that is a little more heavier. I mean, it should be close to the one that I have.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I told the guy that I would return the lighter one and would like one that is a little more heavier. I mean, it should be close to the one that I have.

You may also end up with a stick thats wider or longer than the one you didn't return.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, according to the auction, it says that they are 26" overall and 1 3/4" round. So, I will see.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, according to the auction, it says that they are 26" overall and 1 3/4" round. So, I will see.

Ah! That I didn't know. Hopefully the new one will be a better match. :ultracool

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Thats pretty skinny (3/4" diameter) for stick-on-stick work, I'm guessing you will chew through them pretty quick if you do much power hitting. I like 1 to 1 1/8 inch if I am doing stick on stick or stick on tire.

Lamont

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the pores on the stick are hard and unsightly, rub them with a fresh ear of corn.

This little trick is known as hard pore cornography

*rimshot*

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats pretty skinny (3/4" diameter) for stick-on-stick work, I'm guessing you will chew through them pretty quick if you do much power hitting. I like 1 to 1 1/8 inch if I am doing stick on stick or stick on tire.

Lamont

I read that as '1 and 3/4 inch' (1.75"), not 3/4 inch.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the pores on the stick are hard and unsightly, rub them with a fresh ear of corn.

This little trick is known as hard pore cornography

*rimshot*

Badda bing! :lol2:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I read that as '1 and 3/4 inch' (1.75"), not 3/4 inch.

Then thats a log, not a stick. :D A diameter of 1.75 inches is well outside most peoples comfort area, my fingers and thumb wouldn't even touch, much less overlap on a stick that size.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then thats a log, not a stick. :D A diameter of 1.75 inches is well outside most peoples comfort area, my fingers and thumb wouldn't even touch, much less overlap on a stick that size.

I read "1 3/4" round" as a circumference, so sqrt of 1.75/3.14= .75 inches.

I do have some 1.5 inch Diameter sticks. I like them for myself. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I do have some 1.5 inch Diameter sticks. I like them for myself. :)

Apparantly it is true, guys with big sticks have large hands.....

PS: Ignore my screwed up math, diameter result from a circumference of 1.75 should be .55 inches.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always thought it was the other way....guys with large hands have.... oh never mind ;)

tuturuhan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a pair of rattan sticks. However, one feels lighter than the other. Upon my observation, I noticed that the lighter one had larger pore holes than the heavier one. So, my question is, which will be better to use for stick-to-stick, the more compact pores or the larger pores? Thanks for your help.

Each weapon has something to teach you. Today, modern practitioners use the lightweight rattan sticks ranging from 28 inces to 42 inches. The length, height and weight of the weapons provide variables that translate into "different methods". Today, depending on how you practice for fun, sport or self defence, the techniques will differ vastly.

Remy Presas, in his book Modern Arnis, 1974 pg 9
"The old practitioners believed that the cane was saced, thus blocking was aimed at the hand and forearm and not at the cane. Most of the students got hurt and they automaticallly lost inteest in learning Arnis. But with the research that I have conduced, I made it possible to have the student learn the art ithoug getting hurt."

In a conversation I had with Juny Canete, which resulted in an article for "Inside Kung Fu" magazine" I told him that I had come to the Phillippines looking for the "olise" close noded rattan heavy sticks.

He told me that very few of those types of sticks were used today. He said "He choose to use the lighter shorter lengthed sticks so as to modernize FMA. He claimed that he even invented the doce pares body armor to furthe protect the practitioner."

As such, you can "bang" the sticks as a training exercise. But, when you are training for focus, accuracy and self defense you must be able to "hit the hand" or any other vulnerable part of the body. With practice, you learn how to control the weapon's impact "on the hand" even with the heavy axe handle that weighs for than 3 pounds.

At any rate...have fun with your sticks. And consider trying various stick weapons.

Best Wishes,
Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each weapon has something to teach you. Today, modern practitioners use the lightweight rattan sticks ranging from 28 inces to 42 inches. The length, height and weight of the weapons provide variables that translate into "different methods". Today, depending on how you practice for fun, sport or self defence, the techniques will differ vastly.

Remy Presas, in his book Modern Arnis, 1974 pg 9
"The old practitioners believed that the cane was saced, thus blocking was aimed at the hand and forearm and not at the cane. Most of the students got hurt and they automaticallly lost inteest in learning Arnis. But with the research that I have conduced, I made it possible to have the student learn the art ithoug getting hurt."

In a conversation I had with Juny Canete, which resulted in an article for "Inside Kung Fu" magazine" I told him that I had come to the Phillippines looking for the "olise" close noded rattan heavy sticks.

He told me that very few of those types of sticks were used today. He said "He choose to use the lighter shorter lengthed sticks so as to modernize FMA. He claimed that he even invented the doce pares body armor to furthe protect the practitioner."

As such, you can "bang" the sticks as a training exercise. But, when you are training for focus, accuracy and self defense you must be able to "hit the hand" or any other vulnerable part of the body. With practice, you learn how to control the weapon's impact "on the hand" even with the heavy axe handle that weighs for than 3 pounds.

At any rate...have fun with your sticks. And consider trying various stick weapons.

Best Wishes,
Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Sir,

This post is slightly off track here. I don't believe that the OP (original poster) was asking what sticks are best used to hit the body, but what sticks are best when striking another stick. Please feel free to start another thread discussing changes made to the art for safety reasons.

Mike