'big' John Mccarthy Explains Mma Rules

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big’ John McCarthy has been the third man in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) octagon since March 11th, 1994 at UFC 2: ‘No Way Out.’ Over the past twelve years he has refereed every UFC event including some of the organization’s biggest bouts. No other Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) referee is more recognizable or more respected.

‘Big’ John recently explained several MMA rules and how they came to be to MMAWeekly Radio including: fence grabbing, the use of elbows, and knees to a downed opponent. McCarthy also addressed why some fights are stopped while others are allowed to continue, and the subject of fining fighters. The interview can be heard in its entirety by clicking on the radio archive.

Full Article: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=1588&zoneid=13

S

Spook

Thanks for the post! its nice to see the rules through the refs eyes.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks o he link

big John is someone who has proved himslef as a great ref many times over. I also woul not want to tick him off and I wonder what if any his MA/MMA experence is

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe Big John has earned everybody respect one way or another.
Terry

mad_boxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
His MA experience is in Jiu jitsu i think it is ultimate knockouts 2 where it shows a fight where he accidently hits a fighter with his bicep and Mike Goldberg is like I think if he wanted to hurt him he would of used a submission coz he had a purple belt in jiu jitsu

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think big John does a great job. I also think I would rather tangle with some of the fighters than him.