better combo with boxing?

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
what do you mean? doesn't everyone get knocked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks. I'll follow that advice. what is the equivalent of black belt in boxing

There isn't one. You go in a ring and punch him and that is how you determine his skill level.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My preference is Judo, but it's not the same art as it was 50 years ago. It's much more focused now on Olympic style competition or on prep for MMA. But it's generally fairly accessible and inexpensive.

Even so, Judo will turn you into a piece of rawhide, as will any similar wrestling art. If you can box well and wrestle well, you're golden. I've seldom met tougher folks than those in my Judo club.

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I boxed long ago when I was in the army. I still train it some 30 years later. Even at my adavanced age, boxing is useful to set up Judo/BJJ. My knees aren't what they once were and I don't have the flexibility in my legs I had when I was a kid, so I don't think it's a very good idea to train like Muay Thai (especially to be on the receiving end during training). I'll stick with a blend of boxing and grappling, as long as I can crawl I can grapple Lol.

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
like with boxing. is krav a good idea? SAMBO?
I train Sambo as my main art I also supplement it with no gi submission grappling. My sambo gym has stroking before sambo class. No gi after sambo class. Sambo is a legit grappling/ all around self defense system which is extremely adaptable to a lot of martial arts. Sambo blends well with just about anything. Boxing plus Sambo is a lethal combo.

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Boxing + Judo together cover a lot of territory. In fact, three boxing punches and maybe four or five judo moves would cover most self defence situations if practised seriously.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boxing + Judo together cover a lot of territory. In fact, three boxing punches and maybe four or five judo moves would cover most self defence situations if practised seriously.
Are you leaving out the jab, cross, hook or uppercut in your 3 punches?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boxing punches + 4 basic leg skill should be a good combination.

1. Front cut (1st side - attack outside of your opponent's right leg):

2. Scoop kick (2nd side - attack inside of your opponent's right leg):

3. Inner hook (3rd side - attack inside of your opponent's left leg):

4. Outer hook (4th side - attack outside of your opponent's left leg):

[/QUOTE]

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you leaving out the jab, cross, hook or uppercut in your 3 punches?

Uppercut. It's a great boxing move against opponents who cover up the other stuff, but is perhaps unnecessary in a self defense situation.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Uppercut. It's a great boxing move against opponents who cover up the other stuff, but is perhaps unnecessary in a self defense situation.
I feel like it would be useful for someone getting up into your face, where you dont have space to throw a long range punch, and are in a situation where you dont want to throw them

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel like it would be useful for someone getting up into your face, where you dont have space to throw a long range punch, and are in a situation where you dont want to throw them
The uppercut is probably the least useful punch, from an opportunity to throw it standpoint. But it’s quite possibly the most devastating punch when it lands.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you start the fight with your hands low. They will probably never see the punch.

And you can create space using a shoulder bump and get that uppercut off pretty easily.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love an uppercut. It is my baby, my pride and joy, my mama, my *****.

If we fight you have to get in reach of me at some point. Or we just stand there and do the Monty Python thing - “Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time”

And you know who the easiest people in the world to hit with an uppercut are?

People who have no respect for uppercuts.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The uppercut is probably the least useful punch, from an opportunity to throw it standpoint. But it’s quite possibly the most devastating punch when it lands.
I think dropbear hit the nail on the head on when it’s good to use. If your hands are down when you realize you’re being attacked, it’s the best strike to throw. Plus, no ones looking for an uppercut

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you start the fight with your hands low. They will probably never see the punch.

And you can create space using a shoulder bump and get that uppercut off pretty easily.
I think dropbear hit the nail on the head on when it’s good to use. If your hands are down when you realize you’re being attacked, it’s the best strike to throw. Plus, no ones looking for an uppercut
You’ve both motivated me to start throwing more uppercuts at my BOB XL. And to play around with throwing a shoulder before the uppercut.

I throw them at my BOB, but it’s honestly an afterthought. Not anymore. I mainly throw a straight right to the liver or spleen followed by a right uppercut when I’m working them.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing commentators often say "Styles make fights" - they are referring to the boxers involved in the event, but it raises a good point.

There are many different styles within the western art of boxing. Each fighter uses the core principles in different ways. Some have a longer reach which benefits jabbing and moving. Others prefer to get on the inside and mix it up. Yet, all of them put on gloves and call themselves boxers. They just focus on the techniques and principles which best suit them.

All martial arts were founded in the same manner. Once you understand the principles, techniques and body mechanics it helps your progress. Learn a foundation art like boxing, or aikido, Karate etc. and then you can begin to fill in the gaps of the system. Think of your original artform as the basic platform and then start adding new tools, features and applications along as time goes by..

At the end of the day we are all heading to the same destination. The only differences are the paths we take along the way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I look at boxing as an art that teaches certain ways to throw certain punches along with some good aspects of some footwork.

I think that regardless of one's Martial Art, some of what boxing offers might blend in well with what a practitioner of Martial fighting does.

But I guess we could say that about most things.

Latest Discussions