best styles for self defense

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It isn't the style, it is the teacher/school. All of them can teach you what you need for self-defense. Check the schools out and go with the one that seems to fit you best.

I disagree with the statement that all styles teach realistic self-defense. Far, far too many schools of traditional martial arts teach methods of self d that will simply put, get you hurt on the street. There is no reason to meet incoming force of an attack with equal forced blocks, especially if those blocks are taught in a way that utilizes inefficient use of body mechanics.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any style of Karate can be good for self-defense. However, the style itself isn't going to be the sole determinant, as to whether training at a particular dojo is going to meet your needs.

I know of many Shotokan Karate schools whose teachings would certainly put their students in better positions in a street fight, than say, the full contact schools would....

You just have to look carefully, and take some time to talk with the teachers, students, etc. In the end, it's up to you to make an informed decision based on what you see.

I agree with most posters here, who mostly agree with each other, I think (more the school/instructor than style). I'll just add that all I know of Shotokan is that my daughter studied it in college, got to brown belt, and could do some damage if she wanted/had to. From watching her and her classmates train and compete, it could definitely be street-worthy.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that the problem arises when a traditional stylist fails to adapt to the situation and also if that person has a closed mind about learning from other styles. You have to be able to adapt to the situations reguardless of what style you practice.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that the problem arises when a traditional stylist fails to adapt to the situation and also if that person has a closed mind about learning from other styles. You have to be able to adapt to the situations reguardless of what style you practice.
Without a doubt.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement that all styles teach realistic self-defense. Far, far too many schools of traditional martial arts teach methods of self d that will simply put, get you hurt on the street. There is no reason to meet incoming force of an attack with equal forced blocks, especially if those blocks are taught in a way that utilizes inefficient use of body mechanics.

I have to agree that the instructor is very very importent in that they have to know and be able to teach the system correctly. My point earlier is that all of the older styles of karate, especialy the okinawan styles were developed and tought for life and death self defence. like any thing else it can be tought incorectly and made in efficent or even inefective by some one.
However, if you are being tought by a sensei who has good credentials and training in the old unmodified kata of one of the older traditional karate styles it will work when you need it. BUT, it is not a 3 week course or even 3 months and you are some how able to efficently use the system any more then any other good system of unarmed combat, or even system of armed combat!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh by the way older styles when tought correctly do not meet force directly with force, well at least the okinawan styles do not. there are soft blocks and ti sabaki to get you out of the way. you must always use your head and not just your body in any self defence situation.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
While a handgun is a good SD tool, its limited in what it can do. I think an important question you should be asking is, "Is every SD situation I find myself in, going to warrant the use of a gun?"

Mike

absolutly true! also remember there are places you may not carry a fire arm of any kind ( licenced to carry concealed or not) into. also please remember that a gun is not and never has been a magic wand! it is a tool to drill holes in things at a distance. so if its not a situation that warrants the drilling of a very posibly fatal hole in some one then useing one would very posibly leave you worse off then not having one.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good post carol, yes, check the lineage, do some research on line and ask questions that the instructor should know if legitimate. Many times you can call their instructor directly to get a background on them. But, in some cases, the break between the instructor and their instructor was so bad that any information from the former instructor may not be valid. Professional jealously can play a part. When my teacher left his teacher in Japan, his teacher was so enraged that he wiped records of his certification out of the organization. I have seen the certificates with the Japanese Master's name signed and stamp on it. Usually when you see them demonstrate their skills,you will get a feel if they are for real. You will also get positive feedback from their students.
I now only teach to small groups, that way I know I have dedicated students, and I have the time to focus on each student personally. I feel that I owe it to them to give the best instruction, because they have given me their trust and dedication. This is an important relationship between instructor and student. A good sensei will give time to each student, not just see them as another face and paycheck in their school. It also an awsome responsibilty for the student. The instructor is trusting that the student will not misuse the knowledge that he is imparting.

I agree. check the linage and also go observe the class and ask questions of the sensei and students. ask what emphisis he or she usualy has in their instruction. some are more prone to teach towards turnement and sport, and others towards the self defence applications and survival for when you dont manage to avoid the confrantation. I would also look at the attitude of the students. are they agressive and hostile or seem to have a lot of ego? if so i would tend to think about if i really want to learn there. if they seem friendly and open and happy and the emphisis is one self defence and that is what you are looking for, then see about trying it for a month or so. Iwould be carefull about contracts. They can be badly missused.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming you are training in karate I'd highly reccommend some boxing and wrestling as a supplement. Some combination of striking and grappling. Kickboxing and Judo. Kempo and BJJ. Whatever works for you. I've used karate to successfully defend myself but still feel it leaves me handicapped in some areas. It's good to know what these areas are and how you can pick up the slack. Just tussling with your buds in the back yard is good training. Check out some Combat Sambo and La Savatte too. Wing Chun, Krav Maga, Silat and qinna are also worth looking into.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you can throw a reverse punch, a knife-hand strike, a front kick, and a roundhouse kick with destructive power, unblockable speed, and pinpoint accuracy, you will be very capable to defend yourself. The aforementioned techniques are all available in any ryu of karatedo and in korean striking arts such as Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, or Soo Bahk Do - which means any of them will do. The tough part is developing the power, speed, and accuracy thing. This is done using training methods which are trainer (meaning, instructor) dependent. Therefore, it is more important to choose the right trainer no matter the art - any art will do.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can throw a reverse punch, a knife-hand strike, a front kick, and a roundhouse kick with destructive power, unblockable speed, and pinpoint accuracy, you will be very capable to defend yourself. The aforementioned techniques are all available in any ryu of karatedo and in korean striking arts such as Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, or Soo Bahk Do - which means any of them will do. The tough part is developing the power, speed, and accuracy thing. This is done using training methods which are trainer (meaning, instructor) dependent. Therefore, it is more important to choose the right trainer no matter the art - any art will do.
I agree 100%. Note I have defended myself against all types of attacks and came out ok because of the way I train and the instruction I had recieved. But grappling on the ground was not included.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assuming you are training in karate I'd highly reccommend some boxing and wrestling as a supplement. Some combination of striking and grappling. Kickboxing and Judo. Kempo and BJJ. Whatever works for you. I've used karate to successfully defend myself but still feel it leaves me handicapped in some areas. It's good to know what these areas are and how you can pick up the slack. Just tussling with your buds in the back yard is good training. Check out some Combat Sambo and La Savatte too. Wing Chun, Krav Maga, Silat and qinna are also worth looking into.

traditional okinawan styles if tought in the original way have grapling in them. they also have meany techniques that some one who didnt know better would provably assume came from judo or jujitsu or even posibly aikido. but again it does depend a great deal on the instructor.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would pick kyokushin or some other form of knockdown karate (ashihara, enshin, shidokan, seidokaikan etc), not because they have a better syllabus-to be honest, all karate are if not the same so atleast similar, but because they make you train full contact. Training full contact means that you get used to hitting without holding back, getting hit by someone not holding back, and getting used to the fear and pain factor involved in continuous fighting full power without stopping after each accurate hit.

Sadly there are gaps in the training that needs to be filled (grappling and so on), but training one of the more MMA influenced knockdown styles like daido juku and shidokan would fix that.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
traditional okinawan styles if tought in the original way have grapling in them. they also have meany techniques that some one who didnt know better would provably assume came from judo or jujitsu or even posibly aikido. but again it does depend a great deal on the instructor.
I second that.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Note I have defended myself against all types of attacks and came out ok because of the way I train and the instruction I had recieved. But grappling on the ground was not included.

actualy there are ground techniqus in the old school kata if you look deep enough. as far as grapling in traditional okinawan kata at least, there is a great deal of it. locks and presure points that couse great pain, brakes and throws too.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very true that grappling is there but its only been the last few years that I have been able to learn the deeper part of the bunkai.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true that grappling is there but its only been the last few years that I have been able to learn the deeper part of the bunkai.

it all takes time. My sensei has a lot of years training and so I benifit from that. me I am just a a newbe.

Latest Discussions