best styles for self defense

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it all takes time. My sensei has a lot of years training and so I benifit from that. me I am just a a newbe.
I will begin my 24th year of training in November. I continue to learn more and more each time I train and more when I teach. I had an instructor who was really clueless about kata and bunkai and it was a real hinderence. I even brought the Shorin Ryu kata into his program and we converted them over to the shotokan forms to legitimize his claim of teaching a shotokan style system. Its one thing I really regret. Now back to Shorin Ryu system with a link to Okinawa I have really started learning much more again. The scary thing about my time in the arts is I feel like I just started yesterday since there is so much to learn.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will begin my 24th year of training in November. I continue to learn more and more each time I train and more when I teach. I had an instructor who was really clueless about kata and bunkai and it was a real hinderence. I even brought the Shorin Ryu kata into his program and we converted them over to the shotokan forms to legitimize his claim of teaching a shotokan style system. Its one thing I really regret. Now back to Shorin Ryu system with a link to Okinawa I have really started learning much more again. The scary thing about my time in the arts is I feel like I just started yesterday since there is so much to learn.

my senesi has over 35 years of training and says he is still a begianer... me i have a couple of years training, so i am not even a begainer yet! so much to learn, and if i live to be 100 i will not have learned nearly enough of it.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my senesi has over 35 years of training and says he is still a begianer... me i have a couple of years training, so i am not even a begainer yet! so much to learn, and if i live to be 100 i will not have learned nearly enough of it.
I hear ya there is so much to learn it never ceases to amaze me those that say they are bored.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Problem with a gun is if you use it at the wrong time, you might wind up in prison!
Case in point. A guy in Los Angeles was just coming back from practice at the shooting range, when he and a kid got into a road rage argument. The kid was also probably trying to show off to his girl.
But the guy pulled out his gun and shot the kid dead from his vehicle. If you listened to this guy who is now in prison, it sounded like he really believed he was defending himself.
People might disagree with me on this, but I say find a good book written by an expert on quick moves to defend yourself. That include improvising with common objects that might be used as weapons if needed. But only in emergencies!
Then if you want to become the artist, pursue the style you feel is right for you.
Which is what I'm trying to do as well.
Buena Suerte! To us both.
Dave

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone serious about self-defense in today's world needs to purchase a handgun and learn how to use it. Karate, traditional karate anyway, should not be pursued merely as self-defense. Self-defense is a by-product of learning a much deeper, multi-faceted art. If self-defence and fighting are your primary interest, then no karate style is going to satisfy you.

But everyone looking for a Martial arts school in this day and age is for the most part looking for self defense. I don’t think they are considering all the other benefits that we as quote, unquote old timers are aware of. Your point is well taken, but I don’t feel that I personally was looking for a multi faceted art when I first started looking for a Karate school. I was intrigued by the fighting aspect of it all. If someone told me that I was going to learn how to fight so I would not have to fight, I probably would have gotten a gun.
Of course with the knowledge I have now it would be a whole different story.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Problem with a gun is if you use it at the wrong time, you might wind up in prison!
Case in point. A guy in Los Angeles was just coming back from practice at the shooting range, when he and a kid got into a road rage argument. The kid was also probably trying to show off to his girl.
But the guy pulled out his gun and shot the kid dead from his vehicle. If you listened to this guy who is now in prison, it sounded like he really believed he was defending himself.
People might disagree with me on this, but I say find a good book written by an expert on quick moves to defend yourself. That include improvising with common objects that might be used as weapons if needed. But only in emergencies!
Then if you want to become the artist, pursue the style you feel is right for you.
Which is what I'm trying to do as well.
Buena Suerte! To us both.

Dave

well 2 things, one is that you will more then likely be more harshly treated for use of a knife or other bladed weapon/object then for a gun. and 2 if you want to learn a weapon, or self defence, do your self a facver and
find a good instructor.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
But everyone looking for a Martial arts school in this day and age is for the most part looking for self defense. I don’t think they are considering all the other benefits that we as quote, unquote old timers are aware of. Your point is well taken, but I don’t feel that I personally was looking for a multi faceted art when I first started looking for a Karate school. I was intrigued by the fighting aspect of it all. If someone told me that I was going to learn how to fight so I would not have to fight, I probably would have gotten a gun.
Of course with the knowledge I have now it would be a whole different story.

yes I have to agree. most people who go looking for training in a martial art are at least at first looking for self defence skills for themselves.

Latest Discussions