Best Sticks

C

Cuentada

i get mine from bloodsport.com at an avg. of $20/pair.
Nick's a cool guy to deal with.

L

lost_tortoise

I purchase raw rattan from a supplier and make my own sticks. It is the least expensive way that I have found to keep a good supply (I rip through sticks fast!) The company that I go through even cuts the rattan poles to size for me...for a nominal fee...and I still stay at about half the cost per foot of any sticks on the market! I have a gas range at home so I "stripe" and bake my sticks right in my own kitchen!

P

progressivetactics

I was given a pair of sticks by an old friend of mine named Brian (buzz) smith. He was a maharlaka(sp) kuntao person. Excellent guy. Anyways, these are about 3/4 the thickness of most of the sticks I have seen, and they will not break. At least, the last 17 years of stricking them, they haven't broke. The will spark if you strike them together, and smell like gunpowder. They are very light and fast. I don't know exactly what the material is, or where to find it, or if it is common. He told me he got them in the Philipines while he was there. I love these sticks, however I only have 1 left, as one got lost after an altercation in a parking lot.

Any ideas as to what this is, or where I can get more? They have the same burn markings as most others, and a light color to the stick itself.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by lost_tortoise
I purchase raw rattan from a supplier and make my own sticks. It is the least expensive way that I have found to keep a good supply (I rip through sticks fast!) The company that I go through even cuts the rattan poles to size for me...for a nominal fee...and I still stay at about half the cost per foot of any sticks on the market! I have a gas range at home so I "stripe" and bake my sticks right in my own kitchen!

Ditto! Frank's Cane & Rush online. I burn some of mine too, but not in the kitchen, my wife would kill me, i use the barbeque grill outside:D

What I like about them...cheap, cheap, cheap. variety of weights and thicknesses in a batch, we use the lighter ones for sparring, heavier ones for drills, etc. Allows me to practice burning without fear of messing up a $20 pair of sticks.

They come kinda rough so even if you don't burn them you will have to bevel the edges and sand down the nodes, or spend time that evening picking out splinters.

Andy

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
I was given a pair of sticks by an old friend of mine named Brian (buzz) smith. He was a maharlaka(sp) kuntao person. Excellent guy. Anyways, these are about 3/4 the thickness of most of the sticks I have seen, and they will not break. At least, the last 17 years of stricking them, they haven't broke. The will spark if you strike them together, and smell like gunpowder. They are very light and fast. I don't know exactly what the material is, or where to find it, or if it is common. He told me he got them in the Philipines while he was there. I love these sticks, however I only have 1 left, as one got lost after an altercation in a parking lot.

Any ideas as to what this is, or where I can get more? They have the same burn markings as most others, and a light color to the stick itself.

Sounds like good ol' rattan with the skins left on to me.

Cthulhu

P

progressivetactics

is that what it is?
Cool

How can i get more like it?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Hello People I just want to hear wear you get your sticks from? How much they cost and why you like them

I get my sticks from Tim Hartman, "cannons" I like to call them. I get them wholesale (you ask him). I like the big sticks because you need to hit someone less often to obtain the desired effect. I don't like "whip sticks." They are the thin, fast ones. My teacher, Remy Presas, would actually remove any stick from my hand if he thought it was not substantial enough. I picked up the habit from him.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Renegade is that your site? That you put on? Hay how long to send them to detriot?

Also the people who said they bake and bbq there sticks is it real easy like cooking a hotdog or realy hard and how much do you money do you save by doing that?

C

chinkoobake

Hello People I just want to hear wear you get your sticks from? How much they cost and why you like them

Vandecamps
In your grocer's freezer

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like good ol' rattan with the skins left on to me.

But would raw rattan spark and smell like gun powder? I worked with progressivetactics today and after a few stirkes they smelled like gun powder.

Renegade do you have any like that for sale on your site? If so how much?

:shotgun:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has something to do with the skins being left on the sticks. I don't know the physical/chemical reaction that causes it.

Cthulhu

P

progressivetactics

I have had these sticks for about 15 years, and they are in the same shape they have been since I rec'd them. They were used when I got them, and still holding up strong.

Now, I do use them more this and last year, then the prior 13ish.....but still.....a good pair of sticks to last 2 years, I think is pretty cool, and no tape on them!

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Renegade is that your site? That you put on? Hay how long to send them to detriot?

Also the people who said they bake and bbq there sticks is it real easy like cooking a hotdog or realy hard and how much do you money do you save by doing that?

Here's Guro Jeff Finder's instructions...plus some other info.

http://members.rogers.com/badger/rattan.htm

Latest Discussions