dumog

P

progressivetactics

Is dumog a system within itself or is it more of a concept or portion of other systems? I know what dumog is, I just don't see it as a stand alone system. Is it?

is there schools in just dumog?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
Is dumog a system within itself or is it more of a concept or portion of other systems? I know what dumog is, I just don't see it as a stand alone system. Is it?

There may be a school that calls there system "Dumog" out there somewhere, but I haven't seen one.

It is my understanding that dumog is more of a broad discription of "ground fighting," just as "Espada Y Daga" describes sword and dagger, and "Mano" describes hand.

OP
P

progressivetactics

wow.....that was alot of info.

Thanks.

OP
P

progressivetactics

well guru carlton teaches techniques of Dumog, I don't think he teaches a dumog program. He does like I do, teach some applicatoins, and techniques of it.

OP
K

krys

s dumog a system within itself or is it more of a concept or portion of other systems? I know what dumog is, I just don't see it as a stand alone system. Is it?

Dumog is a system within itself.
It is quite rare in the Philippines now and not very popular ....
As far I know it can be found in Panay and Negros. The Igorots of northern Luzon also practice it......
There is at least one Dumog schools in Manila, but fma artists often look down on this art.....

Christian.
Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

haumana2000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know there have been a few dumogueros represented in the URCC competition in the PI. Does anyone know how they fared? Do they train a lot of stand up? is it all ground etc..?

OP
K

krys

I know there have been a few dumogueros represented in the URCC competition in the PI. Does anyone know how they fared? Do they train a lot of stand up? is it all ground etc..?

They did quite well in the second URCC.
I was able to spare with an Arnis-Sikaran-Dumog master and champion who taught me Arnis. Got the impression they train mainly in stand up, although I've done bjj for quite a few years he took me very easily to the ground..... there I was able to survive.....
My impression is that for them groundfighting is not as important as in bjjs, they mainly want to put your back to the ground in order to win.....
but this was a friendly match, and their stand up techniques are formidables...

OP
K

krys

Actually there are different systems of Dumog (sometimes called Buno).
There is competition Dumog and real fighting Dumog.
Some styles have groundfighting, other don't.
because it is a bad idea to go to the ground if your opponent has a knive......

haumana2000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info Krys. I think it would be great to see some footage of the fights. Do they have any training methods that seem to be unique to dumog? It's awesome to see our native arts represented in the mma world. The only thing thatn sucks, is that though there ARE big pinoys, the norm is that most are smaller and so uncondusive to competition at a high level where weight classes usually run in the heavier area.

OP
K

krys

The fma-dumog champion I was in contact with told me the important point in dumog is the strength developped through the chin. Actually he was able to put pressure on my neck with his chin while holding me.....

They have very special exercises, puling weight with their neck, training in the mud, wrestling with both feet on two different boats, wrestling small carabaos down, tree climbing.... I will try to see my friend in August and tell you more haumana....

is that though there ARE big pinoys

haha! There are very big pinoys indeed..... see the Igorots of northern Luzon, some mangyans in Mindoro are also huge.... and both "tribes" practice Dumog.
If you go to the province you will see very big pinoys....
Usually the best Dumog is practiced in isolated communities of the province by farmers, these peoples have few other leasures available and spend a lot of time practicing it, they seldom go to the big cities.... it is also often kept secret.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm very interested in Dumog. The limited techniques I know of have served me well in stand up grappling.. it's a big surprise to those I have used it on, controlling them like a puppy ;) .. are there any Dumog training videos out there?

OP
E

Emptyglass

Tuhon Leo Gaje will teach Dumog/Pangamut (Dumpag) here in Maryland, USA. If you'd like more information, please contact below:

PEKITI-TIRSIA KALI SYSTEM* at APOLO'S

Headed by Master Apolo & Guro Bobby Ladra
Under supervision of Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, Jr.

Class Schedule:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday* ......... 7:30pm - 9:00pm

Saturday afternoon......12 Noon - 1:30pm

USA Headquarters
c/o Apolo's Karate
8056 Ritchie Highway
Pasadena, Maryland 21122

(410) 768-5299 or (410) 370-4455

Private lessons are available upon request. For information on regular classes and private lessons please send all inquiries to: [email protected]

Also we will be having a special event here in April:

Apolo's Karate / World Kali Council USA Inc

Proudly Presents

LEGENDS of KALI

Gathering of all Kali practitioners who are teaching the Kali art in its purest form whose teaching experiences is based on true Filipino tradition without mixture of any other martial arts incorporated into the true Kali techniques.*

In the evening of April 1st, 2005, Friday from 5:00pm-10pm is an intensive seminar on the original indigenous Filipino Ground Fighting "DUMOGPANGAMUT or DUMPAG" . A division of the Pekiti-Tirsia Kali System to conducted by GRAND TUHON LEO T. GAJE, JR.* Dumpag has been research by GT Gaje in the Philippines for the past 13 years.*
Emphasis will be on the Dumpag philosophy and culture of the Filipino Dumpag.

April 2nd, 2005,Saturday: 10-hour intensive seminar to be conducted by joint GRAND TUHON LEO T. GAJE, JR. and GURO DAN INOSANTO.* Subject Kali as a Combative Art applied for combative sports and a combative arts for competitive sports under the sports standard version.

Guro Dan will interpret the multi-channels of fighting arts, from Kali to non-Kali arts.

GT Gaje, Jr. will interpret the Kali as inserts to multi-channels of fighting arts - The art of blendability in combat and in sports.

This will be held at Apolo's Karate (8,000 sq.ft facilities), 8056 Ritchie Highway, Pasadena, Maryland 21122.

For more detailed Seminar flyer, please e-mail us at [email protected], or [email protected] or voice mail: (410) 768-5299 , (410)370-4455.

I hope to see some of you there.

Rich Curren

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Master Barkers correct. I teach Dumog as part of the Arnis Program, though Guru Woodruff has a complete Dumog program (From what i've experienced)

I would enjoy training & learning a complete program.

Peace :whip:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the above link:

The Head Butts, the banana tree is used as the object, but the head butting is started by running towards the direction of the banana tree, the head hits the banana tree with vigorous force that sometimes the banana tree falls down and that ends the training for the day.

Yep. That'd just about do it for me.

Regards,

Steve