Best Ninjutsu Book?

canit

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually the author worked pretty hard to paint an over all picture of the life of Takamatsu Sensei. While being far from perfect and not an authorized biography from Hatsumi Sensei I still think it has value!

Most of the sources are from Hatsumi Sensei in the end and it would appear that he did not make anything up but instead showed how life was and events that happened based on the writings from other books. An interesting read if nothing else.
icon6.gif

The author took already existing material available on Takamatsu-sensei and played a very liberal game of connect the dots through history. I have no doubt the he spent considerable time compiling snippets of information. I wish he had spent even more time confirming facts and presenting them in a more professional manner.

Value is a subjective quality. Had I known what I would be getting I would have bought the book on eBay for $5.00 instead of the authors website for considerably more. I found the finished product very disappointing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I can understand that! While I feel he painted an over all picture I can understand you and I wanting more information. That would be my only gripe. Still it was nice to have all that info in one book rather than a dozen or so.
icon6.gif

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Simon Yeo's Secret Art of the Ninja, is an excellent one for first timers (like me!) It is so good in fact I may have to buy another copy, my Sensei borrowed it....:)

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On James Morganelli's blog site, he mentions a "purple book" that's considered Soke's "Bujinkan Bible". Which one is that? I can't think of the title.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On James Morganelli's blog site, he mentions a "purple book" that's considered Soke's "Bujinkan Bible". Which one is that? I can't think of the title.

I would consider 'Understand, Good, Play' by Ben Cole as a collection of quotes by Hatsumi Sensei, to beat any other book on the subject hands down, in fact I doubt if it will ever be bettered.

I cannot believe it is out of print although I am grateful that it is because I managed to sell my copy for a vastly inflated price during difficult personal financial circumstances.

Personally I cannot stand any of the recent glossy, blurry, vague, self-indulgent, error-riddled works on the subject because I did not sign up for obscure philosophy and believe it has no connection with martial effectiveness or the fight for survival of historical persons in ancient Japan.

And a surprising number of very high ranked teachers agree with me, but not often publicly.

I have massive respect for the author and translator(s), but I am waiting for 'Budo Taijutsu for Dummies' to be released, thank you very much.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes that is the" purple book" it is old and was made to be an instructors reference guide. there is alot in this book but if you don't already know it it is almost useless to you. the pictures are in black and white as the english version is a photocopy from the original. the descriptions in english are bare minimum. at one time it was given to students who passed the godan test. it is so you remember what you have learned basically.

imho ninpo secrets is a better book to buy. its the same price and alot better quality.
understnd good play is a good book but its is written in traditional hatsumi fashion, coded sort of. once again you will need a good understanding of the system and also hatsumi for this book. and it is rather pricey. the hiden ninja submission book from hatsumi was ok, the tenchijin refers to it alot also, but this may be because of the translator not the actual writings in the book. this is also a photocopied version of the original in japanese, but i thought it was a better book. keep in mind these are my opinions and we should all have our own, right or wrong it doesn't matter it is what you think.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
understnd good play is a good book but its is written in traditional hatsumi fashion, coded sort of.

But far far far less coded and obscure than the recent set of glossy hardbacks, surely you must agree?

keep in mind these are my opinions and we should all have our own, right or wrong it doesn't matter it is what you think.

Does anyone have an opinion they are prepared to share regarding the Sword, Staff, Ninja Secret and Unarmed blah blah? Honestly, Simon Yeo's book is far more use to most people!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But far far far less coded and obscure than the recent set of glossy hardbacks, surely you must agree?

Does anyone have an opinion they are prepared to share regarding the Sword, Staff, Ninja Secret and Unarmed blah blah? Honestly, Simon Yeo's book is far more use to most people!

I like Simon's book as well. While it is not my favorite it definitely is a book worth having in your collection.
icon14.gif

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that if Soke felt that a step-by-step picture book was of benefit to people he would publish one.

Many people still use the purple book as a basis for a curiculum, but again, I'm sure Soke would reprint it if he felt that we should be doing that. It's not like he doesn't have a demonstrated ability to get books printed.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes elf i definately agree. and for the beginner simons book is your best bet, it is imo easiest to understand if you have no experience.

Albertus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right now I am reading a book called Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - Ninja Tradition. Exploring the essence of the Martial Arts and it is very interesting. It is written by Alex Esteve in 2002 and has beautiful pictures of our Grandmaster in it, with a total of 285 pages. Also there are brief contributions from several Shihan. The original was in Spanish but the English translation is oke. For me it is the best book at this moment!

Latest Discussions