Best CMA for me?

M

marshallbd

I am wondering what the Best Chinese style would be for ME. I have problems in the knee ankle area so kicking is kinda hard on me and extremely low squatting stances are not impossible but are very difficult. Wing Chun, Mantis, or what? Help me out guys....Also, does anyone know of any style that is taught in the Elkins WV area?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

heh knee ankles and low stances are a problem? I dunno if you should do any CMA :p

JK.

Any of them will be fine. You just have to explain this to your instructor so he can make sure you're not pushing yourself too hard. I was the same exact way when I started Wah Lum Praying Mantis, which is a lot of emphasis on kicking and low stances, and I stuck to it and they're getting stronger every day. It's easy for me to get around now :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, its about conditioning yourself and growing stronger. A good Sifu will work wiht your injury to strengthen you, not break you down. Wing Chun probly has few kicks, mantis has more hnds than feet, but the kicks we do are usually low powerful kicks. Most CMA are going to do stance work, so you will have to strengthen yourself for that, but its all about learning, you'll get there.

7sm

OP
M

markulous

I popped out my kneecap about 5 1/2 months ago and I have a little trouble kicking with that leg and bending it too far back. Albeit we have a mixed MA system not a traditional CMA. But Wing Chun is definately good to do. Not a lot of low Gung Fu stances and kicks. As long as you can gyrate motion with your hips and pivot on your feet I would recommend that if you wanted to go with a CMA.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
I am wondering what the Best Chinese style would be for ME. I have problems in the knee ankle area so kicking is kinda hard on me and extremely low squatting stances are not impossible but are very difficult. Wing Chun, Mantis, or what? Help me out guys....Also, does anyone know of any style that is taught in the Elkins WV area?
As far as advice on a specific style it would be hard to say without knowing your goals and what your looking for in martial arts or specifically CMA.

7sm

OP
M

marshallbd

7starmantis said:
As far as advice on a specific style it would be hard to say without knowing your goals and what your looking for in martial arts or specifically CMA.

7sm
Well to tell you the truth, I am looking for a little of everything. Something I can apply to real self defense situations is a must, mental (Philisophical), Physical (Fitness), and just pure fun.....all within the physical parameters I outlined in the previous post about my limitations :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

marshallbd said:
Well to tell you the truth, I am looking for a little of everything. Something I can apply to real self defense situations is a must, mental (Philisophical), Physical (Fitness), and just pure fun.....all within the physical parameters I outlined in the previous post about my limitations :asian:
I just wanted to say that even though I do not know anyone here personally, I appreciate the way you guys are ready to offer advice and tips so freely. You truly are my "Brothers" :asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its true, this is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I've ever visited. Thats why I'm still here.

As to your question. In my own opinion for pure application and self defense I would recomend mantis, wing chun, most of the CMA that focus on applications. There are good and bad teachers of CMA just like anything, but I've yet to find a system I feel is more straightforward and practical for self defense than 7*. Alot of these principles I like are also found in other systems and we share alot with wing chun. Some of the animal systems can get caught up in forms and techniques and loose some application so be carfull about that.

What I like about CMA and, in my limited experience, mantis is that they are very much thinking systems. Its about using your head, some refer to CMA as the "intelligent arts" which I think is a bit confining to other systems, but it is appropriate. We focus on letting the opponent use his strength and we just go with it allowing him to hurt himself.

I'm not doing well with descriptions today, so I'll end, but I would recomend wing chun, mantis, tai chi, or even hung gar.

7sm

OP
M

markulous

If you are open to do other things than CMA go with American Boxing. Although it doesn't have much philosophy behind the art(it doesn't matter just pick up some books on buddhism, taoism, or confucism. YOU put philosophy into the art) boxing is killer. That's what my Sifu and I started in and we still incorporate that into our training. The conditioning is awesome and it's very linear(so no big movements!).

OP
M

marshallbd

7starmantis said:
Its true, this is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I've ever visited. Thats why I'm still here.

As to your question. In my own opinion for pure application and self defense I would recomend mantis, wing chun, most of the CMA that focus on applications. There are good and bad teachers of CMA just like anything, but I've yet to find a system I feel is more straightforward and practical for self defense than 7*. Alot of these principles I like are also found in other systems and we share alot with wing chun. Some of the animal systems can get caught up in forms and techniques and loose some application so be carfull about that.

What I like about CMA and, in my limited experience, mantis is that they are very much thinking systems. Its about using your head, some refer to CMA as the "intelligent arts" which I think is a bit confining to other systems, but it is appropriate. We focus on letting the opponent use his strength and we just go with it allowing him to hurt himself.

I'm not doing well with descriptions today, so I'll end, but I would recomend wing chun, mantis, tai chi, or even hung gar.

7sm
Excellent, thanks.... Do you know of any instructors in the Elkins West Virginia area? Or a place to look on the net for instructors in this area? :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

markulous said:
If you are open to do other things than CMA go with American Boxing. Although it doesn't have much philosophy behind the art(it doesn't matter just pick up some books on buddhism, taoism, or confucism. YOU put philosophy into the art) boxing is killer. That's what my Sifu and I started in and we still incorporate that into our training. The conditioning is awesome and it's very linear(so no big movements!).
I helped coach kids in Boxing for the Police Athletic League years ago and am familiar with it. I am looking for something a little more in depth... :asian: