Belts

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This came out of the "Ranking" post.

When I started TKD I was told to never wash my belts. Also I was told to carry my belt folded in my hand to my side when not wearing it. Or I could put it in my gym bag. I was never to let it hang around my neck or drag on the floor. The idea was a white belt was to gradualy turn black over the years. Then eventaully the belt starts to fade to white again. I wear my original White belt I got back in the '80s when I work out at the house. I keep it hanging on my heavy bag.
Like Mr Miagi in Karate Kid, I believe a belt is to hold up your pants. I don't put much weight into Belts but on the other hand I want a Black belt someday.

Just my 2 ¥

Anyone else do this? Or am I just weird?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one comes up a lot - yes, you can wash your belt, unless you instructor tells you strictly not to. Do you know how long it takes for a belt to get so dirty that a white belt would turn black? I've seen a few turn dingy white, almost light grey - but that takes way longer than the few months most people wear white belts.

Not letting it drag the floor is something else - that is a respect issue, not for the belt itself, as a belt is a piece of dyed cotton - but as a sign of respect for the knowledge you are learning. Still, lightning will not smite you if you let it fall on the ground... it'll just get dirty faster.

You can see a similar discussion here, which will show you're not the only one with this question - and the other side of the issue here, which shows some people go to the opposite end of the spectrum.

dragonswordkata

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have two differnt codes of edicate at my dojo. I teach Kempo and tell my students not to wash thier belts, nor drag them around. I also instruct them to kneel every time they take off, or put on thier belts. If they are just tightening, or adjusting, then they don't need to kneel. At my masters school I was taught these rules and I like the respect it shows.

My son teaches Judo and they don't have to kneel when working with thier belts. But they do have to turn away when adjusting them.

I think it just matters that proper humility is show to those whose sholders we stand on to reach higher in what ever art we follow.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's what I tell my students (who are all children) about what to do with their belts (& I explain my reasons for this to them).

"It's tradition that we don't wash our belts. The tradition I've always thought was neat says that all your knowledge & pain goes into your belt. So, if you wash it, the knowledge gets washed away, too. Is that true? Of course not. If you need to wash your belt because of dirty spots....wash the dirty spots."

"It also tradition that your belt never touch the floor. The idea isn't because of a superstion (like a black cat crossing your path). It's an issue of respect. It's just disrespectful to drag it on the ground as if it were nothing important to you. (They see the kids in the karate program throw their belts off of themselves & it really bothers them)."

"I also don't want you to wear your belt & dobok top outside of the building for two reasons. 1) It don't need to get unneccessarily dirty to or from class. 2) You don't want any unnecessary attention about your training."

I try to explain trations as both important & practical. Demystifying them & giving them practical reasons is more helpful. IMO. When I was a Cub Scout, I rember thinking, "If I let the US flag touch the ground, I'll either be sent to h*ll or be kicked out of the country," or something like that.

It's hard enough for kids to understand TKD. It's in a language that they might never heard otherwise, & it's the only place where they are told to call their teacher "sir" or ma'am". I don't want to scare them by giving them a tration that I don't explain.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A belt is just another another part of your dobok that you wear when you train. You should wash it when necessary to be clean and sanitary. Your rank is not what you wear on your waist, but it's in your heart, your experience and your accomplishments.

:mst:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BTW, your training partners will know who and what you are, and even outsiders will recognize who you are depending on how you carry yourself as a person and martial artist.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We were told that the belts are not to be washed, until you got the next one and then only if you want a clean one for your belt display rack.

Latest Discussions