Behold, the six types of Atheists!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15/the-six-types-of-atheists/comment-page-1/#comments

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic
This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism.
They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.
(Ahem.)
They're also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.
2) Activist
These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise.
They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.
3) Seeker-agnostic
This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience.
Silver and Coleman describe this group as people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.”
That doesn't mean this group is confused, the researchers say. They just embrace uncertainty.
4) Anti-theist
This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,” Silver and Coleman wrote.
“Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.”
Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that "obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”
5) Non-theist
The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion.
In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.
“A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.”
They continue: “They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”
6) Ritual atheist
They don't believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions.
“They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”

Which type of Atheist are you?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't necessarily fit any of these templates. Instead, depending on my mood or the situation, I can shift into multiple categories or even opposing categories. I think I'm always an Intellectual Atheist though. However, I snap between 2/4 and 6 depending on my social group. I think that 6 is probably a social adaptation that keeps me from losing friends.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think I'd be best described as a ritual atheist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have the same problems with atheists as I have with theists. If you believe in a God, fine. If you don't believe in a God, fine. End of story! Arguing that there is no God seems even more stupid to me than arguing there is. Slot me into number five. :asian:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have the same problems with atheists as I have with theists. If you believe in a God, fine. If you don't believe in a God, fine. End of story! Arguing that there is no God seems even more stupid to me than arguing there is. Slot me into number five. :asian:

It only seems stupid until someone starts asking why someone doesn't believe in gods and why they don't care.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It only seems stupid until someone starts asking why someone doesn't believe in gods and why they don't care.
Some people believe in fairies. That's fine by me. I don't believe in fairies. I'm not going to waste my time arguing over that. I don't believe in magic. Anyone who can demonstrate magic can claim a million dollar reward from James Randi so I don't have to argue that one either. I don't believe in homeopathy and I will argue against that because it can be scientifically proven to be BS. So where does that leave religion? I'll leave that for others to argue about. :asian:

Latest Discussions