Beginner Sparring Part 2

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
When does your school allow students to spar and how often does your school spar?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All students are allowed to spar, but it is not mandatory. We spar often but not every class or even every other class. Random intervals.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
All students are allowed to spar, but it is not mandatory. We spar often but not every class or even every other class. Random intervals.
Sparring is optional? So it's not part of your organization's testings?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As soon as the instructors feel an individual is ready to begin sparring that individual is invited. Sparring is optional but most all do.
We begin with a higher level who is calm and work at the level the beginner works and is a process for all to learn how to spar.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We spar/roll every class and it's from day one. The beginner classes tend to be all 1 or 2 minute positional sparring rounds to try to reinforce the day's lessons. The advanced classes has a bit of positional sparring mixed with a bunch of free sparring afterwards.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring is optional? So it's not part of your organization's testings?

It can be. Depends on what my instructor wants to do. Most of us spar. A couple choose not to. Several are not able to, due to physical disabilities. Gotta understand, our 'organization' is our Sensei, who is 9th dan and VP of our worldwide organization. What he says goes. No court approved it.

I always hate answering these questions. It alway seems to me that there's an agenda here. Why on earth do you want to know?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
It can be. Depends on what my instructor wants to do. Most of us spar. A couple choose not to. Several are not able to, due to physical disabilities. Gotta understand, our 'organization' is our Sensei, who is 9th dan and VP of our worldwide organization. What he says goes. No court approved it.

I always hate answering these questions. It alway seems to me that there's an agenda here. Why on earth do you want to know?

I'm not here to say "y'all don't spar, y'all aren't legitimate blah, blah, blah....." I'm curious to see how school's handle those who don't want to spar. This could be to physical limitations, or it's just something they don't want to do. That is what I was curious about for your circumstances specifically.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not here to say "y'all don't spar, y'all aren't legitimate blah, blah, blah....." I'm curious to see how school's handle those who don't want to spar. This could be to physical limitations, or it's just something they don't want to do. That is what I was curious about for your circumstances specifically.

Our requirements for promotion don't include sparring. Mostly time in rank, and specific kata. This is especially true of the kids we teach. Adults typically spar, but no one has to do it in order to get promoted. I haven't seen anyone in awhile who flat-out refused to spar, but there have been a few. It's no biggie. Our Sensei also tells us that grading is individual to some extent. Some people are better at kata. Some are better at sparring. Some are better instructors. Some few are all-around terrific. There are many roads. And none of it is written down; it is what it is.

I have been asked to kumite prior to being promoted. Other times, I have seen Sensei throw a belt at someone and tell them to put it on because he's sick of looking at the old one on them. It is what it is.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As soon as the instructors feel an individual is ready to begin sparring that individual is invited. Sparring is optional but most all do.
We begin with a higher level who is calm and work at the level the beginner works and is a process for all to learn how to spar.

Exactly. Teaching / learning. It's as much a test of the experienced student as it is the newer student. How well do you stand there and only do defensive techniques, encourage the new student to fight correctly and well, introduce corrections without hurting someone physically or being cruel? It's not always easy to stand there and let the newbie make mistakes on you; experience has taught me that white belts can hurt you bad.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When does your school allow students to spar and how often does your school spar?
I started from day one. It was he last bit of every training. Of course, the beginner was guided by one of the advanced students. Two beginners together is pointless.

But I have found that is usual starting the sparring after a few months of training, or after a determined rank, and done in a dedicated class, weekly. Also common no sparring at all (surprisingly).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. Teaching / learning. It's as much a test of the experienced student as it is the newer student. How well do you stand there and only do defensive techniques, encourage the new student to fight correctly and well, introduce corrections without hurting someone physically or being cruel? It's not always easy to stand there and let the newbie make mistakes on you; experience has taught me that white belts can hurt you bad.
"...white belts can hurt you bad." LOL so true!!!

This does several things.
The lower level doesn't get overwhelmed, frustrated, or hurt. They learn to actually hit someone, which can be difficult for many people. They learn to hit a moving target without getting all beat up in the process. They learn to move in and out (ranging and angling) as well as distancing for their different weapons.
The higher level gets to really work on good defenses cause newbies are just plain crazy with their arkward movements, timing, and angles. Which is what may well happen in a street altercation.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Usually we wait about a month until the new students spar. It's random when we do, but at least once a week. You can always ask the instructor to spar almost anytime

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
First week of the month is sparring week. It's usually toward the end of class. Must have successfully completed your first test in order to spar.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is about the same for my school with the exception that they probably don't do sparring now being that I haven't taught a class at the school in 3 months. I'll be glad when I can get back back to hard training

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We generally spar about once a week, but it's not cast in stone (and if it was, we'd use the stone for breaking...).
New students who haven't yet obtained sparring gear will do non-contact sparring. By the time they get to 9th geup, they will be in pads and starting with contact sparring.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Starting at white belt, we have students put on chest protectors (we have some communal ones) and do controlled sparring drills a few times a month. At the end of that type of class, they'll usually do a few minutes of actual (WTF-style) sparring with light power.

We also have a weekly sparring class, which anyone who has their own gear can attend, regardless of rank. The intermediate & advanced students do sparring in their regular classes about every other week, in addition to sparring drill classes.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is dependent on the student and their dedication. If a student comes in twice a week, then they usually will spar once a week. If a student comes in six days a week, they usually spar around three days that week.

Again it is up to the individual student.

Some students have near perfect technique (beautiful side kicks, crisp punch combinations, etc.) so the majority of their development will take place in sparring, not from punching and kicking air.

Other students are very lacking in the technique department, for them it would be more beneficial to work on other drills, and keep the sparring reduced for a short while.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i was invited to sparr the 1st day we sparr on wednesday is adult sparring i love sparring and on tuesday i help with the kids sparring the jr black and brown and then the beginners class sparring

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We start them sparring after about six months of one-steps, where they learn timing, distancing and control. We spar for 15-20 minutes every class.

Latest Discussions