bataireacht

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently posted this in the general area, and Frank Raud gave me some insight, but then suggested that i post it here since the people in this part of the forum.

"I recently came across this as an irish form of stick fighting (With many variants) but discovered it's nearly impossible to find any information on it. Does anyone know anything about it, or why it's so unpopular? (or if it's very popular and I just live in a bubble and fail at information gathering)."

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently posted this in the general area, and Frank Raud gave me some insight, but then suggested that i post it here since the people in this part of the forum.

"I recently came across this as an irish form of stick fighting (With many variants) but discovered it's nearly impossible to find any information on it. Does anyone know anything about it, or why it's so unpopular? (or if it's very popular and I just live in a bubble and fail at information gathering)."

It's more rare than unpopular, except in Ireland. It's far more practiced in North America than Ireland, and there are a number of groups here. In Ireland, their native MA have a bit of a bad reputation by association with undesireables. Also, those who train them in Ireland are wary of outsiders and are often unwilling to share with interested parties, making it hard for the Irish to learn them.

It is, however, incredibly cool. I know therse guys: http://www.irishstickfighter.com/Site_2/Home.html John gave a seminar at the AES in Calgary and we had a blast. Great stuff, very legit IMO.

Best regards,

-Mark

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I practice one form of Irish stickfighting.

Like Mark says, there are more people practicing in N. Am. than in Ireland. There's also some hard feelings between some. Specifically, the "leader" on one group has some beefs with prominent individuals in another group.

There is a yahoo group dedicated to Irish stickfighting, but the one gent referenced above seldom, if ever, posts there. It's actually been pretty low-traffic for the last little bit.

Are you interested in sampling any of the various styles?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have recently been checking out youtube and have found at least three styles. The Doyle Clan has some really good videos on the family system which appears to be quite in depth and traditional Irish bataireacht.

Thanks for the thread.

Don Daly