Sambo and MMA

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently came across the April issue of Train Hard, Fight Easy and came across a recent blurb on Sambo and it's benefits for MMA.

It states that Sambo training can boost MMA fighters' overall game, and that piqued my curiosity as to how is this the case.

I'm especially curious about a variant known as Combat Sambo (from what I'm tracking it's the variant which has striking included versus some forms of Sport Sambo which mostly seem grappling related).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I know of Sambo (little, and none first hand) it's mostly grappling, Judo based. But a few of the guys I've trained with had some experience in New York at one of the Combat Sambo schools. They raved about it, said it had a great mix of punching and kicking to go along with their grappling skills. They really loved the style, and they weren't rookies.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sambo is Punches and Kicks etc, but its primarily Pick Up and Slams.

I like it.
Ive never done it Myself, but I cant see how it couldnt better You.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds good. FIAS from what I see is the governing body for Sambo, I'll check their website for sites to train.

Stephen Koepfer

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to necro this old thread. But I was just curious in the OP ever found a place to train sambo?