Bas Rutten Self Defense

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I saw this one before, Bas is off the wall!

A MMA star displaying a wrist lock control technique? Is he nuts? Maybe someone should tell him that "those don't work".

The last part would go really well with the thread on talking to the police, but I'm not so sure it would work ou the way he says...

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know what Bruce Lee said about that kind of thing?

He said if you go around punching and kicking people, someone is going to pull a gun from their pocket and shoot you.

I don't see Bas Rutten is a LEO, or has been in the military. Nor has he used any of this on the street to defend himself. Yes I know about his black belts, his UFC, MMA, etc...

But like the thread about 'round short' people being denighed training, if his system takes super body buildning and athletics and being a 'bad ***' character, well someone is gonna pull a gun out of their pocket....

Deaf

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bas - he rocks! But don't make the mistake of handing a low life in your house a knife, plant it on him later when the job is well done.

I also dig his other SD vids, particularly the one in the club using the edge of a table against a bums head in a 'reasonable application of force'.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also dig his other SD vids, particularly the one in the club using the edge of a table against a bums head in a 'reasonable application of force'.

yep that one has some interest techniques in it.
Yes he seems to be off the wall much of the time LOL

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Bas does things for comedic effect. But, also Bas used to be a bouncer before his professional fighting career so he probably has been in some street scraps before.

Also, Bas is not from the US and things might go a little differently where he was from. I think he is Dutch? Can't remember right off hand.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what Bruce Lee said about that kind of thing?

He said if you go around punching and kicking people, someone is going to pull a gun from their pocket and shoot you.

I don't see Bas Rutten is a LEO, or has been in the military. Nor has he used any of this on the street to defend himself. Yes I know about his black belts, his UFC, MMA, etc...

But like the thread about 'round short' people being denighed training, if his system takes super body buildning and athletics and being a 'bad ***' character, well someone is gonna pull a gun out of their pocket....

Deaf
You are mistaken......Bas worked for years as a bouncer before MMA! He's probably logged more 'street' time that most folks you or I know combined.

As for pulling a gun out of their pocket, if they're going to do that they're going to do it anyway, and if they're going to do that for hitting them, it's only because you didn't hit them right. ;)

The old 'well, someone will just pull a gun' is an inaccurate cliche that misses the types of situations and parts of those situations that guns are drawn in.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bas Rutten came to the world premiere of The Sensei starring D. Lee Inosanto. He is quite the character. He has a great sense of humor and does not take himself seriously, but keep in mind he has some serious skills.

Latest Discussions