Balancing Skill and Intensity (hubad drills)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[yt]pfSrYNDCtBU[/yt]

Interesting take on hubad drills.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good observations. Maybe I simply learned and began using a corrupted version of the drill from the beginning, but I didn't see anything particularly different or unorthodox about their application. One of the advantages of hubud is its adaptability and the skills that can be worked off the base pattern.

Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed it.

Joel

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good observations. Maybe I simply learned and began using a corrupted version of the drill from the beginning, but I didn't see anything particularly different or unorthodox about their application.

Me too. And even so, my biggest problem with hubud is that it still uses four beats to accomplish an attack and counter that feels like it should be done in one beat. Of course, each move can also be done as a gunting, or "defanging the snake". Or I suppose you could interpret each check and hit to the arm as a surrogate for striking directly to the body. Even so I'd rather take the most direct course. I never liked "defanging the snake" when you can just chop it's head off.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Me too. And even so, my biggest problem with hubud is that it still uses four beats to accomplish an attack and counter that feels like it should be done in one beat. Of course, each move can also be done as a gunting, or "defanging the snake". Or I suppose you could interpret each check and hit to the arm as a surrogate for striking directly to the body. Even so I'd rather take the most direct course. I never liked "defanging the snake" when you can just chop it's head off.

You make a good point. I do, however, try to think of each beat as a potential strike and execute it thusly when it is available.

There are other, shorter patterns that get to the counter-strike quicker. I suppose hubud teaches you how to continue the flow when the rapid strike isn't there and shows you additional options for tying up the attacker.

Joel

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it's a fun drill.

Add inserts.

Change level.

Practice footwork.

Experiment and see what develops.

Thank you all for your replies and insights.

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[yt]pfSrYNDCtBU[/yt]

Interesting take on hubad drills.

I just started learning Hubad Lubad and I am very impressed with the practicality of the technique as well as the thought process behind its conception.

I see what the guy is saying about the two different versions of the drill, but I don't think the first one is any less valid than the second. I was taught both just recently, and I have to say I can see the first one working well against circular attacks.

When I was a brown belt in TKD we learned a technique where you simply slide back and up in your stance as a round house kick comes in to the mid section allowing you to gently palm it past your body as you are just out of its range IE redirecting the energy and over extending your opponents attack leaving there back open. I personally think that something similar to the first hubad drill shown would be more effective as you would not get kicked if you failed to create enough distance as there is an arm to block with. Same can be said of a hook punch, so while I agree with what he's saying I think the second one is really valuable.

This is just a newbies view on the whole thing, though I will say in my TKD experience it seems to work best to block round kicks and hooks head on.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just started learning Hubad Lubad and I am very impressed with the practicality of the technique as well as the thought process behind its conception.

I see what the guy is saying about the two different versions of the drill, but I don't think the first one is any less valid than the second. I was taught both just recently, and I have to say I can see the first one working well against circular attacks.

When I was a brown belt in TKD we learned a technique where you simply slide back and up in your stance as a round house kick comes in to the mid section allowing you to gently palm it past your body as you are just out of its range IE redirecting the energy and over extending your opponents attack leaving there back open. I personally think that something similar to the first hubad drill shown would be more effective as you would not get kicked if you failed to create enough distance as there is an arm to block with. Same can be said of a hook punch, so while I agree with what he's saying I think the second one is really valuable.

This is just a newbies view on the whole thing, though I will say in my TKD experience it seems to work best to block round kicks and hooks head on.

I think you are talking about redirecting the force or maybe continuing the force of the kick past you? Which is a bit different then the first drill, where you stop the motion or interrupt the motion and then pass it by.

However speaking of kicks you can insert knees, foot stomps, front kicks, and low roundhouse kicks into Hubud as well, you are just in a closer more realistic distance than regular sparring.

As a side note as a brown belt in TKD I was shown this drill by a friend, and thought that it was to slow, not fast enough to strike back, as some have mentioned I too thought it had to many motions. Years later one night after FMA class we worked on a Hubud drill that was similar to the 2nd drill series shown, against a straight punch. Later that night I went to another school and sparred with some other instructors and I used the same motions against their back fist and straight punches. They couldn't figure out what I was hitting them with, I didn't recognize it either till it occurred to me I was doing the vertical fist Hubud drill we worked on earlier that night.

So much for it being to slow or to many motions, it can be very effective.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting video clip, it just shows a different way to apply techniques and concepts out of a pattern. Although I believe a very good way.

However the first Hubud pattern does have it's qualities as well. By always starting on the outside of the arm limits you to only responses on the outside of the arm. What about inside responses.

On the first hit/block it could also be a hook punch to the face. It could be a block and at the same time insert a punch/finger jab/ you name it strike to the head with the other hand. Or it could be practiced as a block and interruption hit and then a pass to get to the outside of the arm and from there practice a foot sweep or something.

I believe all versions have some merit some more than others.

Mark

Latest Discussions