Bajiquan

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey xu sheng, didnt jet li introduced us with this style in his movie "the one" and didnt donnie yen used it also in "dragon tiger gate"???

Or maybe Im wrong :/

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey xu sheng, didnt jet li introduced us with this style in his movie "the one" and didnt donnie yen used it also in "dragon tiger gate"???

Or maybe Im wrong :/

I don't know about Donny Yen but Jet Li in "The One" was using Baguazhang for Gabe Law (the good Jet Li) and Xingyiquan for Gabriel Yulaw (the Bad Jet Li)

Baji is or can be a pretty hard core style, it was the style of choice for Chiang Kai-shek's bodyguards

I find of late I am rather interested in CMA styles that are/were used in Chinese and Taiwanese Government and Military and Baji is one of them as is Xingyiquan and of course Sanda and there is another on Taiwan but the name escapes me at the moment.

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about Donny Yen but Jet Li in "The One" was using Baguazhang for Gabe Law (the good Jet Li) and Xingyiquan for Gabriel Yulaw (the Bad Jet Li)

Baji is or can be a pretty hard core style, it was the style of choice for Chiang Kai-shek's bodyguards

I find of late I am rather interested in CMA styles that are/were used in Chinese and Taiwanese Government and Military and Baji is one of them as is Xingyiquan and of course Sanda and there is another on Taiwan but the name escapes me at the moment.

Yeah interesting style, its really a amazing style, wish I could practice it, but we dont have kung fu schools here, yeah that means that donnie yen used it in "dragon tiger gate" but bajiquan is also known for "the dragon palm" style, right?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tried to find that other Taiwanese art, but all I could find from Taiwan was Ch'ang Taiji invented by Chang Tung Sheng (1908 - 1986). Its a combination of Yang taiji, xingyi, and shuaijiao. Then there was Hong Yixiang's Tang Shou Tao. both were taught to the Taiwanese police and some government people.

I also found Jing Quan Do which was created by Alex Tao (Tao Zhong Xian). It is often called China's Police combat Method. Tao now lives in southern California.

That's the best I could do. It is an interesting subset of martial arts, those used by officals and bodyguards.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I tried to find that other Taiwanese art, but all I could find from Taiwan was Ch'ang Taiji invented by Chang Tung Sheng (1908 - 1986). Its a combination of Yang taiji, xingyi, and shuaijiao. Then there was Hong Yixiang's Tang Shou Tao. both were taught to the Taiwanese police and some government people.

I also found Jing Quan Do which was created by Alex Tao (Tao Zhong Xian). It is often called China's Police combat Method. Tao now lives in southern California.

That's the best I could do. It is an interesting subset of martial arts, those used by officals and bodyguards.

I had to look for the video I have of it, I beleive it is Chung I Chuan (Zhong Yi Quan in Pinyan) and it was possibly created by a Baji teacher for the Taiwan military

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had to look for the video I have of it, I beleive it is Chung I Chuan (Zhong Yi Quan in Pinyan) and it was possibly created by a Baji teacher for the Taiwan military

That sounds really familiar and I think the reason is because it is mentioned in Robert Smith's book Chinese Boxing. In that he also refers to bagua as the policeman's art (but that might be because one of the people he was learning from was a policeman).

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I need to look at the video again but if I remember correctly it looks like a simplified verson of Baji. Something you would need if you wanted to train people quickly, much like the PRC's Police Militray Sanda.

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting style... here's another video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions