Xingyiquan

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I have not seen a lot of application of xingyi forms. That was good.

By the way, did you check out Zhou's Bajiquan xingpi quan videos as well? Xingpi looks like it derives from xingyi's pi quan.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting. I have not seen a lot of application of xingyi forms. That was good.

By the way, did you check out Zhou's Bajiquan xingpi quan videos as well? Xingpi looks like it derives from xingyi's pi quan.

I did watch that and I am rather intrigued by Baji but

I do not know enough about Bajiquan history to say yes or no for certain but I do not believe Baji comes from Xingyiquan.

Form mind boxing, 5 elements, splitting fist >>> Xingyiquan, 形意拳Wu Xing, 五行 Piquan is splitting Fist Pi being 劈 and quan 拳

But Xing here may or may not mean the same as Xing of Xingyi

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did watch that and I am rather intrigued by Baji but

I do not know enough about Bajiquan history to say yes or no for certain but I do not believe Baji comes from Xingyiquan.

Form mind boxing, 5 elements, splitting fist >>> Xingyiquan, 形意拳Wu Xing, 五行 Piquan is splitting Fist Pi being 劈 and quan 拳

But Xing here may or may not mean the same as Xing of Xingyi
Good to know. But just to warn ya, one of these days I'm going to have to start correcting your Turkish. :D

OH, and I still gotta view the vids. Late to the party and all. :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Same to you. :mad:

All I said was "hao" which means OK or good.

I assure you it was not meant to offend and I meant to add the OK in front of it (OK 好) like I did in the previous translation but I apparently forgot that

Things are a bit crazy here today and I was not as careful as I should have been

My apologies :asian:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I said was "hao" which means OK or good.

I assure you it was not meant to offend and I meant to add the OK in front of it (OK 好) like I did in the previous translation but I apparently forgot that

Things are a bit crazy here today and I was not as careful as I should have been

My apologies :asian:
Dude, I was kidding. ;) Nice of you to care, but no worries. :D

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the solo forms from the first links, the art looks smooth and... well, I wondered what I was seeing (would it really work?). In this teaching footage, I now see what I missed: he's a body fighter, using his whole body to move or strike the opponent. This is what I learned CMA to be.

A few glaring examples: About 3:20, he turns what I'd call a hanging or wing 'block' into a driving arm bar by stepping (taking his whole body) through the opponent's space. At 4:45, I learned that shoulder bump in another CMA. Since your momentum is meeting his, it's very effective (and we found it can be intensified by grabbing the arms he throws out to keep his balance and pulling him around you--and down). At 5:15, similar to what I learned as the 'double down' block--lots of power because of body movement/weight.

And then there were about ten times that many things I learned for the first time by watching the rest of the vid. Great find! Thanks.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In the solo forms from the first links, the art looks smooth and... well, I wondered what I was seeing (would it really work?). In this teaching footage, I now see what I missed: he's a body fighter, using his whole body to move or strike the opponent. This is what I learned CMA to be.

A few glaring examples: About 3:20, he turns what I'd call a hanging or wing 'block' into a driving arm bar by stepping (taking his whole body) through the opponent's space. At 4:45, I learned that shoulder bump in another CMA. Since your momentum is meeting his, it's very effective (and we found it can be intensified by grabbing the arms he throws out to keep his balance and pulling him around you--and down). At 5:15, similar to what I learned as the 'double down' block--lots of power because of body movement/weight.

And then there were about ten times that many things I learned for the first time by watching the rest of the vid. Great find! Thanks.

One thing to remember (which you have pointed out already with "he's a body fighter”) about most CMA, particularly those styles lumped into the "Internal" category, the body is a fist. Basically if you miss with a palm strike it becomes an elbow miss with the elbow it becomes a shoulder strike kind of thing. And Xingyiquan is very much into hitting with as much of your body as possible. In the palm strike in Piquan the idea is to focus all your available body weight and power into that palm strike. The force comes downward and forward and I am told at higher levels it has an upward force as the last part of the strike as well.

Xingyiquan looks rather simplistic and boring to many and there really does not appear to be much to it when you look at plain forms. But it takes a lot of time to gain the alignment necessary to produce the power that Xingyi is famous for. Simply put, Xingyi hits like a truck and it isn't magic it is training.

And I want to add your posts here are helping me make a rather hard CMA training decision, thanks

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Zhou Jingxuan has some great flexibility and goes really low in that posture!!

In the linking form you can see the intent and focus displayed and the power generated to me this real smooth Hsing yi.

Great videos.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing to remember (which you have pointed out already with "he's a body fighter”) about most CMA, particularly those styles lumped into the "Internal" category, the body is a fist. Basically if you miss with a palm strike it becomes an elbow miss with the elbow it becomes a shoulder strike kind of thing. And Xingyiquan is very much into hitting with as much of your body as possible. In the palm strike in Piquan the idea is to focus all your available body weight and power into that palm strike. The force comes downward and forward and I am told at higher levels it has an upward force as the last part of the strike as well.
Well, now it's my turn to steal from you. :D I've heard this many times, but never taken it in until now. :)

Xingyiquan looks rather simplistic and boring to many and there really does not appear to be much to it when you look at plain forms. But it takes a lot of time to gain the alignment necessary to produce the power that Xingyi is famous for. Simply put, Xingyi hits like a truck and it isn't magic it is training.
Perfect. I'm stealing that, too. ;)

nd I want to add your posts here are helping me make a rather hard CMA training decision, thanks
I'm humbled. :asian:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, now it's my turn to steal from you. :D I've heard this many times, but never taken it in until now. :)

Perfect. I'm stealing that, too. ;)

STEAL :xtrmshock That's it :tantrum: one more step and this tree gets it

15_19_15---Tree_web.jpg

:rpo: :uhyeah:

Actually I stole the body is a fist from one of my sifus so go for it :D

Latest Discussions