Bait? Food? Sushi!!

T

TheRustyOne

I know I love sushi...what about everyone else? If ya do, what's your fav. types?

i love dragon rolls -- a shrimp tempura roll topped with eel and avacado...yum...

my friend, lindy, loves boston and philly rolls.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TR1,

I just can bring myself to eat sushi. I've been to japanese restuarants, and everyone's pigged out on it, but I just don't have the nerve! I want my food oven cooked!

OP
M

Master of Blades

Futo Maki, Cucumber Maki, Nigri Sushi.........all sorts. I eat almost anything :D

OP
P

pknox

Sushi is the absolute best. I don't mess with rolls too much, other than the occassional spicy tuna. I'm a straight sushi man, and love sashimi even more. I love tuna (regular and belly), salmon, all kinds of roe, and smoked eel, but my absolute favorite is octopus. I have eaten well over 2 dozen pieces of octopus (tako) sashimi in one sitting, and would do it again in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact, I may go right now. ;) Don't even bother with the soy sauce or the wasabi -- just slam that sucker down! Chase it with a Sapporo or an Ichiban, and it's even better.

OP
T

TheRustyOne

salmon roe is too salty for me, whitefish is really slimy -- bleh, and octopus...that just scares me

(yesh, i've had all three types)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edamamme, Yellowtail Sashimi, UNAGI (Unagi is my favorite) Kappa Maki...

About the only think I didnt like were the Spider Rolls... Softshell crab is kinda icky anyhow.

OP
M

MountainSage

This Eastern Oregon Redneck doesn't eat bait.

Mountain Sage

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stick to the 'cooked' stuff. California and shrimp rolls. My GF cant get enough eel. Theres a Buffet place in Rochester NY thats got some pretty decent sushi... best I've had so far was at a Marriott of all places.

:D

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
My GF cant get enough eel.

Thats because UNAGI RULES! (And I bet you thought I was gonna say something dirty about that... :D )

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
Thats because UNAGI RULES! (And I bet you thought I was gonna say something dirty about that... :D )

No comment.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't like sushi per se but,

we have a kick butt japanese retaurant called Mt. Fuji that serves awesome cooked food in addition to sushi....

eddamame, yakitori, sticky rice, hibachi steak, chicken teriyaki, yaki soba, gyoza....just had it on saturday (drool).

OP
E

Elfan

I miss suchi... kinda hard to find any in the middle of nowhere PA.

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by arnisador
No way. Bring me beef instead--and cook it.

Not saying beef is bad, bro. I love that too...and chicken, pork, lamb, venison, etc...

I especially love the beef in Japanese restaurants, as it is usually SOOO tender. Beef Negamaki is usually what we start with before we hit the sushi. I also had a karate instructor who regularly made the best beef sukiyaki I've ever had...restaurant or not.

I will basically eat anything that's dead, or wants to be. :D

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by Elfan
I miss suchi... kinda hard to find any in the middle of nowhere PA.

Believe it or not, it's actually not that hard to make your own. There are quite a few good books on the subject. The trick is to get the freshest fish you can find, and the sharpest knife you can buy. Supposedly salmon is the perfect starter for those who choose to "roll their own" so to speak.

And you can always make the veggie rolls.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, simple Sushi Recipe:

Basic Sushi Recipe Ingredients:

3 1/3 cups of uncooked rice - use only a high quality medium grain white calrose rice (ie: Nishiki or Kohaku)

4 cups of water

Cook the rice, spoon into plastic or glass bowl and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. (Room temperature is good, though I prefer mine slightly chilled)

Mix 5 Tbs of Rice Vinegar, 5 Tbs Sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbs Mirin over low heat until sugar n salt are disolved. Force cool by either placing pan in freezer for a bit, or sitting pan in an ice bath.

Slowly mix a little of the vinegar solution into the rice until its at a nice consistancy...still sticky. Don't over season, because the rice won't stick together then.

Note: Use plastic or wooden utensils as metal will react with the vinegar.

For a roll, you need the toasted seaweed.
Spoon it on and spread out carefully so that its about 1/3" high, and covers about 5/6th of the sheet. Place sliced fish, vegetables, egg or whatever in the 1st 1/4. slowly and carefully roll it up. (Note: you can lightly mosten your fingers to keep the rice from sticking.) Slice the roll into 6-8 pieces.

For a single serving:
Take a small amount of seasoned rice, roll into a ball then form into a small rounded square. Place a piece of fish, butterflied shrimp or egg on top. You can tie it with a small thong of seaweed if you wish.

Pour some good soysauce into a bowl (I recomend Kikoman), and add wasabi to taste. Pick up a piece of sushi and quick dip (Dont Dunk!) the eat. It is normal to eat it in 1-2 bites.

:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a sushi section at my local grocer's, with an outside staff (all of Oriental descent) that runs it.

Latest Discussions