Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mil01.jpg

I got to play with firearms.

:)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the old "green card" generation too I see...very nice.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made the world safe for Democracy. And got a good tan.

Circa 1981, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Camp Wilson, Twenty-Nine Palms, California.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
White with a photo, computer chip and bar code.....not to mention, the whole beret thing and it's ACU's now instead of BDU's.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White with a photo, computer chip and bar code.....not to mention, the whole beret thing and it's ACU's now instead of BDU's.

Hehehe, we ate C-Rats and wore Sateens instead of camouflage utilities (in boot camp). We went to rip-stop poplin cammies after boot camp, and woodland pattern (with Elvis collars) after I deployed to the fleet. We had no Hummers, no MRE's, and we carried the Colt 1911A1, just as God intended.

OP
YinYang

YinYang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first 4 years in the Infantry, I was a 60 gunner. And I was issued a 1911 to take to the field with me. Now that... was a weapon! (Both the 60 and the 1911! HA HA)

Andrew

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Hehehe, we ate C-Rats and wore Sateens instead of camouflage utilities (in boot camp). We went to rip-stop poplin cammies after boot camp, and woodland pattern (with Elvis collars) after I deployed to the fleet. We had no Hummers, no MRE's, and we carried the Colt 1911A1, just as God intended.

You entered your USMC cervice just as Olive drab was giving way to the old 4 color woodland; by the time we in the MA State Guard were stood down, we were the last people in MA connected in any way with the Army/Nat'l Guard to still be wearing the "salad suits".

Just an interesting observation that Both our uniforms are vintage now.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll go back a ways.... I enlisted in 1964, cleverly being discharged just before "Nam" got really hot.

I was a medic, and issued an M1911. The standard infantry rifle in Germany was the M-14, we also had the M14E2 full-auto version, the M-60 Machine gun, the M-79 grenade launcher, etc.
Anti-armor weapons included the LAW (the throw-away bazooka) and the 90mm shoulder-fired recoilless rifle.
A the company level, we had the jeep-mounted 105 (or was it 106?) mm recoilless.
Our standard transport (being "mechanized" infantry) was the M113 APC, but we had plenty of jeeps and were just transitioning to the M151.
Our medic jeep had been built the year I was born, 1946, and was on it's third engine!
Our job (we were told) was to slow down the Russians if they came across the border....

Latest Discussions